Happy to be white?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Jonathan-S29077
    Participant
    Ok Jarrett, I am from the south side of Chicago and I am a white male. Your trying to tell me that white people do not feel racism. You do not know anything. I hope your happy with your upper middle class income. Be happy and dont say anything because you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Where I live I am the minority, as you probably know, and believe me black people take extreme advantage of that. I have probably felt more racism than you have. Try going to a job and working there for almost a year and no one will even say hi to you. Yeah, was not my idea of a fun time. Black people are just as bad as white people, it just seems worse since the country is about 70% white.

User Detail :  

Name : Jonathan-S29077, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

teeewalk
    Participant
    In your rebutle message you wrote: 'The Afro-American has been stratified to the bottom of American society, and in many people's eyes (not just whites), we are seen as sub-human simply because of the color of our skin.' Do you really believe this? If you do then it's no wonder you don't feel happy. You have talked yourself out of being happy by focusing on all the negative information (or misinformation) that is being fed to you. Happiness is a choice - not a birthright. Once you realize that you might start being as happy as you presume white people are.

User Detail :  

Name : teeewalk, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 33, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Web Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sara28321
    Participant
    I think, people of all races should be proud and happy about who they are...we all have diffrences and we should be proud of those. Im happy to be white because, Im happy to be me. You should be happy to be black because you're, you! But, we all have our hardships, and every situation is diffrent for each person. But, I guess because Im not a part of a minority I can't understand where you are coming from.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara28321, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 17, City : St.Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

AngelaS24963
    Participant
    It's hard to be 'happy just to be white' when you are blamed for the ignorant attitudes of some of your anscestors and are percieved as 'the devil'.

User Detail :  

Name : AngelaS24963, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 24, City : Prince Georges County, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

alex
    Participant
    all of what you speak of only comes from a white supremacist society...which you as well as minority people help to entertain. ANd here it comes 'I am not a racist', oh but you are my dear friend....see your comment.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

alex
    Participant
    White people also blame when lifes shit. Lets face it, no matter ethnicity, humans complain all the time. What you said just shows everyone that you cannot even begin to under stand life as a person of color in the US. and boy oh boy i know you wont even try. But get this; go live in one of the poorest neighorhood in america with your children and family, the ones you love. See your own people shot everyday, selling drugs to each other, children cursing, and teaching your child. Send your children to less then worthy public schools, because you have no choice. Then come back and tell us how you live life. You think these people, people of color live like this because they want to? Many have given up hope because they werent given the chance. Listen to a child of color ask why he doesnt see anyone to look like him on any TV show or commercial. Talk to a African native upon his arrivl in chicago and noticing all of the African Americans they never show on TV or mention in his home land.And for you to say somethin like that, you might as well have owned a slave or killed natives and took their land, although your blood is rich with the blood of those abused and slain. You arent any better. And this is what a White supremacist world has given us. Perhaps then you can come back and talk.

User Detail :  

Name : alex, Gender : F, Race : *poweRpuFF greeN*, Age : 19, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : *maDsCienTist*, 

