Dreadlocks on white people

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Nez
    Participant
    Do most black people find the idea of white people wearing dreadlocks offensive? I'm white and love the look and feel of dreadlocks, but I don't want to offend anybody by wearing them. I understand dreadlocks originated in a culture that I will never fully understand or really be a part of (Rastafarianism), but why couldn't I wear them if I like them? It's not a lifestyle, it's a hairstyle to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Nez, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Doug25640
    Participant
    You mention that people hate black people. Well, it works the other way to. Watch some of the 'black' comedy sitcoms or comedians. They bust on whites, are generally 'mean' to whites, stereotype whites and in the instance of the sitcoms, they depict whites as of lower intelligence who commit stupid and asinine acts as the 'black' stars of the show are always 'getting over' on the whites. It runs in all cultures. Granted, you will never catch me wearing dreadlocks, baggy pants or listening to rap music, but that's my personal preference. As far as the jokes go, if a black comedian were to say a racist joke about whites, the place would be up in the rafters with laughter, but, if a white comedian were to tell a racist joke about blacks, then he is a racist and politically incorrect. It's a double standard. The attitude that I encounter is 'A black cannot be a racist because they are black.' I say wrong.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug25640, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : Hickory, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Blackwoman
    Participant
    I can't speak for all people who happen to be black, but I will give my views. While there is nothing wrong for anybody to have any hairstyle they wish, one thing deeply puzzles me: As a whole, we black people are hated. Deny it if you will, but the sheer number and even existence of the types of unfunny and usually viscious jokes told about us, hate-motivated attacks we receive, hate radio stations dedicted to mindlessly hating us, etc. should be more than enough proof for any intelligent and/or honest person. For this reason, I have always wondered why many whites who like to imitate certain facets of our culture have absolutely no problem attaching negative stereotypes to us, telling those mean 'jokes' at our expense, and segregating us. I merely wish for the day that people become consistent with their attitudes and actions.

User Detail :  

Name : Blackwoman, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : n/a, State : NA Country : n/a, 

William
    Why would your choice of that type of hairstyle be offensive to blacks? Don't most people who post in this category desire diversity? Are you offended when black women weave tracks of European hair into their scalps, even though they probably don't understand your culture any more than you understand theirs? It's your hair, you grew it. It's no one's business to even have an opinion on what you do with it.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

April
    Participant
    You can wear whatever hairstyle you want. I have never heard of a black person or 'rasta' being offended over the way you wear your hair. I have worn cornrows before, and I got tons of compliments from black and white people.

User Detail :  

Name : April, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

William
    White people do not hate black people as you seem to think.What we hate is the negative behavior that is so common among some black people,there is a difference.We hate the crime,violence,irresponsible sexual practices and the whatever attitude displayed by so many.Especially young men.We also hate it when white people behave this way.As far as segretation,black people are the ones who are now calling for seperate graduations and proms.

User Detail :  

Name : William, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 39, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine
    My husband has dreadlocks, and I don't find it offensive to see people of different nationalities wearing them. I do, however, think it should be given a different name. The white people I have seen with dreadlocks have really nasty hair, and it seems (and smells) like they never wash it. That is not what it is about. Most black people have the type of hair that is very curly (nappy) by nature. That is why they call it 'locking up,' because if you stop combing your hair and twist it, eventually it will get so nappy that it 'locks' together. Most white people's hair will not do that. If you can take them out later, they are not real dreadlocks, because the hair was not locked in the first place. If my husband wants his hair in a different style, he will have to cut all of it off and start again. Perhaps that is why some people are offended by the idea. P.S.: As far as the whole Rasta thing, I have no idea about that.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

GA-Cisneros
    Participant
    I have never run across this problem. My son, who is white, has dreads and has never had a problem with anyone except middle class, white, middle-aged males.

User Detail :  

Name : GA-Cisneros, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, 

I
    Participant
    Many, but not all black people, find the idea of white people wearing locks offensive. Although times are changing, it is still considered unprofessional or militant in certain circles (both black and nonblack) for a person with nappy hair to let it do what it does naturally. No other ethnic group is viewed as militant when they choose to not alter the texture of their hair. Dreadlocks on white people are another example of white privilege: You can cut them off if you choose to one day and join corporate America, but my hair in its natural state may hinder me in a job search. For black people, hairstyles cannot be completely separate from lifestyle. Even if a black person tries to separate the two, others will continue to judge the person based on their hairstyle.

