Blacks’ interstate driving habits

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Lucy22415
    Participant
    I never noticed this, but maybe it's a hold over from Jim Crow when there weren't facilities available for blacks to use along the interstate and pulling into a strange town might be dangerous for them. It could be just a habit that people got into and are still doing.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22415, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, 

JB21111
    Participant
    By no means do I mean to imply all blacks do this, but a disproporionate number tend to pull over to the side of busy and dangerous interstate highways (e.g. I-95) to stretch, change drivers, walk around, etc. With all the many convenient stores, gas stations and fast food restaurants at nearly every exit on the interstate, why do blacks stop on the side of the road?

User Detail :  

Name : JB21111, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Culpeper, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherman
    Participant
    I've seen people of all races doing this not just black people.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherman, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Richmond, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Contractor, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Emily-W25361
    Participant
    I drive on I-95 all the time, and I have never noticed this.

User Detail :  

Name : Emily-W25361, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Fairfax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Valerie
    I've done a lot of interstate traveling in the last 6 years and have yet to notice blacks primarily doing this. But even still, if they are and they decide to stop on the side of the road, I give them applause. I'd rather that person stop where they are and change drivers or take a quick stretch then push it a little farther and maybe cause an accident.

User Detail :  

Name : Valerie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 23, City : Seabrook, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : house wife, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Tracey
    Do you think that maybe others are doing this also, but for whatever reason you are noticing the black people more? How, by the way, since you are driving on the interstate, presumably going at least 65 mph, do you know that all of these people are 'black' and not just dark-skinned Indian (from India) or hispanic people? Either way, why is it bothering you?

User Detail :  

Name : Tracey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 29, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Pat Rice
    Participant
    Because I have been in a car on the side of 95 south because stopping at the gas station takes up too much time. The whole idea of 'making good time' on road trips is engrained into my psyche now.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat Rice, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : College Park, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/ student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

valerie
    I also noticed black driving habits. It seems they either go 40 mph or they are doing 90, nothing in between. I assumed their driving privledges were just revoked are just re-instated.I know that sounds really bad, but I asked alot of police officers and they verified it.

User Detail :  

Name : valerie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 45, City : Ft. Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.