Get rid of people who can’t contribute to society?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Ann
    Participant
    Will I be less of a person if I break my leg? Fail an exam? Never learn to fish? In my life, I've worked with children with disablities and 'normal' children. It's always been much more accurate, in my experience, to appreciate a child (or any person) for who he/she is rather than what he/she can do. We all know smart people that are pains in the ass and slower people that bring a smile to everyone's face. As for consumption of the Earth's resources, why don't we all conserve some by turning off our computers. Better yet, by not having them. How about no TVs, cars, extra clothes, and big houses? Then we can begin to talk about resource consumption without it being totally stupid and unrelated. All in all, I'm guessing you're afraid of retarded people. That's the only way I can imagine you thinking it is absurd for a parent to be happy their retarded child isn't dead.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Vancouver, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Mathematician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Aggerman
    Participant
    At first, disabled people were largely ignored by society until the Industrial Revolution made it quite clear that some people could work, some were unable. This led to a long history of hatred towards the disabled, institutionalization of the disabled, euthanisation and discrimination. See Nazi Germany for great example. In 2004, how can the notion of 'conributing to society' be valid. Assistive technology, more inclusion in society, and discrimination laws enable more and more disabled to contribute. People can contribute more than you think: love, support, compassion, friendship, respect. Qualities someone like you obviously lacks. How dare you assert an idea so pathetically without humanity! Maybe ignorant people like you should be gotten rid of.

User Detail :  

Name : Aggerman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : DMD, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ems25412
    Participant
    Hitlers ideas are abhorrent to us now over 1/2 a century after WWII what makes you think compassion, will have changed so much. What you are not proposing is a peaceful end to an otherwise life of misery you are talking about an enforced end to life. Someone in authority would have the ultimate decision over life. That is a scary concept - if the death penalty is not infallible what makes you think this could be. Ok taking your ignorant view where love has no value and the only concern is that the original post was 'Impractical' how do you justify euthanasia when these peoples very existence aids understanding of the body and develops new drugs and therapies. Its like finding a statistical anomolie and disregarding it before understanding where it came from and how to prevent future occurences. So not only are you inconsiderate and uncompassionate you are for want of a better phrasing ignorant and stupid

User Detail :  

Name : Ems25412, City : Enland, State : WY Country : United Kingdom, 

Jocelyn30574
    Participant
    I work in a factory that employs the very people you would call 'disabled'. Most have Down's Syndrome or other mental problems; they have part-time jobs here, receive their paychecks, pay their bills, and generally have a grand time trying to see who can accurately package the most product during one shift. They're a valuable asset to this company.

User Detail :  

Name : Jocelyn30574, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Taoist, Age : 26, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jeremy30480
    Participant
    my gut response is you Dumb A** mother F*@#@* I should beat you upside the head my Ethical response I am not an animal I am a human being that means no matter my limitations I strive to improve myself and the lives of those around me ( some mentaly challenged people I know are more human than you sound ) now my anilitical response First a short list of people who while disabled contributed to society Hellen Keller Bilnd & Deaf Bethoven Deaf Stephen hawking Multiple Disabilitys there are many others as well next the practial matters who decides? what is your litmis test as to what constitutes a contribitution to society ? at what age do you have to start contributing to society? can you stop contributing when you get into old age? what about children born to drug addicted mothers? at what point is it determined that a person will never contribute to society ? As to the resourses we need to find alternative resourses as it is we as a nation need to lead the world in finding alternatives , recycling and reuseing the resourses we do have as an engineer maybe that is how you can contribute to society. Old fassioned common sense response sir you first must think about the full impact of what you will say before you say it other wise you will look the fool .

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy30480, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Human, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Huntington, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Dishwasher, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Christy19496
    Participant
    Patrick, exactly what kind of contributors do you have in mind ? The kind that pump up oil and cut down forest for wood, raising cattles ? Those are the kind that destroy the earth's irreplacable resources. I could do without that kind of contributors. I won't be surprised if we will be vegetarians in 100 years. Some kind of contagious virus like Black Death that will cut down the population is much preferable over a bigot who thinks he should decide who gets to live or die. Disabled people are on this earth for a reason and it is to teach us that we should not take our abilities for grant ever.

User Detail :  

Name : Christy19496, City : SE, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.