Why is America so anti-tourist?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Bernice
    I'm a South African and have been here six months. I am so appalled with American society. The service everywhere is terrible, and people are rude and couldn't care less about a tourist or even a fellow American. I have been on the trains and airlines. From nice restaurants to McDonalds. From big expensive stores to discounters. Why are Americans so damn unhelpful? Don't they want the world to like America? Or do they just not care? At this stage I can truly not recommend the United States to anyone.

User Detail :  

Name : Bernice, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Villanova, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Antonio-M
    Participant
    Americans (with few exceptions) hate their jobs. Most of the jobs you refer to offer few benefits, and you would be lucky to get above $6 an hour. With jerks for bosses, B.S. such as mandatory overtime, the 'take lunch when you're not busy' policy and one week paid vacation a year if you're lucky, you can't expect much from a U.S. worker. This may sound a little whiney, but my point is that U.S. employees hate their jobs, and with no real incentive (no raises, no or little chance of advancement, constant layoffs - during record-breaking profits, mind you), employees are only going to do the minimum to avoid being fired. Trust me, we're watching the clock the whole time.

User Detail :  

Name : Antonio-M, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

monique-m
    Participant
    To answer your question Bernice I don't think America is so anti tourist. It probably depends on the kind of the people that you have encounter and not because of their nationality. There are rude people everywhere just like there are some rude Japanese, some rude Polish , some rude Germans. Some people just have a sucky attitude and act like they have always have a big pound of ham shoved up their asses. I believe in general that Americans are glad to have tourists because that way people from other countries can see how vast and beautiful and diverse this land can be. So I'm one of those Americans that are glad when people like you come along. So forget those jackasses and tell them to go to HELL!!!!!! and stick a rubber hose up their butt.

User Detail :  

Name : monique-m, Gender : F, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : ft.myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Rick29778
    Participant
    I have traveled widely in Europe and North and Central America and have had the exact opposite experience. I have only received bad service in an American restaurant once or twice, in shops more often, but never got any service at all in shops in other countries, even Canada.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29778, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chad
    Participant
    For starters, if you are so appauled by the 'Americans' then go back to South Africa. Of course, we live different that where you came from. We don't accept tourist and or immigrants because we can't trust them anymore especially after 9/11. We (americans) could care less what other countries think of us. Why should we? North America is the land of oppertunity. We have everything at our finger tips and thats all that counts. That is why we love it here.

User Detail :  

Name : Chad, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : none of your buisness, Age : 19, City : Wooster, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    I personal do feel America is not so anti-tourist but if you look at all countries there are rude people. when arriving to France they have a huge wall that says France is for the France. but we American open our doors to millions of immigrants a year. I dont mean to be mean but if America is so rude,unhelpful and mean may i ask why you still insist on staying in a place such as this. do you not see all the bussiness the help the poor or all the millions of volunteers that clock the hour. I wounder the last time an American tourist or anyone got killed when visiting Africa

User Detail :  

Name : Kimmy Smithes, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : St.Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Brian
    I have travelled quite a bit for work, generally in Ireland and Scotland for golf, and in my travels I have experienced good service and bad service, and some of the places that are supposed to be the most hospitable have been the worst. America's tourism industry might not be the best in the world but at the same time we have the largest influence on our experiences when we travel

User Detail :  

Name : Brian, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Mount Laurel, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Golf Pro, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nathan20133
    Participant
    I'm SURE that if I were to go to South Africa I wouldn't be treated nearly as nicely as you've been treated in America.

User Detail :  

Name : Nathan20133, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30's, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Eric L.
    Participant
    I think you have been to the wrong places. People in different parts of the US seem to have different attitudes towards tourist. In San Diego the people seem to like tourist. If you ask them a question or need help, most times you will find that people don't mind helping you. Now maybe that's because we live in the such a nice climate. On the other hand i have been to places on the East Coast, and when i needed help the people were too busy. So i really think you should try to go somewhere in the US with good weather. People in these places seems to be more open to helping other people.

User Detail :  

Name : Eric L., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : college student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Hugh-Brown
    Participant
    I think it would be wise to not paint all of the U.S. with the same brush. Having traveled all over the country, I found remarkable differences in the way tourists (international or not) were treated. In more tourist-frequented areas, you should expect to be treated more civilly. There are also cultural differences in the different regions of the U.S. Call me biased, but I found people in the South, West and Midwest to be much more polite, whereas in the Northeast I found people to be rather rude by my standards.

User Detail :  

Name : Hugh-Brown, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, 

Dave
    Participant
    Bernice, I'm sorry to hear your trip has been so lousy. Depending on where you are in the U.S., you could get the red carpet rolled out, or the door slammed in your face. I believe it is the same in many other places, as I have traveled a bit. But that makes me think, have you been stuck in a single place for those 6 months, or have you been traveling around. Have you been to Fort Collins Colorado, where people leave their doors unlocked and can leave their bicycle out front of a store and it will still be there when they return. What about Vermont, where you can stop at a farm stand, and make your own change at an 'Honor System' register. Not to mention the everyday nice people that are out there. Years ago, a business colleague who is also from South Africa, (He Jokingly dubbs himself a 'Real' African American), had told me of how he came to be an American. He came here on business trips regularly, to various U.S. locations, and decided to move here, at that point he had been here about 10 or so years. So my point is: Perhaps you haven't seen enough of America yet, is that possible? Antonio, I know you stated there are exceptions, but I have to be the voice of those exceptions. First off, not everyone hates his or her job. Not everyone watches the clock. You sound like you are not happy with your job, Im sorry to hear that. Would you like some very simple advice?...Make yourself more valuable. Either go back to school, or learn a trade. Basically, gain some knowledge that makes you more marketable at whatever it is that you do, or would like to do. Therein lie a better paycheck, perhaps some benefits and a little more respect. I'm thinking your 29, so you should have a plan, right? If you do, and your plan is sound, things will get better, keep working hard. If you don't, start working on one today...your 29! And in ten years you'll be 39, how long does it feel since you were 19? Went fast didn't it, 39 will come twice as fast. Make a plan, set up some goals, and keep your eyes on the prize. Whatever you do, do it well and the job will need you more than you need the job.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 34, City : Long Island, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