User Detail :  

Name : I, Race : Black/African American, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ed25575
    Participant
    I haven't heard of anyone being offended by a white person having dreads, but I have heard people laughing at whites, or anybody with straight hair who tries it. The previous descriptions of why and how people get dreads are correct. But if you have hair that doesn't naturally tend to 'lock up,' forcing your hair to tangle up into 'white people dreads' makes you seem like you're trying a little too hard. But to each his own.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed25575, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 29, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie27803
    Participant
    I don't get why some plack people get so offended by white people doing their hair in dread, braids, etc. A friend of mine who is half white, half Puerto Rican put those tiny corkscrew braids in her hair and it looked good! I too, being about as white as they come, put these ramen noodle-looking extentions in my hair because I wanted a platinum blonde look with colorful highlights, and the beauty store was out of the blonde braids. All you need to do is imagine a big pot of ramen noodles being plopped on someone's head, and that's what I looked like. So I took them out. If they had had the little braids, I'd probably still have them in.

But anyway, my friend got mixed responses: many people complimented her on her hair, but she also got lots of sneers from black girls. I can just imagine the reaction I would have gotten. With black people always complaining about being hated, why aren't they happy that people of other races are embracing their looks and culture?

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie27803, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Victoria
    I'm a black woman and have had locks for about a year. I did it because I like my hair natural and think locks are beautiful. I realize the look originated with the Rastafaris, but I think it's become more of a fashion statement and less a political or spiritual one. I say go for it, and if folks are offended, they need to get over it.

User Detail :  

Name : Victoria, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 45, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

KC26531
    Participant
    You must understand that locking of the hair or dreadlocks is a religious expression. Rastafarians lock their hair for religious spiritual reasons. They keep their hair and themselves impecably clean also for spiritual reasons. So to some Black people it is offensive, just as it would be for a non-Jew to wear a Yomica or a non-Muslim to wear a Hijeb. It becomes a mockery of the religious belief.

User Detail :  

Name : KC26531, Race : Black/African American, City : Geneseo, State : NY Country : United States, 

LUUVY
    Participant
    It’s sort of funny for me to see a White person with dreadlocks. First off and previously mentioned in an earlier post. We as Black people have been hated and demeaned in every way possible. It baffles me when white people feel that it is ok to take from our culture and let it be no problem. I see that as weird because if one is truthful most white people are oblivious to our true culture. As far as dreading or locking goes Rastafarians did not start with the dread. It started in west Africa when outcast were sent out of their village they had to grow their hair in locks so that others would know that they were outcast. Well just my opinion!

User Detail :  

Name : LUUVY, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : DETROIT, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

jazzmonn
    Participant
    whites with dreds are ok if thats what they want to do. PERCEPTION-wise, its not so good to be brutally honest. like someone else said, lock means lock, not braid or twist or pasted together with beeswax or glue. if you cant naturally lock, then stay away from it. for instance, i have naturally nappy hair. it looks really sad to see blacks who make their hair straight with chemicals or hot comb. the hair actually looks 'dead' but the person thinks it looks good. is that brainwashing or what? brainwashed into believing that your natural hair is ugly. prove me wrong i dare you. otherwise, why do you go through that ritual of hot comb or chemical burning? cause you think nappy is ugly. thats the brainwashing. wake up and be free. so what if it costs your job. dont you want to know how people REALLY feel about ya? i have experienced this as recently as 11/2001 when i was rejected for a $90,000/year job because of my locks. did i get mad? hell yeah! did i retaliate? no. i just prayed and now i am making $110,000/year. so quit being afraid to be nappy and stop living that straight hair lie. hope that helps a white person see that its more to locks than just having them. you have to immerse yourself in the CULTURE also, otherwise, dont do it cause you just would be fronten, and that aint cool.

User Detail :  

Name : jazzmonn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : African, Anglo, Native American, Latino, Religion : Believe in Creator, Age : 41, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.