Happy to be white?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

William
    Who sees black people as sub-human? Why do you assume most whites look at you that way? Do you think that we enjoy this tension between blacks and whites? Do you really think that white FOLKS, only feel prejudiced because your skin is dark? Do you not realize that it has something to do with how so many dark skinned people are, or behave? Get a grip, clean up your backyard, then you can talk to us about ours, we might even listen.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    Why is it that the whites who wrote Jarrett back cannot make a point without being offensive or judgmental when the discussion teeters on race? Why do they have to say things like white people do not blame others for their problems (which is false)and that black people bring the majority of their problems on themselves? From what high horse do these men speak? White people are no more moral or 'righteous' than any other race on this planet. White people have children out of wedlock and 'baby-mama/daddy drama,' (watch Maury Povich and you'll see) but Muffy and Buffy's parents can afford abortions and to raise unplanned children so that at most they have to deal with the stigma of an unwed birth, but not the logistics of providing for it. There are more white women on welfare than black/hispanic women, but the face of welfare is portrayed as Black. So of course conceited white people such as those who responded will think the way they do. The answer to Jarrett's question is that white people enjoy an unconscious joy that only becomes evident when compared to other oppressed groups. It's a sense of relief and contentment that certain things will not happen to them because of who they are and not what they do or do not do. There's also comfort in knowing that the white race being so vast and diverse, they can divorce themselves from unpleasant/negative aspects of that race. That's where poor white trash, rednecks, and hillbillies come from. That's not true for blacks and other minorities who all get painted by the broadest brush. I hope this answers your question, J.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Ed. Admin. and Law School Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Frank21709
    Participant
    I disagree that 'white people don't blame someone else, because they realize life is sometimes a pile of crap and just move on.' I have found that many 'white' people (and I am a blue-eyed, fair-skinned Spanish/English mix) tend to blame 'quotas' when they do not get their way in a promotion or job, rather than accept that sometimes they are not qualified or as qualified.

User Detail :  

Name : Frank21709, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pagan, Age : 34, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bob23132
    Participant
    I'll give you an honest answer. Yes, I'm happy I'm white. I think this site is a great idea, but responders often seem to question the motives of the person asking about their race. They blame the person's attitude for the behaviour they are asking about. A while back someone asked why black people were poor tippers. A lot of black people said that the server must be letting their racist attitude affect the service they give black customers. What BS. I've waited on tables and you know what, black people are crummy tippers. There must be some reason for it and I thought this forum was a place you could ask why without letting the old rethoric get in the way. So anyway, back to your original question. I am happy I'm white because I know it spares me a lot of the grief that black people encounter. There are societal and self imposed road blocks for the black community that don't exist for me. I'm not happy it is that way, but I am happy that I am white the same way I would be happy if I were naturally slim and muscular.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob23132, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

justin27080
    Participant
    without going too too deep into it, i am happy to be white not because of the 'pole position' that puts me in, but despite of it. i guess it could be said that while you're being unjustly assumed to be commiting property crimes, i'm being unjustly assumed to be commiting hate crimes. you don't need due process or even a court to be tried and convicted for those. this is still better that going to jail for things you had nothing to do with. also, you'd be interested to note that i similarly recieve racial hostility from those outside of the traditional white/black bianary of racial discussion, the stigma being that i'm inferior and undeserving, but i don't get confronted with it directly because i'm not assumed to be trying to steal their wallet.

User Detail :  

Name : justin27080, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 28, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Marron-B22132
    Participant
    I feel white people are happy to be white because they know they have an implied privilege from the time they are born. Also, it has something to do with the supremacy that white people think they have over other races. White people think they are the only ones who are always right. Everyone else's culture is weird and wrong. Although White America enjoys this privileged life, I have never wanted to be white. Being black does have its drawbacks, but I will not feel inferior to or want to be a white person.

User Detail :  

Name : Marron-B22132, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, 

Jon27126
    Participant
    I have to say I am happy to be me. Happiness is not about race but ones sense of self. It is alittle ignorant to think the door of racism swings one way. I have to say that i am among the most hated group of people. The young, white, male. All I hear is that I am the cause of everyones problems just because i was born this way. If that not racist or sexist what is. I havent done anything!

User Detail :  

Name : Jon27126, Gender : M, City : Greenville, State : NC Country : United States, 

Jean
    Participant
    I never really thought about it until I read your message, but I guess you could say I am. It's not like I jump out of bed every day and think about being white, but when I think about what it would be like not to be white, I think I feel lucky. It sounds like some of the other people who responded were a little defensive and still want to blame problems resulting from prejudice on the person discriminated against. It's like they are saying, 'Well, that's what you get for not acting white.'

