Black people’s hair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Taryn
    Participant
    Why do black people have only black, coarse hair? Never have I seen a black person with naturally light-colored hair, or fine, smooth hair. White people have blondes, brunettes, redheads and black-haired people. Why don't black people have different-colored hair, with different textures?

User Detail :  

Name : Taryn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Dutch, Religion : Christian, Age : 16, City : Everson, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Andres
    Participant
    How about Asians? Arabs? Native Americans? Eskimos? Australian Aborigines? They all only have natural black hair (not to mention brown eyes). Sounds like we whites are the odd ones out on hair (and eye) color, not blacks. As for textures: Asians, Eskimos and American Indians only have straight hair, though Arabs, Aussie natives and South and East Indians vary a little in texture. As far as why: Geography is my best guess, but that explains little, especially the color issue.

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Andres
    Participant
    How about why does everyone in the world have natural Black hair except Whites? Not to mention brown eyes as well? Sounds like we Whites are the odd ones out on hair (and eye) color, not Blacks. As for textures: Orientals, Eskimos and Amerindians only have straight hair, though Arabs, Aussie natives, and South and East Indians vary a little in texture, i think. As far as why? Geography is my best guess, but that explains little (esp. the color issue).

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Wayne-C24369
    Participant
    Actually, with African Americans you see a wide range of hair textures and colors. Most of us have some white blood, and many of us have some Native American blood (I have some of both). This is the same reason our skin tones and textures vary so much.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C24369, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alicia31396
    Participant
    Clearly you have had very limited exposure to Black people. Black people come in all shapes, sizes and colors - and that includes hair texture and color. While it is true that most Black people have dark hair, that is not true for all. My sister was born blonde, my mother has smooth, fine hair and no we are not 'mixed.'

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia31396, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 33, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Abdul-A
    Participant
    First, there is some diversity in Africa in looks. I agree that with Europeans there is a lot of diversity in hair and eye color. Diversity exists among Africans, too, but not to that extent. Black hair, just like skin, gets its color from an excess of melanin. The coarse hair acts like a carpet to protect Africans living in the hot Savanah, hence protecting overheating of the brain. Coarse hair provides better ventilation. The melanin also protects from excessive ultraviolet rays, and the black color also provides camouflage in the dark rainforests of subsaharan Africa.

Now let's consider Europeans: They evolved in the harsh north. In those days, the world was in the grip of the Ice Age, and most of Eurasia had conditions like Northern Alaska. A person with a lot of melanin would not get a lot of UV rays, thus hampering Vitamin D production in the gloomy, cloudy climates in Europe. Hence, such people would develop weakness in the bones and die out. This is proved by the large number of cases of rickets in children of Africans and some dark Asians in Northern European countries. Hence the drive here would have been toward having all types of fairer skin and wavy-straight hair. Besides, white skin and fair hair would provide camouflage in the snowy background, proving advantageous for Europeans in hunting game and also preventing attacks from animals like wolves, bears, sabre-tooth tigers etc. Just like white skin is better in preventing frostbite, black skin is advantageous in preventing sunburns. East Asians evolved in frigid Eurasia, too. But their genes handled the cold in a different way. Instead of growing white, they developed a short stature, thus preventing loss of heat from the body, because less skin area would be exposed. Some scientists believe that because Nordics actually evolved in Central Asia, blond hair might have helped in the camouflage effect in the dried, hay-colored backgrounds of the grasslands of the southern Urals-Black sea area.

So you see, it's all a matter of evolution shaping the looks due to environmental conditions.

User Detail :  

Name : Abdul-A, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Middle-Eastern, Religion : Muslim, Age : 34, City : Cairo, State : NA Country : Egypt, Occupation : Professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Rick29883
    Participant
    Yours is an excellent answer, Abdul. I hope you continue to post answers on yforum.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29883, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

nicola
    Participant
    perhaps your exposure to blacks has been limited and from your question it seems that is the situation, but i have seen fellow brothers and sisters with black and brown and strawberry blond and red hair (see Malcom X and Sinbad), in textures from kinky to straight to curly and all in betwixt, just as whites vary, blacks do also.

User Detail :  

Name : nicola, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Redeemed-One30109
    Participant
    Why do you not ask the same question about Asians or Hispanics? By the way, most black people have dark brown eyes and hair, not black. Caucasians are the only race with varied hair colors.

User Detail :  

Name : Redeemed-One30109, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 53, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Benny23370
    Participant
    It's because the artificial demographic 'white' is composed of Saxon people with Saxon features, Germanic people with Germanic features, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Benny23370, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 65, City : Lablanc, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay20852
    Participant
    Hair protects the head from the elements. Frizzy/coarse/dark hair protects the head from strong sun (i.e. in Africa, Middle East, etc.), and smooth/light-colored hair does the opposite by allowing as much sunlight where there may be little available (i.e. in Norway, Sweden, Northern Europe,etc.). Black people originate from very hot places and need the protection their hair provides, whereas white people are from hot and cold places (i.e. Greece/Russia) and so their hair varies according to the climate of their origin. As with eye color, skin color, shape of eyes, height and level of body fat, it's all part of the evolutionary process that makes people more 'fit' for the conditions in which they live.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay20852, Gender : F, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Samm-B29439
    Participant
    Black people come in every shade, and have all kinds of hair colors, textures and styles. Also eye and skin color is varied. I'm not even talking about the folks who color their hair or wear colored lenses!

User Detail :  

Name : Samm-B29439, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 37, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joann30568
    Participant
    That's the way God made us. Just the same way Asians have only straight, black hair, or whites have light skin and narrow features. The hair is coarse because blacks originally came from Africa, and our physical characteristics had to adjust to the hot weather. There are blacks who have hair that isn't short, coarse or black, and that is because they are mixed with another race(s) somewhere in their family. For example, my hair is dark brown, gets reddish in the sun and is long and curly (not kinky). There is nothing inherently inferior about kinky hair. It's just different, the way every person on this planet is.

User Detail :  

Name : Joann30568, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Danielle27237
    Participant
    Anyone who's seen a reasonable number of black people can see that that's not the case. There's just as much variety in black people's hair colors and textures as their is in skin tones. A lot of times, people's hair just looks coarse because it's really curly. For example, my hair is almost black and is really curly, but really soft. My first cousin, on the other hand, has naturally sandy brown, reddish hair. Another has really coarse hair. My grandmother has really fine, soft hair, and I have cousins who are blond with blue and green eyes, even though they have two black parents. Saying that all black people have the same hair is like saying all black people are the same shade of brown.

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle27237, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 17, City : Greensboro, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Cindy31948
    Participant
    Black people have the largest diversity of gene phenotypes, and the black race displays the widest variety - and I am not even refering to those that are mixed. THe black race beget all other races, hence the black race comprises all of the genetic material, while other races only have a limited set. In Africa, there are unmixed blacks with all shades of brown to black skin, there are those with naturally straight or wavy hair - Ethiopians, Sudanese, Fulani. There are those with yellowish skins - Bush tribe, who, by the way, also have slanted ('asian')eyes, but tightly coiled hair. There are also anomalities which cause blacks to have white skin, and reddish or even blond hair - albinism. Some blacks have red hair and are neither albinos nor mixed! THere are blacks in Africa - unmixed, with narrow facial features - the Hausa and Fulani in West Africa, the Tutsis in Central Africa. You must remember, the Black man is the original man, who contains every code of the human genome. You can get so-called 'white/asian' features from the Blacks, but you can never get black features from unmixed whites.

User Detail :  

Name : Cindy31948, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.