Do popular people care about unpopular people?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

T.
    Participant
    To popular people my age: Are you often interested or curious about less-popular people?

User Detail :  

Name : T., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 14, City : Auckland, State : NA Country : New Zealand, 

Jacqqueline-C
    Participant
    High school is weird time, to say the least. It seems to be an all-consuming activity to keep track of who is cool and who is not and keep everyone labeled in their correct catagory, and to determine whether a person is popular or not. One thing to remember is that everyone has a lot more in common than you might think. Everyone is trying to transition from childhood to adulthood and figure out who they are and who they want to be. And, everyone is confused. Once high school is over, you will realize that it doesn't matter who was popular in high school and who wasn't. What matters is who a person is and what they do with their lives, not whether or not they where in the 'in' crowd. So focus on yourself and who you want to become, and don't worry about what the popular people think.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacqqueline-C, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emily
    Participant
    I think that, at your age, kids notice the people they are friends with and the people who they find extremely distasteful. That leaves a gap where the people who are average, dress okay and don't talk much fit. These people are not invisible to the popular ones, but they are not pursuing friendships with them because these people are not actively seeking out friendships with them and the 'popular' people who you are talking about probably don't consider themselves popular, they just know that they have a large group of friends and are not going to seek out friendships with people outside of their group. My advice to you is to make friends, especially go for the people like you who may not stand out as much at school. This way, you can network and develop your own circle of friends and you won't even notice who's popular or not anymore. And remember, you're a good person.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Samantha29434
    Participant
    As someone who was in the in crowd in school but had a backbone. I think that yes the popular kids do care about someone that is less popular. They are just too intimidated to go outside the group. But don't worry your popularity means nothing in the real world.

User Detail :  

Name : Samantha29434, City : Livonia, State : MI Country : United States, 

Jennifer30901
    Participant
    Gee, no one has responded to your question; how rude, because it's a good one. OK, first off, I'm not with the elite group of 'popular people,' and frankly, when I'm around them, I can't stand them. Some can be nice, but in my grade, they are completely vain and conceited, not to mention shallow (the girls, anyway). For example, my friend Amanda has a locker right next to the most popular girl in our grade (and basically the school). Amanda always tells me how this girl combs her hair 30 times a day, and her locker is covered with mirrors so she can look at herself. And she's always putting other people down. Basically they all do that.

Another great example of how shallow these popular girls are is in my history class. Two popular girls, Jenni and Monique, sit in front and make fun of our teacher, who stutters. The other day we got into a conversation about making fun of other people. My friend Crystal, who's really nice to everyone, was like, 'I think it's wrong that people put other people down!' and Jenni is like, 'Well, if there was some big dork in our school, which there are a lot of those, wouldn't you make fun of them and hate them, too, like everyone else? Maybe they should change themselves so they wouldn't be picked on!' and Crystal was like, 'I wouldn't pick on them, anyway,' and Jenni just rolled her eyes. They are always like that. The girls in the popular group could give a rat's ass about someone if they aren't their friend. They are too into themselves.

I don't know about the guy popular peeps; they can be jerks sometimes, though. Don't worry, though, they'll get out in the real world one day and fall flat on their asses.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30901, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 15, City : somewhere, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : High School sophomore, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Emma25389
    Participant
    I can't really speak for popular people, 'cause I'm anything but popular!!! I don't know whether they do care, but I'm not really that bothered if they care about me or not, because I have friends and family who do care about me. Most of the popular people at my school only seem to care about themselves and looking 'cool'. Even if they don't, I'm friends with a lot of people who wouldn't be considered 'popular' but are incredibly nice. I also know that some popular people about me behind my back, (apparently, being shy and quiet makes me a 'stupid bitch') so I don't think that they can possibly care about me.