In fact, most of the complaints I hear white people making about blacks, Hispanics or any other race can be translated to mean that they don't act white enough: 'Why do they have to eat like that/drive like that/dance like that/talk like that? WE don't do those things.'

I realize I am guilty of holding my purse a little tighter when I see a young black man in baggy pants walking behind me, and I feel really bad about that. I think about how he must feel and that it must make him angry or sad to see my reaction. I don't consider myself prejudiced as it relates to liking people of other races, and I would never use a racial slur. However, I think I have been so influenced (brainwashed?) by what I see on TV and read in magazines that I react without thinking when I see someone who my mind tells me might be trouble. So I do think my life is easier, and I have far fewer obstacles because I'm white. I mean, I'm gay, but I'm generally not discriminated against, because my minority status isn't visible.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : Orange County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

kirk26401
    Participant
    You bet your ass I am happy to be white. I realize that as an attractive white male I have advantages and opportunities in life that would not be there if I were of another race, or fat, or ugly for that matter. But being attractive and outgoing also plays a large part in this equation, and I know this because of a sociological study that was done several years ago by my professor. But I do not take this for granted, and try to make full use of it whenever possible. Now that is an honest answer for you.

User Detail :  

Name : kirk26401, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : austin, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

jim30698
    Participant
    i actually think this is a very interesting question, and there a lot of different ways of looking at it. first of all, clearly defining 'happiness' is something philosophers, psychologists and theologians have been knocking themselves out trying to do for years. does it mean contentedness with one's circumstances? a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction? the accumulation of wealth? material comfort? a close-knit community? a sense of meaning? what is it that makes you happy? is it in small, intimately personal moments or as part of a larger picture of life? these questions are all important. certainly, our privileged status from having pale skin in a racist society gives us a certain amount of protection from having to ever think about the kind of negative experiences you describe. but i think there is the superficial happiness that comes from not thinking about others, a kind of shallow selfish happiness, as opposed to a deeper, rawer, more fulfilling happiness that comes from vulnerability and taking risks. maybe if i step out of my comfort zone and admit that things are unfairly easier for me because of the way i look, i will expose myself to some discomfort, but i believe that in the long run i will be happier because i have tried to do my part to create a better society. thank you so much for your question.

User Detail :  

Name : jim30698, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : prefer, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 37`, City : seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : writer/musician, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    i can understand where you can be coming from in your question. Though i suppose i am happy to be white, one thing that I have a problem with is when people, other whites, will make racist comments in front of me, thinking i suppose i agree because i am white, or when people feel their are racist motives behind something i do because they are not white... things i think that many other races do not have to face, though i could be wrong in that belief.

User Detail :  

Name : Savannah C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Beckley, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : cashier, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

David25866
    Participant
    Well, I guess, all things being equal, I'd rather be me as a white guy than a black guy. I suppose that very broadly, whites get some benefit of the doubt that blacks don't. However, if I were applying to a University, or a government job, or for a government contract, or for a large Corporate job, being black would be a HUGE advantage with my same skills etc. If I was in a black neighborhood, I'd rather be black to fit in, if in a white one, white. There is White Privelage, but there are some black privelages too, and I believe most whites don't think about it that much, I don't. But then again I'd rather be me as who I am, but not because I'm not black.

User Detail :  

Name : David25866, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Architect, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

teeewalk
    Participant
    'The Afro-American has been stratified to the bottom of American society, and in many people's eyes (not just whites), we are seen as sub-human simply because of the color of our skin.' Do you really believe this? If you do then it's no wonder you don't feel happy. You have talked yourself out of being happy by focusing on all the negative information (or misinformation) that is being fed to you. Happiness is a choice - not a birthright. Once you realize that you might start being as happy as you presume white people are.

User Detail :  

Name : teeewalk, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 33, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Web Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27364
    Participant
    How is it you can speak for all white people and generalize about likes and dislikes. Have you asked all white people how they feel or will you continue to guess?

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27364, Gender : M, Race : Norweigan American, Age : 33, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Ron29642
    Participant
    It's nice to see your list of stereotypes here. Who is the true racist here? Ask yourself that question and stop justifying your inabilities by pulling the 'race card'. White people have their own issues. Perhaps you should look at all the programs in this country that are set up to aid minorities as compared to whites.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron29642, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Waynesboro, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.