KCE
    ..to what has been already said, as a former Disney employee I can tell you a bit more about where this animosity (real or implied) comes from. In training, we were told to 'think for the tourists since they leave their brains at the terminal.' Sometimes, it goes a bit too far. To illustrate, there is a legend (don't know if it's true) that is rampant in the parks. It says that Joe Peschi (sp?) came up with his Leathal Weapon character by watching a Disneyland employee tell people where the bathroom was while the sign was perfectly visible nearby. As in,'ok. ok. they're over there. ok. ok.' Such unprofessionalism as you speak of is inexcusable regardless of the low pay, lousy hours, lousy benefits, overbearing management, et al. No wonder there is a high turnover rate amongst the theme park attractions. I'd like to know where it was that you were wronged. And, it's not just to tourists (domestic or foreign), but to locals as well. In this current climate, it is uncertain where the next paycheck, however meager, is coming from. So, out of fear and frustration, tounge lashings happen. Not an excuse, but perhaps an explanation.

User Detail :  

Name : KCE, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Natalie
    Participant
    Although I wouldn't go as far to say that I wouldn't recommend America as a tourst destination, I would caution a fellow Canuck about the service there. Canadian minimum wage ranges from $5.90 - $8.00 and I rarely experience terrible or blatantly rude servive at home. The jobs here are just as menial - I worked in a coffe shop on the midnight shift for 6 years getting paid $6/hr. serving customers, cleaning toilets ...being sexually harassed-and still managed to, at the very least, smile. My fiance and I went on a shopping trip to NY . While driving down, we stopped at Dennys. The waitress wouldn't even acknowledge my partner (because he's East Indian? I really don't know) and she practically threw our plates in front of us. The Host wasn't particularily welcoming either. Only once would I say we received 'good' service. At Lane Bryant the staff seemed to be reasonably knowledgeable about the clothing. People there aren't as friendly either. At home, it seems typical that people will look behind them whe going through a doorway. If someone is behind them, they will hold the door. I had TWO doors hit me (one shut hard) when some oblivious tool in front of me let it go. When I held the door for people....NOT ONE person thanked me. Will I go back? Probably. The taxes are lower there. Will I enjoy my trip? Not likely.

User Detail :  

Name : Natalie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Deist, Age : 32, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Meggie
    Participant
    Hi, I was born & raised in the North East (within miles of your location as a matter of fact and my entire family is still there) and believe that you need to visit other regions of our great country to get the full picture of the US. ------ It wasn't until I began to winter in Florida over 10 years ago that I began to realize that my fellow North Easterners (not all, but too many) are consistantly just not as personable as folks from, say, the South or the Midwest. ------- Living down here in a 'SnowBird' area, we encounter folks from all over the country (and the world) on a daily basis. And, it's gotten to the point that, when I encounter a gloomy, not-so-nice person (shoving ahead of you, not saying 'excuse me', et. el.), I automatically ask where in the NorthEast/Ohio they're from -- without ever hearing a word from them. It never fails, either! This is amazing! ---- Upon encountering a smiling, polite,pleasant person, one can guarantee they are Southerners/Texans or from somewhere in the Gateway/Mid-West. (I can just go by accents from there once they speak - and they usually greet you anyway). ---- This has been perplexing me to no end for 10 years now!! This is why I found this forum. It drives me crazy! ---- These other regions have crowded cities, crimes, bad weather, as well! Heck, Chicago's wind chills alone make winters in Philly, NJ, NY ... seem like Spring. Their problems are no different than those of ours in the NE. (And no difference in behavior post/pre 9/11). ---- So, hey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, right on up to Maine: ---- What on earth is your problem?! What are they putting in your drinking water?! And how is it you can see somebody every day for months and never once address them by name even though they greet you by yours?! ---- And why can't you come to a beautiful South Florida island with perennial sunshine, no traffic, no crime, a beach 2 blocks away from every building on it and, at least, attempt to be pleasant and polite like the folks from other parts of our country do? (And your face will not break in two if you smile, you know).

User Detail :  

Name : Meggie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Not, Age : 35, City : Originally Phila., State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Hospitality, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Matt Hally
    Participant
    I think that discrimintion has been going on for a very long time and that nobody really knows when it started, but I belive that it has been around just as long as man was alive. From what I've seem people are uncomfortable with other races because they are not familiar to that culture so they are intimidated by it. It is important to remember that we are all equals and that we should treat eachother that way. We shouldn't have to be intimidated by the way someone looks or feels just because they are different then our selfs.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt Hally, Gender : M, Age : 22, City : Geneva, State : IL Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.