Concerned Mother of Adopted Chinese Girl

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Dave
    Participant
    You are correct about everything you posted, Laura. Which is why, if an all black family adopted a little Caucasian girl, nobody would be saying, 'there's that white girl learning those black mannerisms.' Indeed, there would be no criticism, according to your logic, for a foreign family from China to actually adopt an American! Right? After all, we're helping the children.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Law Clerk, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dave
    Participant
    In relation to this topic of adoption, is it the impression of many white Americans that China is some sort of sexist country that values its males over its females? That seems to be the tone of the responses in reply to my original one. Let me posture this point -- considering the sexism and racial prejudices that still exist in America, why is it that so many American citizens would consider it 'embarrassing' to have their own children adopted by foreign families? Do you all have any idea how arrogant it is to accuse another country of evils when your own country has just as many, if not more?

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Law Clerk, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carl W.
    Participant
    I'm not qualified to answer the adoption question, but I am currently enrolled in a class on History of the People's Republic of China. Our instructor is white, but he did extensive research in many areas of rural China within the last decade. It is his opinion, and he is not the only one to hold it, that the abadonment of female infants in China is an exaggerated phenomenon. There is indeed a significant imbalance in male and female births in the recent censuses, but he believes that it is largely due to unregistered female children, referred to as 'the children who don't exist.' He feels that (white) Americans are too quick to believe that Chinese people will stoop to lows such as this, and it seems to fit with the general essentialist and/or Orientalist perceptions of Asians as 'Other' or 'inscruitable.' Something to think about, anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : Carl W., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Davis, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.