User Detail :  

Name : Emma25389, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Cheshire, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Amanda31527
    Participant
    Wow- where to start. Ok i am going to go thru all sides of this. In junior high and high school I was ‘deemed’ popular. To me and my friends, we just kinda of laughed it off. We had done nothing to “be popular”. It something people label you as. People don’t go around asking to be popular, its even evident is small children. There will always be a group of kids that people look up to. It’s so hard to tell what makes people perceived in certain ways. Now you are stereotyping all of us as “completely vain and conceited, not to mention shallow”. Not that is just wrong. You are talking about particular people here and maybe in a certain grade. I must admit, most girls in junior high are mean and spiteful. But as you get into high school, especially your last two years, it gets so much better. People start to realize that looking up to the popular people isn’t going to make them any better of a person, and in fact it just waste your time. Frankly, a lot of time I didn’t want to be deemed popular because people put such mean title on you. You think your get the rough end of the deal, try to deal with people every day that hate you because they want to be in your circle, or people constantly being fake and friendly, just to be part of my crowd. I just wanted people to like me for who I was. Sure I had my friends and we spent a lot of time together but we all had our own other friends who people called “dorky”. Now this I couldn’t understand because there was nothing wrong with them. Maybe because they weren’t in right sports or had the right friends, but they have just as much as fun as I do. Trust me, it gets better for you. People realize that life isn’t about being popular. If you spend years chasing people to be in the right crowd, you’ll only be left unfulfilled. You will have missed out spending great times with people that like you for you. Never on a job application with they ask you, “were you popular in high school?” I can look back and say, it would be have been different if I hadn’t spent all my time trying to look good for everyone. Just to be able to get dressed in the morning how ever I wanted, hung out with anyone, and not cared how I acted or how people were looking at me. Just to be carefree. The bottom line is, don’t judge people on what other people call them (popular), be true to your self, don’t loose track of your real friends to follow some group, and high school gets better

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda31527, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 18, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Katie
    I have many friends who are popular, as I have friends who are not. Those who are 'unpopular' have far less fights with their friends, and generally lead happier lives. Those who are popular aren't popular by choice. Most are very self consicoius (sp) hence the constant grooming, and their outward apperance is all they feel they have. Self conscious (i hate that word) people tend to gravitate to eachother, and with that build their self esteem by pumping eachother up - i have had many a 'popular' friend express their want to be in my shoes, and not have to deal with everything that goes with it. my question is, do the 'unpopular' people really care about the 'popular' people? you shouldn' t because you are much better of then them. Trying just being nice to a 'popular' person. it might work. although, my school is not a typical clique school our popular people are popular because they are nice, and friendly to all people, it was more in middle school when they were obnoxious - also i find that those who WANT to be popular, and are standing just outside the spotlight are the worst, and I tend to evade them,. Try being a social butterfly, its great to have a close knit group- but it would be even better if you have other friends, just incase you have a different lunch then your friends ;-) good luck and be you, more then likely someone is jealous of what you have- no matter what clique your in!

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kim
    no.. i dont think they care about them in a nice 'oh.. did i hurt your feelings?' kind of way.. but they do care if someone unpopular says something bad about them or goes against what they want.. they love to control other people.. i dont know why.. but they do.. its a power buzz i guess.. so they do care.. in adverse ways.. so i guess 'care' is the wrong word.. hm.. but i dont know of one thats better..

User Detail :  

Name : Kim, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary, Social class : Middle class, 

Nichole R
    Participant
    I am consider popluar at my school.And I'm only a freshman.But most of the popularity came from my older brother and from when i was in middle school.well most of the time i rather goa nd talk to someone thats not popular than a popular person.Because they dont always was wont to talk about other people in a bad way.I hope I make since.

User Detail :  

Name : Nichole R, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 14, City : Chattanooga, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : N/A, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    I agree totally with the 15 year old girl who said in her post that 'they'll get out in the real world one day and fall flat on their asses.' I graduated high school in the 80's and I've seen exactly what she's talking about play out again and again. Popular kids in high school who are now divorced and raising their kids alone, working pathetic dead-end jobs, scraping to make ends meet. Unfortunately for them, at least, popularity doesn't mean crap on a resume. It kinda makes you feel sorry for some of them. Kinda. I was never part of the popular crowd. But now, I have a handsome husband and 3 wonderful kids. We have a nice house in a good area, we own two businesses, and have everything we want or need and then some. We are happy. And you know what? It was like poetic justice when one of those former popular girls found out her husband had been coming on to me! LOL

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    In my high school, the very unpopular kids are not picked on so much as completely ignored by the student body. In particular, the popular girls have a lot of respect for the unpopular girls for 'being themselves,' but there is no possibility of inviting them into a social circle. Also, many of the 'nerds' are segregated from the rest of the student body by Honors and AP classes. The 'smart girls' are more successful in forming alliances with the mainstream student body, while the 'smart boys' such as yours truly, are less successful.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.