Discriminatory discounts?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

K-Anderson
    Participant
    Everywhere we look, we see Senior Citizen discounts, for meals, hotel rooms and even in department stores. Do others, particularly Senior Citizens, view this as being age discrimination? Do you think this practice should be discontinued?
    Originally A35. Click here to see responses in original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : K-Anderson, Age : 42, City : Fergus Falls, State : MN Country : United States, 

J. Baker
    The senior discounts are a discriminatory practice, and I believe they should be discontinued.

If I know a shop gives discounts to seniors, I mention to the employee that I am a full-time student and would like a 10 to 15 percent discount on my purchase. Much of the time, they will give it to me, and if they do not, I will take my business elsewhere.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Baker, Gender : M, Age : 20, City : Brandon, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Joan-F
    Participant
    I agree these discounts should be discontinued. I am 64, but I see families with young children who could use the discount if one were given.

User Detail :  

Name : Joan-F, Gender : F, Age : 64, City : Hoosick Falls, State : NY Country : United States, 

Bob
    I don't feel that seniors should get 'senior' discounts. Although there are a lot of seniors who should get a discount on some items, there are a vast majority that have their home all paid for, their car paid for, social security, a pension check, etc.... Give discounts to those people out there who need it. Taxes are eating us alive.

User Detail :  

Name : Bob, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 27, City : Near Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanic, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Annette
    Participant
    I feel the practice should be continued. I have worked with so many eldery clients who are on a fixed income that these discounts mean the difference between having something 'extra' or going without. I can only hope that those eldery individuals who have a pension that meets their needs 'and then some' will NOT use the Senior discounts and leave funds available for those who need them. As for students, I look for the Student Discounts as well. The discounts are there. It doesn't mean companies don't accomodate both. Most companies know good public relations. If they don't, I look for companies who do.

User Detail :  

Name : Annette, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Puerto Rican, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Virginia Beach, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ROSE-CRUZ
    Participant
    'Mature' people worked hard and paid taxes for most of their lives, they deserve a break.

User Detail :  

Name : ROSE-CRUZ, City : brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, 

Nikki Christensen
    Participant
    In the restaurants, senior meals are smaller to accommodate smaller appetites as we get older. The discount is attractive because we're not paying for a large portion we don't eat. They make up for the 'discount' by not serving as much food.

User Detail :  

Name : Nikki Christensen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 60, City : Mountlake Terrace, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Retired on Disability, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I see that most of the respondents who argue against senior discounts are in their 20's. The majority of seniors are on a fixed income, some have had their pension stolen from them from companies to whom they dedicated decades of work. They deserve a break. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.