Black, like LeeAnn Rimes, so what?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Cottrell-E-Smith
    Participant
    Jodie, I would echo most of the other respondants when i say that you should just be who you are- meaning enjoy your music, wear your clothes and speak how you choose. Having the courage to be yourself despite what others around you might think is a sign of maturity. However, be mature enough to also recognize that just as you are a product of your environment, with the will and desire to be yourself, your peers too, are a product of thier's. There are reasons why some speak differently than you. Try not to blame the victim because there are a lot of reasons why people may speak the way that they do ('improperly'). That is, if your critics are of african descent, because they expect that you will speak as they do, or have other things in common with themselves does not make them any less worldly than you, it simply means that they, like most children (and most adults as well), are trying to make sense of the world by making or adhering to certain generlizations. Often times when people try to criticize others it is due to to a lack of security w/in themselves. Instead of judging, thinking of them as backward (not that you do this), because of how they may behave or even because of how they may judge you, embrace them, show them why you are the person you want to be and help them to do the same. If your critics are not of african descent and they are expecting you to behave the way they think african americans do, resist this preasure, be yourself and show that being of African descent is not defined by how pop culture may portray us, or how some of us may even portray our slves at times. In short help others think out side of the box. That doesn't make them any less worldly than you are and i haesitate to say this but depending on what you mean by 'proper' (accent or gammer) if your critics are of african

User Detail :  

Name : Cottrell-E-Smith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Berkeley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Daniel A.
    Participant
    You know what, it's always going to be like that too. Never quite black enough and obviously not white, you can be stuck in the ahrdest of hard places. My best advice is to be as true to yourself as possible and live your life at your own pace and with your own sence of justice, value and dignity. You cannot always choose your situation but you can choose how you react. But learn as much about your own culture as possible because they don't teach that stuff in school. That's how I became a jazz musician!! Good luck little sister and find your passion, -D-

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Musician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Craig31898
    Participant
    I think you have to understand that stereotypes have some truth in them. We also need to organize things in our head, and end up pigeoning holing people - cheerleaders, stoners, brains - the whole idea of The Breakfast Club. But there is some truth you have to admit. I used to live in a diverse neighborhood. There was a used CD store, and the bins were divided by days, split into Rock and Rap. While I would flip through rock, almost every black person flipped through rap. Outside, you could hear a car coming about a block away from the bass of some rap song. Most of my black friends eat collard greens. Most of my black friends say, 'Yo, what up?' 'For-real?' When I go to my bank, the black people have names like Datonio, Shawdra, Photino, and Tré. I have So, when there is someone who is very different from that,you are going to stand out, the same way you would if you were a gay guy who loves football or a girl who can swing a bat and has a good arm. I wonder if you, yourself, have caught yourself saying something like, 'Wow, that guy has a lot of rhythm,' surprised that a white guy could dance, for example. I think it is less about maturity and more about the way our mind tries to organize things, and overgeneralizes, based on experience.

User Detail :  

Name : Craig31898, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, 

Kev
    I agree with Deb of Chicago. Jodie never mind how others react towards you just because you are different in thier eyes. I think all 'intelligent' people world wide have this same senario. I am a White African from Zimbabwe living in the UK. I find that I am not like those around me in many ways. I don't conform to thier dress code, I don't speak like them and I don't understand their immature ways. My ideals in Life are more far reaching and realistic, whereas theirs are shallow governed by Soap Operas and Pop Culture and Football personalities. They seem frightened to make choices for themselves. This all boils down to Education and how you interpret it personally. Only intellegent people can fully understand the meaning of Life in the right context. For us to make the World a better place and promote ethnic harmony we must do 'our bit' in helping others to understand us through better Education and expanded horizons. I just made it through High School, yet I have found the enjoyment of learning and accepting much later in Life. Colour has nothing to do with Intelligence!

User Detail :  

Name : Kev, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Lack of a good Education, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 50, City : Silloth, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Living in Exile, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    Don't worry about it...BE YOURSELF!!! I agree with many of the other responses and would like to add that if you listen to interviews of many great musical artists - black and white - you will hear them say that they listen to a wide range of music themselves and that it keeps them creative. Janet Jackson stated that she listens to country music all the time and is a fan of many of the top female singers. Who would have guessed?

User Detail :  

Name : Comocrea J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, Age : 26, City : McKeesport, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : home maker / caregiver, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kelly R.
    For the longest time, I've fought the same battle. Although i was raised by 2 black parents, my biological father is biracial and so my parents have always tried to give me a sense of my 'other' side, so I've always been in racially mixed surroundings. I've gone to predominantly White schools and, consequently, I like a lot of things that are considered to be 'white' things. I love rock, I wear AE and Fitch and Gap, I speak very properly. And sadly the people that who have given me the most crap about this has been my own people. They don't seem to realize that how I dress or talk, and what music I listen to doesn't tell you how I think. it just tells you who I've been around. I consider myself to very racially aware, but I hear all of the time that I'm 'not black enough'.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : university instructor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christine
    I have that exact problem. I hate it when people want to say that you are not 'black enough' if you accept people and things from all cultures. I think it should strengthen your bond with your fellow Americans, and also with your culture. In my opinion, it makes me a stronger African American because I can see other cultures' differences and embrace them. But I am also aware of and love my heritage very much. When people say things like that to you, explain to them that black people are just like everyone else, and that we can like System of A Down just as much as anyone, because we are Americans and we can do that.

User Detail :  

Name : Christine, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Pat Rice
    Participant
    From a different perspective (that of a teacher) you might want to think not about others' ability to think beyond stereotypes, but what have they been exposed to? You are privileged. You've had opportunities and exposure to things others haven't. Take that into consideration when thinking about why those people who think you're wierd are so ignorant.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat Rice, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : College Park, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : teacher/ student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay31316
    Participant
    Look, I agree that you should be your own person and like what you like and all of that. No one thinks it's strange for a white kid to like hip hop, so why should it be strange for a black kid to like rock? Different music moves you in different ways, regardless of race, BUT.......the whole country thing? Yeah, sorry, but that does seem weird. I know I'm from California and, in general, if you're from one of the coasts you have certain views about the south and it's culture, but It seems to me like if you're black, country music should sort of creep you out. It's almost the same as wearing a shirt with the confederate flag on it. Country music has this whole racist image that is hard to get around. I wouldn't really think twice about your brand of clothes or liking rock, but seeing you bumping some country would be a pretty disturbing image. No way around it.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31316, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.