Blacks being loud

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Sparky
    Participant
    Why do black people act louder in public more than any other race?

User Detail :  

Name : Sparky, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 48, City : Middleburg, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Self-employed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherry27007
    Participant
    Being loud is a cultural norm. I've always wondered why Asian people are so quiet.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry27007, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Spiritual, Age : 24, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Lash
    I'm black and am not loud in public. My family and friends are black, and they're not loud in public. I've been to many "public events'" in my lifetime and noticed many white people were loud in public as well, but the funny thing is, I've noticed when white people are being loud that I hardly notice it, or I respond by saying that those "people" are being loud, rather than those "white" people are being loud. I have two problems with your question: one, you're lumping all black people into one general category, when we're all individuals. Some are loud and some aren't. Two, nobody talks about the fact that we live in a society where "white" is the norm and anyone who is non-white stands out from the norm in every respect. We think of race first. That's an important reason why, when you see a group of black people being loud, you think, "damn, those black people are loud" instead of "those individuals are being loud." Individuals are loud in public for various reasons, like they're upset about something, they're being inconsiderate, they're intoxicated, they're excited, they're frustrated... Try and open your eyes and ears to other groups that are loud in public and see how you categorize their behavior, and when you do hear a black person being loud, look at them as an individual, not a representative of how all black people behave.

User Detail :  

Name : Lash, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Wu
    Participant
    I thought we Asians were the loudest!

User Detail :  

Name : Wu, Gender : M, Race : Asian, City : Auckland, State : NA Country : New Zealand, 

Kirby
    Participant
    i guess you've never been to keg parties and such? Loud people come in all cultures. It's not a race issue, it's a character trait that a lot of folks have.

User Detail :  

Name : Kirby, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 37, City : Lafayette, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : CEO, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Austin29036
    Participant
    It's been my experience that some lower-class black people (and some lower-class white people, especially those co-opting black culture) use noise as a way of drawing attention to themselves and challenging authority. Ridiculously loud laughing, screeching or yelling of insults to one another is a way to create a situation in which if one approaches them, their posture is confrontational by default. I've noticed that women are worse by themselves than men, but together they're louder than either separately. Whether it's impressing each other with their outrageousness or simply a social display, it is strictly an American trait. I'm relatively well traveled and have yet to see this type of behavior with black Africans or European whites. Never have I seen a Nigerian woman run up the aisle of a movie theater with her friend in tow because something they'd seen was simply too funny.

User Detail :  

Name : Austin29036, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 31, City : Frankfort, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : IT Networking, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine25162
    Participant
    Black people may only act loud when they are around their friends - just as any other person of any other race does.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine25162, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Pentecostal, City : Hartford, State : CT Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Alicia
    Participant
    Everyone gets loud when they're around their friends - you can't say that you don't. Geeky white nerds even get loud and excited when they're talkig about science.

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Methodist, Age : 15, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    I see that kind of behavior in teenagers mostly, and it is exclusive to neither black people nor Americans. Having lived in America and in Australia, I have noticed that teenagers, when in a group, often are loud in public; sometimes they are obnoxious and rude as well. I cannot say I have ever seen either black or white adults act this way. Teenagers like drawing attention to themselves, usually to fit in with their peers or to display their indifference to what others think of them, or just as a display or their bravado.

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jo
    Participant
    My friends and I are not quiet. I guess it is the people we hang around with. I am shy when I am in a new environment or with strangers. But when I am with my friends, I am talkative, loud and a bit odd. Well, I guess fobs (fresh off the boat) are more quiet. One of my fob friends told me she doesn't want people to tease her broken English or accent, so she communicates with people who can speak the same language and with her friends. And she is loud!

User Detail :  

Name : Jo, Gender : F, Race : Asian, City : Chino Hills, State : CA Country : United States, 

Marie
    Participant
    You quote yourself as saying 'It's been my experience that some lower-class black people (and some lower-class white people, especially those co-opting black culture)' AND I'm relatively well traveled and have yet to see this type of behavior with black Africans or European whites. When you say lower classed, I trust you mean economically deprived. I grew up 'economically deprived' but my parents taught me and my siblings to always act in a self respecting manner and people will treat you with respect. Co-opting black culture?? Have you never seen non-black teenagers acting loud and drawing negative attention to themselves when in a group? I'm also well travelled and have seen this within other cultures (more with whites than with blacks as a matter of fact). This is in NO WAY strictly an American trait!!! It is about the individual and most usually when they are in a group. If any of my friends began acting 'loudly' in public, I'd be very quick to call them on it or have second thoughts about being out in public with them if I can't trust them to act in a dignified manner. And guess what? I'm Black AND American! Free your mind!

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 47, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Oz
    Participant
    I dont considered myself quiet. Has any of you ever been to the market in Chinatown? That is loud!

User Detail :  

Name : Oz, City : SF, State : CA Country : United States, 

David
    Participant
    That could'nt have been said any better (bows)

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Nigerian, Religion : Non-Denominational, Age : 21, City : Fontana, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

David
    Participant
    i don't know why, and its soooooo annoying, i don't know what their problem is. that's why i stick to dating other females (race wise), if its not them thats annoying, its their family. have you been to one of the parties?, its just like the way it is in the movies, unbelieveable..I'm sometimes ashamed as others would mistake me for them. But in an ideal world..not all arelike that, just those without hometraining...

User Detail :  

Name : David, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Nigerian, Religion : Non-Denominational, Age : 21, City : Fontana, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Julie26552
    Participant
    Blast me for being racist but I don't see how anyone can't agree that blacks are often very loud in public and private settings compared to other races. I work closely in social services with the black community and have been told BY BLACKS that black people are louder to intimidate, to celebrate, to get attention, to act ghetto, to express anger/frustration, whatever, but when I get on a bus, as I do every day, the loud conversations ALWAYS involve blacks. When I'm in the grocery store and there is loud conversation, it's usually between blacks. I'm a diehard liberal and I don't really care if people are loud or not but I think it's intellectually dishonest to pretend that, despite many exceptions, this is not true and true to a greater extent than it is for other races.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie26552, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 38, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.