Why do most blacks vote Democratic?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Darnell27267
    Participant
    I'll give you this example, to explain your question. I attend the largest Black church in the state of Wisconsin, in milwaukee (15,000 people), and the pastor said, on tuesday night, that the Republican Party just approached him and asked to speak to the congregation. The pastor was reluctant, because he said this was the first time he was appraoched by Republican party. He had been aggressively approached by the Democratic Party for years. Bottom line? We're important to the Republican Party ONLY DURING THE ELECTION SEASON.

User Detail :  

Name : Darnell27267, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 39, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

David A.
    Participant
    I've noticed that roughly 90 percent of black people vote for Democrats. Why is this?

User Detail :  

Name : David A., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Stutterer, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 57, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Software Developer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jami
    I found your question to be quite interesting. I was raised by my parents to vote Democrat because historically, Republicans haven't seemed to be particularly sensitive to issues that arise in the modern American Black community. As I've become aware enough to make my own decisions, I'm still not convinced that Republicans have a grasp on the problems that face American Black communities. When I hear President Bush say that he would combat joblessness in our communities by espousing the No Child Left Behind Act, which gives out vouchers for private school attendance, I realize that he doesn't know the struggles of my parents, who work their behinds off for what we have, but still don't have enough money to afford private school, even with vouchers. I realize that the intentions are good, but I keep finding that the solutions espoused by Republicans seem to always be framed in the context of their own experiences, not in the experiences of the people whose votes they're trying to attract. As a young black female, I don't believe they understand me or my needs at all. Democrats seem to have a better handle on this, although their grasp is not necessarily perfect either. Hope this helps, Jami

User Detail :  

Name : Jami, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : MBA Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail
    Funny how the Democrats took over concern for the downtrodden race from the republicans in the 20th century. Starting with FDR and then Johnson pushing through his social legislation at the height of the civil rights movement. Unfortunately, a good proportion of American blacks are poor and what sane poor person would support the party of the rich who depend upon their exploitation?

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Reggie30128
    Participant
    The question should be why is the majority Republican legislation that addresses race detrimental to black people? See dixie-crats do a google search on that and see what you get they still run the Gop. P.S. Lincoln was the most progressive president ever not conservative at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Reggie30128, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 29, City : Somewhere, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Novak T.
    Participant
    Hi David; Churchill once said 'to be 20 something and not democratic, you have no heart, and to be 30 something and not Republican, then you have no brain!' I think that it's a part of the Social Status. To be poor, is to be Democratic, and to be Rich is to be Republican. If I were rich, I'd be Republican, but since I'm poor, I'm Democratic. And before you say anything, NO, I'm not saying that 90% of black people are poor. I'm saying that social and cultural status affects how one votes. I believe in the system. And I have sworn before Jessie Jackson that 'I am a registered voter'. Because if it weren't for the power of political change, if it weren't for the power of 'Civil Disobedience', American Social and Cultural Change would never have happened. We have a long, long way to go. The Republican party doesn't do much for the African American vote, the Democrats do! We (White People) look at Black Republicans with a little skepticism. Why in the world would someone want to give their vote to a guy like Bush, who stole the election in Florida?!?! Jessie's message is simple, to choose not to choose is a choice. Quite frankly, I'm not voting for Kerry, I'm voting for 'NOT BUSH'!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, and God bless the United States of America!!!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Novak T., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Morrow, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Ramp Agent / Ramp Rat, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kira
    Participant
    In short, nowadays most blacks vote Democratically because that's who they see as on their side, or who they've been taught to think is on their side. Though in the beginning most blacks were Republican. As a select few of the Republicans got richer and richer,and as we all know money is power, they made the party into a party that looked out for their specific intrests. So Democrats started doing things in their favor, such as government funded programs etc.,and as anyone would, they switched.

User Detail :  

Name : Kira, City : Willingboro, State : NJ Country : United States, 
    Our affinity for the democratic party directly correlates with the evolution of the civil rights movement. Whether due to racism or federalism, Republicans during the 50s and 60s did not believe integration and basic civil rights should be mandated by the federal government. Using the shield of states rights many republicans blatently refused to comply with laws meant to assimilate and protect african americans. It was the Democratic party, as led by JFK, that tackled the civil rights issue head on, thereby earning the overwhelming loyalty of black voters. That tradition has continued with mostly democratic candidates giving some form of lip service to those issues that disproportionably affect black americans: affirmatitive action, civil liberties, educational equality, social service agencies, worker's rights, etc. Whether democrats should still recieve our defacto support is a brewing topic in our communities. However, i don't see too many of us jumping ship this election.

