Christians and masochism

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Fionna
    Participant
    Are Christians inherently masochistic? I was watching this documentary on S&M, and they drew a relationship between basic Christian doctrine and sado-masochism. Does anybody understand the correlation between the two?

User Detail :  

Name : Fionna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27150
    Participant
    I've never heard that one before. But people seem to come up with a lot of correlations. I've heard various pundits try to attribute world hunger, the holocaust, slavery, widespread spousal abuse or even economic depression to Christianity. Some folks will try to use anything to back up their stance, or to attack their ideological opponents. As for a masochism connection... I've never seen it condoned in the Bible. Perhaps the person making the claim was drawing on extra-biblical doctrine tacked on centuries afterwards.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27150, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : L.A. area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Redeemed130120
    Participant
    I don't know what kind of documentary you were watching, and I don't see how anyone can make a correlation between Christianity and masochism. One has nothing to do with the other. A Christian is someone who believes and accepts the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ as full payment for their sins and has asked to be forgiven. Period. Where does masochism enter in?

User Detail :  

Name : Redeemed130120, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 52, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Name-withheld
    Participant
    Is it inherent in Christianity? No. Influenced? Perhaps. I was raised Catholic and am drawn to S & M. I've read a lot of literature and testimonials about it, practiced it and met numerous people in the S & M community. Most of the S & M people I've met, as well as the insider-writers on the subject, come from a Christian or Jewish background, with a spectrum of indoctrination ranging from none to strict. All are atheistic and embrace a certain hedonism frowned upon by any religious upbringing. That said, Judaism and most sects of Christianity tend to value suffering. Think of the historical persecution of the Jews whose events are commemorated in Jewish holy days, and all the martyrs in the Catholic gallery of saints. In addition, most Christian religions teach that any sex outside of marital reproduction is a sin that deserves punishment. For me, the pleasure of sex combined with the indoctrination that it's a sin (and that suffering is good) took me to a place where sex with punishment and suffering is more exciting than 'vanilla' sex. But maybe my Catholic upbringing had nothing to do with it, and I just like S & M. I'm convinced that few or none of my fellow alumnae from convent school like S & M, and that the vast majority of ex-Christians, Christians and Jews I know do not practice S & M or fantasize about it. S & M is an expensive hobby requiring leisure time, toys and (for some) professional services. It's definitely more popular in Protestant cultures with mature economies, e.g. England, Germany, the Netherlands and United States. This skewed popularity may have more to do with money than religion. There's also a theory that abuse and incest survivors are drawn to S & M, but I think the sociologic statistics crunch out the same: Some are, most aren't.

User Detail :  

Name : Name-withheld, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 40, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Technician, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jacob-Smith
    Participant
    Having been raised in a very Christian dominated environment, I think I can shed some perspective on the issue. My mother was Catholic (before being converted) and my father was a Seventh-Day Adventist. I was indoctrinated into the Christian faith early in my childhood. It was not until relatively late in my life that I began to see that Christianity was very much constricting. I think the basic principle behind Christianity and other forms of Judaism, does lend it self to S&M. A masochist, by definition, enjoys, is intoxicated by the subservience to a given force or person. I believe the video is referring to a Christians' subservience to God. A masochist in most cases does not enjoy the pain itself, but the release that comes afterwards. In the case of Christianity, the release comes with death and the ascension into heaven. Although, I believe the connection is a bit far fetched, it is nonetheless, understandable.

User Detail :  

Name : Jacob-Smith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Taoist, Age : 37, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dave26020
    Participant
    Slave, Priest, God: a triptych of sadomasochism. Slave to Priest as Priest is to God: the hierarchy of domination. Christians seduced by the 'Word of God', will remain in a state of subservience. For the Christian, Free Will translates into the freedom to emaciate one's spirit and most noble qualities. However, this process of self-loathing is a means to an end, a way of ascending to heaven.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave26020, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Scientologist, Age : 22, City : Paris, State : NA Country : France, Occupation : Masters student in Philosophy, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Joshua Oreskovich
    Participant
    I myself am christian... There is no real connection between the two...ita a misnomer..as usual... over annylzing a what is sometimes completely miraculous event at points...is simply vanity.. It is very common for people...especially non-christian scientists totry an connect the dots that arent even really dots.. The root of making connections to christianity is the sin nature of man... not a simple idea mind u but the reason ... it cant always be explain by imperical proof means.. Look elsewhere besides TV for your info...i would suggest a book store maybe..=)

User Detail :  

Name : Joshua Oreskovich, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : unemployed...=), Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Marco
    Participant
    Hello! My name is Marco. I am the representative. The organization which I represent is engaged in granting of intimate services of exotic type. I cannot write what services here. Forbidden sex, anal sex, gay, lesbian... Much much. I think any person, especially if he is lonely requires good and vigorous sex. Any person should grant the sexual desires. And not important what they, it is important that the desire exists. Our organization renders services in territory of the countries usa and some countries of the Europe. Concerning I ask to leave contacts for me in ICQ: 205550188 Dare also you receive that about what dreamed.

User Detail :  

Name : Marco, City : No now, State : IL Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.