Women and talking and talking and talking…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Chetan
    Why do women talk so much? I've been all over the world and this seems to be a common denominator of all women. Especially when they talk to other women. I don't think men could ever understand it. Also, do women think that sometimes their talking is annoying to others who happen to be nearby, such as on a train? Do they think that when they talk everybody thinks their conversation is interesting?

User Detail :  

Name : Chetan, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Kerry
    Women bond by communicating, whereas men tend to use speech only to exchange information. We are also more interested in finding similarities with the people we are talking to. We want to be like the people we are talking to. The people I'm talking to do find what I'm saying interesting, or they wouldn't continue to talk to me. And I find them interesting. On a train or bus or something, it doesn't matter who you're sitting next to, you're not going to be interested in their conversation, so I generally try to keep the volume low and go on with my business. What's my other option, to sit in bored silence and wait until I have a deserted area to talk to somebody?

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 32, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Stagehand, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jennifer30886
    Participant
    Women are much more communal than men. In ancient times, men hunted and did other singular activities while women tended the home and the children. 'Women's work' was very communal and required the help of multiple women to get all the nessary jobs done. Also, women process information, emotions and events by talking through them, rather than retreating to a cave like many men do.

Regarding women talking on a train or other semi-public place, no, we don't think everyone else is interested in our conversation. We think that other people should go about their own business rather than eavesdropping on conversations that don't pertain to them.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30886, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chetan
    I think your statement of men going to a cave and also the statement that other people are eavesdropping seems like a somewhat angry, defensive response. Many times women will, in public places, talk loudly and excitedly. It annoys other people around them, but the women seem to not care about that. It's not a question of 'eavesdropping' but of being forced to listen to a conversation for a period of time. As for men going to caves, I think both genders sometimes require periods of solitude to work through troublesome problems. I hope you're not trying to say that one gender is better than another.

User Detail :  

Name : Chetan, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, 

Rick29957
    Participant
    Yes. It's called being respectful of others.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29957, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greta
    In mixed-gender conversations, men consistently talk more than women, and even when it is three times as much, they still feel that women dominated the conversation. Men also interrupt women more than women interrupt men, especially to change the subject. These things happen to me a lot. See the textbook, Gender Roles: A Sociological Perspective. It also says than in same-gender contexts, where power is less important, women talk more than men. Talking a lot is definitely not a common denominator of all women. I talk somewhat a lot with my few very closest friends (who are most often male and talk at least as much as me) and sometimes my mom or brother, but only to tell them about exciting or interesting things, not to blab and gossip about people. With all other people, I talk as little as possible. I never make small talk with anyone. I never talk to any stranger unless I have a definite need to (important question to ask or something). I think it's rude to walk up to a stranger and start asking personal questions and commenting on their appearance.

User Detail :  

Name : Greta, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : undefined, Race : unknown, Age : 27, City : Olmsted Falls, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : graphic designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    Like others have said, women are more verbal. Plus, it's also society. Men aren't expected to be as verbal. Women invented language. Try to convey, 'Johnny, if you fall out of that tree and break your neck, I'll kill you!' with a grunt.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.