User Detail :  

Name : Tressie Cottom, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : copywriter, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

doug galecawitz
    Participant
    part of it may stem from the fact that the liberal left (which in general is democrats) were the first major political party to embrace the civil rights movement. a tradition of voting democrat got started and hasn't been broken.

User Detail :  

Name : doug galecawitz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Lisle, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

DIVA
    Participant
    To understand the voting habits of blacks is to understand the history of the democratic party. The democratic party was the part of the south that yes supported jim crow laws and every other social 'injustice' so to speak. It was the party of Jessie Helms, Wallace and every other southern politicians of that ilk. It was also the party in those areas that fought hard against blacks getting the right to vote, discouraging etc. The Republican party interesting enough was the party of abolitionists, the only party that during reconstruction had the first black senator and congressman and encouraged their political preticipation during THAT time period. It was the party of social change and new ideas. It was that northern party as some in the south would refer with their LIBERAL and SOCIAL idealism. The party much like today of the more affluent. When Lyndon Johnson passed the civil rights act the majority of the social segregationists were OUTRAGED and they defected to the republican party and brought the ideas of the southern democratic south with them. The purpose of the blacks and why they are democratic was back then it was to break into the party so to speak get the right to vote and make a change in the very party that worked so hard to deny them. Do your own research and don't listen to me. All the Jessie helms type politians who are still alive and of that age range were originally democrats. It what my friends call the never discussed switch a roo. In our eyes the rednecks, the defacto racists,segregationists,truck riding flag flying,white trash,anyplace except where the niggers are who WERE back then democrats went over to the republican party. Now their children are republicans without the history of the change. Except the parents brought their ideas with them. Sadly to say the Barry Goldwaters and the other republican politicians who still do have the spirit of the early day republican party voices to me are diluted and knocked to the side. Replaced by evangelical christians and other minority not included types. Why would anyone want to belong to that?

User Detail :  

Name : DIVA, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : CHAPEL HILL, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

DIVA
    Participant
    Yes I would vote for a republican if he/she was the best canidate and I think we do. Cross over voting yes registering as a repub no. Yes we fought and made inroads to the democratic party who was at a time the say way but maybe we're just plain tired of fighting. Its an old shoe but its broken in and were comfortable perhaps too much.

User Detail :  

Name : DIVA, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : CHAPEL HILL, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

monica
    Participant
    one of the main reasons black people vote democrat goes all the way back to the 60's with JFK. He started all the civil rights bills and programs that helped black people get on a equal footing with white america. This one action alone solidified loyalty for the democratic party. Whereas republicans refuse to see the inequality in this country. For example, Reagan wanted to reexamine the law that prohibited private schools that discriminate to not have tax exempt status, in other words he wanted it changed so, although these schools discriminated based on race, they should still receive the tax exempt status, thereby sending a clear message to the schools that the government thought it was okay for them to discriminate. Another more recent example is Bush Jr seeing no need for affirmative action. Most blacks and realistic whites know that there is still a need for affirmative action. So to answer your question, democrats are more willing to recognize blacks, republicans act like we don't exist

User Detail :  

Name : monica, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Robin R.
    democrats are typically more socially liberal than republicans,more accepting of differences in people. especially now the republicans have gotten extremely conservative and narrow minded in their religious views. also in the past repubicans oppose higher taxes, ESPECIALLY on the rich.(example the captital gains tax that was drastically reduced by bush) for this reason the rich tend to vote republican-to protect their money. democrats, being more accepting of differences in people(gender,race,sexual orientation)attract more ethnic minorities as a result)the republican 'big tent' is a joke.

User Detail :  

Name : Robin R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : none i know of, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Thought Movement, Age : 51, City : birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : laboratory tech, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dump
    Participant
    Because, like most Democrats, they want something given to them. They would vote for Mister Ed if he were a Democrat.

User Detail :  

Name : Dump, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 59, City : Luray, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Self Employed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Leanne
    The make up of democrat/republican voting also breaks down by economic class. It's harder to become rich if your black, less likely to get bank loans, studies showed college applicants with 'black' sounding names ( Jamall Jackson) got passed over more frequently, etc. Today you dont have to be racist to support policies or practices that descriminate across racial lines. I personally think that policies historically supported by Rublicans more than democrats, affect black people negatively, tho the republicans may not think of themselves as racist or intentionally want to descriminate against blacks. I think the death penalty has been more heavily supported by Republicans. Black men are 4 times more likely to be given the death penalty (as of 1998) than a white man for an IDENTICAL crime. So supporting the death penalty, with so much unconscious racism in the american consciousness, supports racism. This issue is far too complex to sum up like this but oh well. Leanne 100% Bi-racial!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Leanne, Gender : F, Race : I'm a mutt!!, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : pleasant hill, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.