Women and makeup

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Mario
    Participant
    Why do women dress and make themselves up more elaborately than men?

User Detail :  

Name : Mario, Gender : M, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, 

Ana
    Participant
    we do it to attract attention and to make ourselves look more as we think we should. Society (and guys) tell us we need to look a certain way and that is how we try to look. not all women make themselves up too much but some take it to extremes.

User Detail :  

Name : Ana, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 16, City : kingsville, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, 

Katrina-Mangin
    Participant
    I am a woman, and I don't primp at all unless its a special occasion, which may arise once a year. I know I look really good, and I don't need to paint my face to feel pretty. My boyfriend primps more than I do. Most guys appreciate my carefree, sexy style. Plus, I'm a full-time student, and I work 30 hours a week. After a night of studying, when I drag myself out of bed, the last thing I'm worried about is finding the right eyeliner to match my blouse.

User Detail :  

Name : Katrina-Mangin, Gender : F, Race : caucasian american, Age : 20, City : mobile, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kathy26671
    Participant
    One simple reason, they are trying to impress someone. Either they are trying to attract a mate or they are trying to impress a colleague.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy26671, Gender : F, Age : 50, City : Springfield, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Medical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

t27550
    Participant
    I just read an interesting answer to your question today; I find I really agree to the below: 'The greater variety of clothing worn by women has been attributed to the fact that men are deemed admirable if they project a stable self-image, whereas women are judged attractive if they are skilful exponents of a multiple self. [...] These possibilities [of female dress] may range from sobriety to self-mockery. Most feminists would infer from this that a sexist advertising cons women into consuming far more products than men, and worse still, into presenting themselves as less serious participants in social situation. Future commentators may judge otherwise and conclude that the dreary predictability of male clothing for most of the 20th century [...] was merely the vestige of a prim Victorianism which had long disappeared in personal behaviour and social practice.' D. Kiberd, Men and Feminism in Modern Literature (Macmillan, 1985) p. 222.

User Detail :  

Name : t27550, Gender : F, Age : 33, City : munich, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : lecturer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

RJBuie
    Here are some reasons I know of: 1.It's expected: they just do it because it's actually an unspoken social 'requirement'. 2.They want to attract men. 3.They want to appear more beautiful than they think they really are. 4. They want to impress people in general with thier femininity. (more unspken social stuff) Basically, it's just something they were taught to do to be proper females in society. Women who don't do this are generally considered plain and/or unattractive.

User Detail :  

Name : RJBuie, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Abilene, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jay31348
    Participant
    Depending on where you live in the world, some men dress better than women. As a matter of fact, my sneakers and clothes are better than my wife's, and I get my hair cut more often then she does - I even shave more than she shaves her legs.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31348, Gender : M, City : Hill Valley, State : na Country : Canada, 

odd_socks
    Participant
    Female competition, social pressure and excellent marketing strategies are my guesses.

User Detail :  

Name : odd_socks, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 22, City : Adelaide, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Heather21488
    Participant
    Girls are taught (at least I was) from a very young age that it is important to look a certain way, and our mothers push upon us that we need makeup to do that. Advertising does the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather21488, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Hanford, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

leighsa
    Because we can. It is sad that an unattractive man can do little about his appearance, but an unattractive female has a multitude of 'solutions'. I know of many women who look completely different when they do not have all that makeup on. Some women really know how to make it work for them. I have always been happy that I am the type that sure, makeup makes me look better, but I am still recognizable without it, and I do not feel compelled to plaster it on just to run to the corner store.

User Detail :  

Name : leighsa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Somewhere, State : KY Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kate
    I read a quotation one time: it said 'we'll believe that men and women are equal when a woman can be balding, have a pot-belly and still be considered attractive.' The point being that what is considered 'attractive' for women is extremely narrow, and it is much less so for men. Ever watch T.V. and movies? How many women are there that are not typically thin and beautiful in lead roles? What about men? There isn't any makeup for men. Cosmetic companies know that women want to be attractive and must put more effort into it to attract men. It's frustrating and disheartening, especially with all these 'extreme makeover' shows. The makeup issue is just another manifestation of the inequalities that still exist.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Melinda
    Participant
    as far as clothes, different styles and different assessories are choosen to highlight or distract a woman's good features and detract or hide the less desireable features of a woman's body. makeup is for same reason to hide flaws and highlight nice features. the general rule of thumb is to create the ideal facial shape by using make up to contour and shape the face.

User Detail :  

Name : Melinda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Baptist, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : fashion model/designer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MikeJ
    Participant
    There is a reason women wear makeup to enhance their physical features - it increases their chances of survival bc that is what most men look for. Is it any surprise women spend x10 the amount of money on beauty products in the US? Personally I think too much whore paint is unattractive.

User Detail :  

Name : MikeJ, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 20, City : Cedar Rapids, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.