Childless by choice, so what?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Anna
    Participant
    I dont plan to have children either. If I do then it'll be by adoption. There's already so many sweet angels that need a home out there. Because I'm VERY independent I find it hard to believe that I will find a suitable mate, but I still want to have children. Who cares what they say, it's YOUR life.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kelly
    I too am childless by choice. Since my mid teens I knew I did not want children. I met a wonderful man who felt the way I did and we have been married for over 14 years. It has never been a problem. In fact every year for the first 12, at the time of year to renew my birth control prescription, we agreed to both revisit the topic of children and finally 2 years ago, my husband went under the knife. Do not let anyone make you feel bad for your choice. We have so much fun not being tied down to children and even though our friends with children can be hard to make spontaneous plans with, we have adapted fine and are usually the envy of everyone we know! What makes you thing you wouldn't be a good parent? I think people like you and I who make this choice would probably be better parents than many who have children for all the wrong reasons. I see so many bad parents it makes me think you should have to take a test or have a license or something to procreate.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 38, City : Dunedin, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Mortgage Broker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Wyoming
    I believe part of the answer to that could be location. There is more pressure to breed and produce offspring in certain areas of the country, as well as in certain religions. Texas, from an urban perspective, seems to be one of those places. I haven't experienced too much pressure to have children in Los Angeles, or when I lived in Seattle. But then again my parents are not christian, my mom is a big Womens Rights proponent, and my grandma was single my whole life!

User Detail :  

Name : Wyoming, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Media, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jean
    Participant
    People often like to give their opinion, especially to a young person. They may feel that you are too young to completely rule out having children. I can tell you from personal experience that at your age I was married and both my husband and I told everyone that we were never going to have children. Our pastor wanted to counsel us because of it. After a few years of being married we changed our minds. Circumstances were different and basically we grew up. Everyone is different though.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Pottstown, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dana27197
    Participant
    As a woman who is also 'child-free' by choice, I understand your frustration. I've come up with a few theories: 1. when people really enjoy something, its hard for them to imagine that someone doesn't share their passion (think of how many times people have shared their hobbies with you, not realizing that you didn't care). Perhaps people who really enjoy children just can't fathom that some of us don't like them. 2. Some religions focus on procreation as being an imperative from their god(s). If you are talking with someone who follows such a religion, they may consider children a religious mandate, not an option. 3. People are often afraid of things that are 'different'. They don't know how to deal with those of us who take a different path, so they attempt to sway us to that which they consider more 'acceptable' instead of honoring our decisions. That seems to sum up the people I've run into. Hope that helps!

User Detail :  

Name : Dana27197, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : software developer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Because they are men.

User Detail :  

Name : Harry Highstreet, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Aliens, Disability : Mental, Race : First Place, Religion : Messlopian, Age : 68, City : St. Clair, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Author, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Deborah-W25781
    Participant
    First of all, I commend your reasons for choosing not to have children. Overpopulation is a serious problem. And I respect your decision not to become a mother if you feel you would not be a good parent. Look at all the horrible parents out there who had children just because they thought they 'had' to. I am a mother of two children: a 24-year-old daughter and a 6-year-old son. After my daughter was born, people hounded me relentlessly for years about when I planned on having 'the boy.' Well, it took me 18 years and another husband to finally have a son. We evolve as people over the years and our needs change. Perhaps one day you will decide to have children. Until then: You should feel more confident about your decision, and tune out anyone who can't respect your chosen lifestyle.

User Detail :  

Name : Deborah-W25781, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 46, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    probably for the same reason that people want to push people into religions they don't want. As for being parents, perhaps they think you would make a good mother. Why don't you ask them? 'Why do you feel the need in persisting in pressuring me to have kids when I have made it clear that I do not want any?'

User Detail :  

Name : Ian Laughlin, Gender : M, Age : 18, City : Palmer, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

dean
    Participant
    Some people just open their mouth before their brain is engaged. When my wife and I had no kids we were harrassed and bugged as to why we did not have any. Now that we have 3 kids, people are like 'oh that is too many. How can you handle it' People should just mind their own business.

User Detail :  

Name : dean, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : winnipeg, State : AR Country : Canada, Occupation : Real estate investor., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Mary21969
    Participant
    at 23 years old, I would think that your choice to remain childless is a good one. it is obvious from your info you are an active learner, and I assume you are looking to begin your career. good for you. I adopted my son when I was 25, and my daughter at 32 years old. I spent 8 years trying to become a bio-mom; but I am much happier w/my choice to adopt now that all is said and done. give your choice time; who knows maybe when your as OLD as me, you will decide differntly, if not, be happy and proud of who you are!

User Detail :  

Name : Mary21969, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Age : 37, City : McGregor, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dana27196
    Participant
    realizing that you would not be a good parent and chosing to remain childless is a valid choice and you are wise to realize this about yourself. People have associated personal success with marriage and children for the past few thousand years and it's going to take some time for that definition of success to change. You are one of the people who will aid that change. Having a child is one of the single most life altering experiences that there is and for people who were pleased with the changes having children brings it's difficult to imagine a full life with out them. Don't spend your energy trying to argue with people who are trying to change your mind. Just know that they want you to have a full life and not have regets. Tell them that perhaps you'll feel differently later and perhaps not. It's OK either way. People who care about you will feel better just knowing that you're willing to reconsider the idea later.

User Detail :  

Name : Dana27196, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Reyna29573
    Participant
    I can in a sort relate to your problem. I only wanted on child. My family and friends think it is selfish that I am denying my child a brother or a sister. The truth is is that I am being responsible and only having as many as I can afford and care for. The older generations just don't understand why us youngin's don't want to be barefoot and pregnant. Stick to your guns, the only person you have to please is yourself. We need strong women in the world who brake the mold. Stand your ground! Who knows though, you may change your mind someday, just tell them that. It will shut them up for a while, your only 23.

User Detail :  

Name : Reyna29573, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Cal
    We, the breeders, are pissed because you are getting off too easy. While we are staying up nights with a sick kid, you're out partying. While we are dropping a couple grand on the kid's braces, you are on vacation in Cancun. My kids will someday be paying for your social security but you never bothered to produce a replacement taxpayer for yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Lakewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

T VanRoon
    Participant
    Probably because they don't see how it is possible to have a meaningful life without procreating. I am childless at 37 and sometimes I receive criticism...but usually my friends with children are jealous of me.

User Detail :  

Name : T VanRoon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 37, City : Campbellford, State : CA Country : Canada, Occupation : Law Enforcement, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Radhika
    Participant
    Ignore those who would like you to be a mother. If you know you are not 'cut out' to be a mother, why burden yourself and your (future) children? Will others come in to help you when a child is sick and when you have to take days off? Will they pitch in when you want a quiet evening by yourself, or help you financially when the kids are in college? Of course not. So, just follow what you want. Some people just like to dispense 'advice', your job is to pretend as if they dont exist. I dont think getting into an argument with them will do any good.

User Detail :  

Name : Radhika, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.