Why poke fun at the disabled?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mark-T
    Participant
    When someone has a disability, why do people make fun of them? It's not their fault and they have no control over their condition.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark-T, Gender : M, City : West Monroe, State : NY Country : United States, 

Ashley
    Participant
    My boyfriend of two years has a daughter that was born with CP and was recently diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. She has some problems and watching her interact with people can sometimes be heartbreaking. She waves at someone and they turn their head or says Hi! and they look at the ground. I don't believe that these people are horrible and deserve to rot in hell. I think that many people who are uncomfortable and even goes as far as making fun of disabled children/adults just do not know how to handle it. They dont know how to deal with it so they make it funny which relieves them somewhat, even though they know inside that it really is not funny. I'm not say all people have this excuse, some people are just flat out cruel and someday what goes around will come back around

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

KatieH
    People make fun of others who have disabilities because they have not been taught by their parents to be tolerant of others that are different - no matter what disability they have, the color of their skin, their age, what religion they are or how they dress. Parents need to do a better job instilling tolerance in their children. This is a parent's ethical responsibility to make the world a better place by teaching their children tolerance and respect.

User Detail :  

Name : KatieH, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 39, City : Singapore, State : NA Country : United States, Occupation : mother/wife/workhorse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

MoeSullivan
    Participant
    As a parent of a disabeled child, I have first hand knowledge that this issue is a tough one and being that, if we think we are even going to make a dent in the behavior, we cannot let the lessons end at the front door to our homes. It is up to all of us, in particular those that are in the position of influence, like those in the education system who themselves often carry forward messages of intolerance, to carry positive messages forward instead. Most of this descrimination is so deepely ingrained that people, even those with the best of intentions, do not even realize they are doing it. This is a form of institutional descrimination that is difficult to end.

User Detail :  

Name : MoeSullivan, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 49, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

HiediR
    All too often people put down or dislike what they do not understand......this goes for just about anything that makes us different not only disabilities. I agree with the person who said that parents need to do a better job at teaching acceptance and tolerance. People generally (unconsciously) want to gravitate towards things like symmetry and "good speaking voice". Unfortunately in the case of some disabilities such as cerebral palsy the face is often no longer symmetrical and the person may have slurred speech or may even be extremely difficult to understand. Another is that a lot of able-bodied people feel they are superior to those of us with disabilities. You guys can often do things we as disabled can not. There is one thing that I think we as disabled people do to those

User Detail :  

Name : HiediR, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.