Why choose homosexuality?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Bruce19293
    Participant
    Homosexuality theoretically could have a genetic component. Two brown-eyed parents can produce blue-eyed children. Remember that there are dominant and recessive genes.

User Detail :  

Name : Bruce19293, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Hartford, State : CT Country : United States, 

Alex
    Participant
    No one chooses homosexuality; no matter how much your religious leaders want the public to believe that, it simply isn't true. Ask any gay or bisexual person and they can tell you in detail how they discovered, not chose, their sexuality. There is also more scientific evidence that sexual orientation is genetic than that it is choice. And why do you suppose that something cannot be genetic just because it interferes with reproduction? A woman can have genes that make her more susceptible to uteral cancer, which could ultimately lead to her infertility. Are you saying that because this woman can no longer have children that there is no way her cancer was caused by a genetic predisposition and that she in fact sinned by choosing the cancer that made her infertile? It is just as ludicrious to make the argument that cancer, anemia, diabetes or any other number of disorders/diseases aren't genetically influenced as to make the one that homosexuality is a choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : PH, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29792
    Participant
    OK, let's say you're right. So homosexuality is not genetic. So what? Humans engage in many activities that aren't genetic and serve no real purpose. An example is basketball. What's your point?

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29792, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

alf
    Participant
    I have been trying to answer this question for myself and my mother for some time now. She can't for the life of her understand why I choose to Act on my attraction to women, although she acknowledges that it's possible to have such 'sinful desires.' Are you asking the same? Never mind, I'll saymy piece anyways. I didn't choose to need emotional and physical intimacy with women. (note other messages!) In my youth I tried all the tricks: I have tried to hide it, tried to deny it, become a workaholic to ignore it, tried dating a few really nice guys. The price I paid in self esteem and confidence, in personal integrity was not worth the results. What a relief to finally say what I really think, and feel, and need. And it's really nice to hear someone else, who has gone through that same struggle, to say the same. It's not nice to hear that if only I chose to try harder, I could be straight, since I've tried plenty hard. I couldn't. I I ever had a choice, it came down whether I would keep lying to myself or to tell myself (and others) the truth. Anyways, would you ever lie to your mother?

User Detail :  

Name : alf, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Age : 27, City : Somerville, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : student/ graphic designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Pam Winkler
    Participant
    Homosexuality can be inherited. From what I remember in my college class, it was typically from the mother's side, the mother would have a gay brother or uncle. This only accounts for male homosexuality, female homosexuality seemed to be a little more complicated.

User Detail :  

Name : Pam Winkler, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Lincoln, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

trev
    Participant
    ' why in the world would a person want to be Gay , i think it's sad. God created Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve so Y b Gay?

User Detail :  

Name : trev, City : Miltonkeynes, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Chris
    OK here's a question: why would anyone choose to live a lifestyle where you are rejected by most of society, one where you are scared being yourself, to be persecuted and attacked for your 'choice'? Wouldn't it easier to be a sheep and be straight like everyone else? The answer: Because homosexual people DON'T choose. Neither do other animals in the animal kingdom where homosexuality is just something that occurs naturally. Unless you concurr that dolphins, monkeys and birds are as intelligent as humans as to make a choice on their sexuality? I'm sick of people who don't think, Michael try using that thing between your ears next time.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Sydney, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sarah M.
    Sorry, Mike, but your argument reads like a badly written GRE logic question (that's the admissions test for grad school). The more research we do on human personality, the more of a genetic component we find in just about everything people do (sense of humor, life satisfaction, irritability, experience of love, sexual orientation, etc.). Check out Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman, M.D. for the latest research on what we can and can't change about ourselves. It's true that certain family dynamics are often present in a GLBT child's family (and the religious right makes a big deal out of these 'patterns'). This still doesn't mean that sexual orientation is a choice. Generally, family relationships lose their formative influence on a child's unconscious behavior, probably including sexuality, at around age 6 or so (read Alfred Adler for more info.). Children carry these unconscious 'scripts' into adolescense and adulthood, but are usually unaware of how this early (and very strong) programming affects their behavior and personality.

Even if you reject the notion that genetics don't play any part in sexual orientation, you still cannot say that a 6-year-old can examine messages and feelings he or she is not even aware of to make a choice about sexual orientation. Even independent of genetics, your 'choice' argument just doesn't hold.

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 27, City : Fort Collins, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : School Counseling Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brittany
    Participant
    I absolutely agree with you. You are absolutely right. Finally a human being with some common sense. I;ve been asking the question myself. There's no way homosexuality is genetic its a choice, a lifestlye as you said. Thats like saying aw this baby is going to be Christian because of genetics no because lifestyle its by choice

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany, Gender : Female, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Patrick Kellogg
    Participant
    As a gay guy, I'd have to say I had a choice: I could come out as a happily 'unified' gay man with the opportunity to find a long lasting realtionship, great sex, a caring partner, the ability to build a home and a life together, and develop good friends in the gay community. Or, I could remain closeted, pretending I was straight, marrying a woman in a loveless relationship, and missing out on thousands of fantastic opportunities. *That* was the real choice, at least for me.

User Detail :  

Name : Patrick Kellogg, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 35, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Self-unemployed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Paul Sanz
    Participant
    It's a toss up really. Do I choose to be truthful to myself and lead a gay Lifestyle. Or, Lie to everyone I know, Probably get married to a woman, have children , who knows maybe 6 kids since I'm already repressed sexually , I'll try to compensate by making babies , then lie to my children and tell my sons that to be a man you have to be with women only, never mind the lieing to them about your real needs and sexual preferences. Go to Church on Sundays Repent for my Lieing ways to lead a week of Mundane jokes about sports and cheerleaders with my coworkers. Till it all comes to a Point of me wanting to have some kind of realness to my life, have sex anonymously with God knows who and probably get HIV then Passing it to my wife. This is what happens to many who choose to live a Life Of lieing to themselves. At least as an Openly Gay Man, I can live a TRUTHFULL LIFE! After a FEW years of Living with anybody you call a spouse. It all boils to the same thing anyway. You get Nagged at For not doing what they want to do Till You do it. Then get nagged for doing it the wrong way ANYWAY ! Bottom Line , I get to be Nagged by someone of myown choice!

User Detail :  

Name : Paul Sanz, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Akron, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.