Christina32041
    Participant
    I know you do get racism a lot, but at least you aren't taught in school that you're evil! From birth white people are taught that we are evil. All of us are responsible for slavery and all racism that has ever occured. We never are told about the white people who fought to end slavery, or those who helped the civil rights movement, to history they didn't exist. Now all young white people want to be black, tanning, getting lip and butt implants, some even go so far as to completely act and dress like a black person, because they are taught to be ashamed of what they are. Maybe you are told bad things about your people, but at least its not in every school movie and book involving racial relations.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina32041, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, City : Long Beach, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine32082
    Participant
    Generally, yes, I am glad to be white, when I hear about some of the crap that non-whites have put up with. Sometimes white people will get a sampling of these experiences, though. I once had a black professor who was so bitter about her past experiences with white people that she gave me lower grades than I earned because I didn't apologize for all the things whites have done to her (I felt bad for her, sure, but I wasn't going to take personal responsibility for other people's behavior). My brother couldn't apply for most of the college scholarships he read about because he wasn't a 'minority.' I have had skin problems since I was a teenager and to some people this is a major deal (it's not just color! That's how ridiculous people are!). But yes, I'm happy to be white and proud of my heritage (though I would hesitate to say this anywhere but here for fear of being mistaken for a neo-Nazi - it's happened!!), just as anyone should embrace and be proud of who they are. But other than being aware of my privileges as a white person, what more should I do? The black profesor I mentioned believed that white people should so something about it, but what? On one hand, whites are expected to right the wrongs of the past, but on the other hand when whites try to do such things, blacks or natives or whoever are offended, as if the whites are implying that the non-whites can't do things for themselves. I'm at a crossroads about that one.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine32082, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Spring Park, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christina32048
    Participant
    I vehemently disagree that Whites are never victims of racism...Racism against Whites by Blacks is fairly common place in many areas, being white and growing up poor near DC I'd know. I have been subjected to blatant incidents of racism and harrassment for being a white girl/white trash/cracker--you name it, and I don't deserve it any more than black people deserve it from whites. The problem is many blacks seem to think they are completely justified in their hatred of white people and there is just no reasoning with people that will hate you no matter what. I suppose that is a whole other topic! Basically I am happy with myself, whiteness and all. I won't let a few bitter black racists make me ashamed of who I am or make me feel that I am somehow personally responsible for the misfortunes in their lives. I also won't let those negative experiences shape the way I feel about all other blacks. In conclusion, maybe I'm different than most whites in that I am more concious of my race, I think most whites take it for granted because most of them live in predominantly white communities where it honestly isn't an issue for them.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina32048, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 22, City : Grand Forks, State : ND Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt22027
    Participant
    Racism works all ways, no matter what race. I have many white friends, many black friends, and many hispanic friends. Personally, I think racism is senseless, I hate to hear anyone be the victim of racism. Racism is just ignorance. Some people are racist because they are afraid to ask about someone's culture. I don't understand why some people hate a race simply because they talk different than them. We are all the same, yet at the same time, we are all different. I am 15 years old, white, and from central Florida. I see racism daily, at school, at home, and around town. I am effected by racism, I've been called 'white bread, white boy, cracker, etc, etc' But I never use durogatory terms towards one certain race. We are all here together, why not get along and make things easier? I like to get to know everyone's culture. I am not sure what religion I am because I can't conform to a religion's 'rules' unless I believe in them. I have my own beliefs, and my own opinions, and I would like to represent myself, rather than using an orginization of people to speak for me. The only reason why people are stereotypical towards someone or something, is because people are different. People are different, and unless you are used to something, you will always have questions about it, and you will always make presumptions about it. Ask, listen, and tell. That's the only way to alleviate it.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22027, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : Lakeland, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Middle class, 

Brittany23064
    Participant
    Just because I'm a white person, it doesn't mean my life is any better than a black persons. I'd rather not be white with half of my family having gotten shot in this stupid town and be like my black friend, who lives in a nice hime in va with money to spare. Being white doesn't make things easy.

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany23064, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Washington DC, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Shawn I
    Participant
    'because they are not victims of racism ' I go to a majority black high school where in the average class there are about 20-25 black students and 2-7 white students.I'm going to assume you live in a majority white area in which you receive lots of abuse which has resulted in the way you think. I am white, and receive lots of comments from blacks because i am white. Throughout all of my classes, with the exception of the majority white honors clases, I hear black people making fun of whites, criticizing whites, and straight up talking about how they wish they could kill one of them. 'Racism' isn't something that is only directed towards blacks, racism is directed towards every race there is. I know that a majority black high school isn't the majority in this country, but take in consideration that discrimination towards whites does happen and in my case every day that i am in school. Outside of school I live in a majority white suburb so i don't receive that abuse. You say we don't know what it's like to be black, well you don't know what's it's like to be white. Yes, racial stereotypes occur and whites get advantages, but the same thing happens for people of other ethinic backgrounds also. A manager at my friends McDonalds is black and if someone calls in that, based on their speech (ebonics) ask for a job in an impolite, unsophisticated way, they won't even grant them an interview. (yes, one McDonalds, but i made a point) Just realize that more often than not people get ahead and more oppurtunities do to their manners, education, etc. It's not my fault you're too ignorant to realize that white people don't get everything they want.

User Detail :  

Name : Shawn I, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 14, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : No occupation, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

JJ30536
    Participant
    Jarret I don't know why you're asking people are they happy to be white. You should be happy to be black. I know i am. Yeah, sometimes we run into racial discrimination sometimes but who does'nt? no matter if you're white, black, asian, puerto rican, native american, whatever, somebody is going to hate you because of your race and you are going to face some problems in life. That's just the way the world is. I don't know what you've been through but some people exaggerate the situation just to get sympathy. But as for me I love everything about being black and I don't even want to think of how life would be if i were white. In fact, when people try to stop you from accomplishing something because of your race, it just helps you to keep striving to get what you want. If everything came easy to you, how could you say that you accomplished anything.

User Detail :  

Name : JJ30536, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 15, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Luann22614
    Participant
    Yes, I'm happy to be white. I wouldn't mind being of another race however, I would not want to be black, I don't think. I would be constantly angry with my own people if I were black. I think I could handle most of the discrimination but I couldn't handle my people not wanting to better themsleves, and not taking steps to do so, at least in the area I now live in. I nor any other white person cannot imagine what it would be like to be black, you may think you can, but it's impossible.

User Detail :  

Name : Luann22614, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : Jasper, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : CPA, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Leslie-Marie
    Participant
    Do not be happy just because you are a certin race, be happy because who you are inside. When it comes down to it we are all the same, we all come from the same God.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie-Marie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Here, State : OH Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.