Female jockeys?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ned
    Participant
    Are there female jockeys in horse racing? If not, why?

User Detail :  

Name : Ned, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Programmer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sue27736
    Participant
    Yes, there are female jockeys. I believe Julie Krone competed in the Kentucky Derby a few years back.

User Detail :  

Name : Sue27736, Gender : F, City : Canoga Park, State : CA Country : United States, 

PappaJerry
    Participant
    There have been a few female jockeys in racing since the '50s I believe. The first two or three had to overcome incredible discrimination, both from the other jockeys and from the owners. Owners' discrimination made it hard to get mounts. But I suspect the real reason is that controlling a race horse running at full speed requires incredible upper body strength. And few women the size of jockeys (110 pounds or so) have that.

User Detail :  

Name : PappaJerry, Gender : M, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
    John, you must visit a horse track. For peace and tranquility, go early in the morning when the horses are working out. To answer your question, here are some female jockeys (some trainers appreciate the weight allowance with them):
    Rachey LaVoy, at Aqueduct; Rosemary Homeister Jr., at Calder; Lisa Hammett, at Woodbine (purses are better in Canada); Cindy S. Noll, at Laurel; Kristi Chapman and Jennifer Bramblett (apprentice), at Calder & Churchill. One sees far fewer female jockeys with mounts at California tracks. Hope this helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Pari-mutuel-clerk19871, City : Bradenton, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : pari-mutuel clerk, 

June
    Participant
    There are several women jockeys competing at the highest level of the game today. Julie Krone won the Belmont and took home several meet titles on the New York circuit. It has nothing to do with strength, because women are naturally smaller than men and don't have to undergo the extreme dieting and other bodily abuses that male jockeys do, making them stronger by default. Women jockeys, like women athletes everywhere, made great strides in the '90s. It is now getting to the point that women jockeys on all the large racing circuits in America are competitive and well-received.

User Detail :  

Name : June, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : gambler, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

N.G.
    Participant
    Riding any horse takes a good deal of strength if the horse is not docile. Riding a horse that has been bred to run takes a surprising amount of strength. Get that horse on a racetrack where it is focused on only one thing, and they can be darned near impossible to control. If you ever see a male jockey with only a light shirt on his upper body, you can see they are incredibly fit athletes. Most women of such small size aren't physically able to build their upper body strength enough.

User Detail :  

Name : N.G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Lethbridge, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Program Director, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ellen
    Participant
    Do any of you jockeys, male or female, have a problem with the abuse that occurs with race horses? Before you write me off as an irrational animal lover, please, at least, answer this: how do you feel OK about the hitting/whipping you do to the horses you ride? Is it really all just about gaining money, or do you have any true affection for these animals? Be honest.

User Detail :  

Name : ellen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

L K
    I'm not a jockey, but I own an ex-racehorse. What I consider abuse is that they burned out her legs running her as a 2-year-old, while not fully developed. At shows, generally you can whip a horse 3 times in a row before the officials come to yell at you. I don't need to use a crop to make her go fast-- don't even need to kick-- but I hit when I need to, like she decides to have a hissy fit out in the middle of the road with truck coming, and I slap her shoulder or neck with my hand if she tries to bite me. Most horse owners I know feel the same way. BTW, excessive hitting is penalized by most good racetracks.

User Detail :  

Name : L K, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Laurel, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.