Gobbling up the groceries a cultural thing?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Tom24122
    Participant
    I want to address the posters responses which I think are the root of racial tension. Firstly the very idea of eating food that your roommate bought is only rude because we are culturally taught the it is so - there is likely a place on earth where it is not even considered rude. Secondly, the posters assume that the original poster is asking if its ok for African Americans to be rude, when he's really asking if this practise is considered rude - because, if so, then the roommate, consequently, is rude. Thirdly, the poster was asking IF this is common in the AA community, he was not asssuming that it is - thats why he asked in the first place - it could very well have been a cultural thing. I think these reactionary replies, that always assume racism/sexism/homophobia etc, contribute to misunderstanding between the races because it results in a close-down of much needed dialogue. The fact is, airing misgivings or confusion about other races/cultures is the only way to ever find a common ground and obtain a modicum of understanding. We all have to understand that just because someone does not understand us does not mean they are making hateful assumptions about us.

User Detail :  

Name : Tom24122, City : n/a, State : NA Country : United States, 

tara
    Participant
    what does that have to do with race? lol, just because someone is black and does something doesnt mean that is a symbol of blackness, or all black people do that, dont be silly. it just sounds like the roommate is a bitch

User Detail :  

Name : tara, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne-C24372
    Participant
    I find it interesting that the other roommates' food is not being taken. Is your girlfriend the only White roommate. Or is this particular jackass physically larger or seemingly 'tougher' than your girlfriend. I suspect that the behavior is caused by a combination of 'bullying' and simple 'dislike' for your girlfriend. The dislike can be either, well, she just doesnt like her, or it could be she doesnt like her because she is White. Yes, there are Black racists too.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C24372, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 42, City : Orange, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Quiche
    I lived with my brother for 2 years and he has a large family with 5 children. He seemed to think that in his house, we should all share because we are all family.I still think that under certain circumstances it should apply.But... I hoped that the roomie would recognize that when we are in college sometimes money is tight and everything is not up for grabs, especially if you didn't ask. Being African American,she should know this.But, I also think it's an ethics issue, YOU JUST DON'T TAKE! I think the lady crossed the line, and the food should be replaced or paid for.

User Detail :  

Name : Quiche, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Chef, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D. Ross
    For you to think stealing food is a 'black thing' shows ignorance on your part. Anyone can steal food, regardless of their race, color or national origin.

User Detail :  

Name : D. Ross, Gender : F, Age : 24, City : Ross, State : OH Country : United States, 

Anna28594
    Participant
    I am having a similar problem with a black roomate of mine. Although rather than eating groceries, she is talking on the phone in our small room while I am sleeping and turning on her TV with the volume up loud enough to drown out a movie I was watching before she even came in. Honestly, I think it is a racial thing. Although I am well aware that there are educated black people out there, they are not the average African American. The majority of this ethnicity are filling up government housing projects and prisons throughout the United States. They are uneducated and ignorant and feel a false sense of entitlement, weather that is because they think that they are tougher than white people because of the music they listen to, or they are claming the role of a victim oppressed by years of mistreatment, mistreatment that wouldn't have occured had they tried to adjust themselves to civilized society. Many of these people hate white people, you see it every day, and have this hatred reinforced by their music and culture. It sounds to me like your girlfriend's roomate is just what I have described, an uneducated, ignorant, future welfare collector that is probably just in college because she got a minority scholarship, and will spend the majority of her life in the projects raising her children to be just as hateful as she is.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna28594, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : n/a, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : gourmet chef, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.