Why do Indians haggle so much?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Doug25630
    Participant
    Why do people from India haggle so much? I am in retail sales, and I work in an industry where margins are low. I have come very close to losing my temper with people who haggle like this, and I have actually yelled at a couple of Indian people in the past, and it didn't seem to have any effect. I am slowly losing patience, and most of the time I walk away from Indians in my store and let other salespeople deal with the frustration. Could someone offer some advice to help me understand how to deal with these people in a better way?

User Detail :  

Name : Doug25630, Gender : M, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, 

D-Poet
    Participant
    First, thank you for wanting to find an answer instead of hating all people from India. You took the first step to solving your problem, and you should be commended. Second, it is not a race of people who are haggling. It is the few you have met, and it is just a coincidence that they were all the same nationality. Think about it: they could be from Pakistan, Israel, Saudia Arabia or Iran, and just because of their brown skin you thought they were from India. Next, think about all the Indian people you have walked away from to let others deal with. How do you know they would have haggled, too?

If someone should haggle again, be they white, black, red, brown, yellow green or purple, be patient with them. Try, and you will see how they will slowly change. They will understand how you are showing ultimate patience, and they will ease up and eventually walk away if nothing can be done. Just be patient, because there is enough hatred in this world already; we don't need anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Poet, City : Everywhere, State : NA Country : Anywhere, 

JerryS
    Participant
    In many cultures, haggling is taken for granted. Paying the marked price is considered a sucker's game. The haggling is sometimes very straightforward, and sometimes it is an oblique part of sharing a cup of tea and conversation. I'm barely old enough to remember when haggling was done in many shops in the United States, and it is still done in some places (consumer electronics, for example, and college tuition). You'd be amazed at what does go on. For someone who takes haggling for granted, they may take your refusal to do so as a lack of respect.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Arnold-U23781
    Participant
    Although I don't have experience with India, when I was working in Africa, haggling was the way of life. Africans look at haggling like a social art. In our society with instant burgers and instant sales, haggling seems out of place. The purpose of haggling from the eyes of non-Americans is to have a time of interaction and skill. 'How are your kids?' 'My wife is not well.' 'Would you take $80 for that item?' 'Make it $120. I am teaching my ...' It can take a while to make a sale this way. But you can make friends in the process if you do it right.

User Detail :  

Name : Arnold-U23781, Gender : M, Religion : Christian, Age : 50, City : Edmonton, Alberta, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Ben
    Participant
    I can sympathize with your problem. I also work in retail, and like you, I deal with people from India who want to haggle over the price of every item I try to sell them. They simply don't understand that prices are non-negotiable, I guess.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Morgantown, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : salesperson, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jatin
    Participant
    In most shops in India, if you bargain with the store owner, you might get a discount. That's because most shops here are small operations, not big supermarkets like in the United States. The best way to handle this is to keep calm and tell them it is a 'fixed price.'

User Detail :  

Name : Jatin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Indian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 32, City : Delhi, State : NA Country : India, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29840
    Participant
    I am a manager in the customer service industry, and most of the time that we have a 'problem' customer, it is a Hindu or similar. I believe it is cultural, but I can't stand them anyway, so I always send one of my subordinates to deal with them, because I have no patience for such nonsense.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29840, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike20417
    Participant
    'I am a manager in the customer service industry, and most of the time that we have a 'problem' customer, it is a Hindu or similar. I believe it is cultural, but I can't stand them anyway, so I always send one of my subordinates to deal with them, because I have no patience for such nonsense' - Wow, if you're a customer service manager, no wonder the level of service has gone down so steeply.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20417, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : Henrietta, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Amarda31529
    Participant
    Well im not Indian,im Australian and I haggle all the time and the shop owners never have a problem with it. In India haggling is expected,most shop keepers would be surprised if you didn't try to haggle!

User Detail :  

Name : Amarda31529, Gender : F, City : Gold coast, State : NA Country : Australia, 

Pratichi
    Participant
    India's a pretty poor country and people have always been taught to save as much as they can. In India, by bargaining, you sometimes get discounts in small shops. So I guess we've always been taught to try and haggle. Next time, just tell them that the price is fixed and you will not accept any price less.

User Detail :  

Name : Pratichi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Indian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 18, City : Pune, State : MA Country : India, Occupation : student, Social class : Middle class, 

Mr. Someone
    Participant
    Mr Doug You are a bigot. Coming from that part of the United States I can understand people there have very low tolerance of other people. Been there many times, and people talk down on me as though I am stupid. You are just a very prejudiced individual. You scream and shout at those people and hurt their feelings because you are selfish and self centered. Now they are probably wondering why white people are so mean and treat them so mean. Thanks doug, you are such a nice person.

User Detail :  

Name : Mr. Someone, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caribbean, Religion : Hindu, Age : 35, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Indian
    Participant
    I think that who wrote this is just an ignorant jack a$$. First of all it's a way of life for many countries. If you haven't traveled the world to see how others live, it's your problem. Not theirs. Don't generalize the whole race by experienes of a few.

User Detail :  

Name : Indian, City : New London, State : CT Country : United States, 

DanY
    Participant
    I've been searching an answer to this kind of question for a long time. I've been in retail business for 6 yrs and in service business for 3 yrs dealing with both low income Indians and higher income Indians. One conclusion is that Indians customers are very fickle. They spend hours searching for thier items, ask for discount, and come back later to return it or exchange it. Total waste of time. There's no way to deal with this kind of people. You will run into an endless arguing. Set a strict store policy and apply it strigently. And say no. they will not come back or harass you anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : DanY, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, City : Anaheim, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.