Why can’t white people kick it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Candy
    Participant
    I've noticed that white people don't have rhythm when it comes to dancing. Is there any explanation for this?

User Detail :  

Name : Candy, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Vail
    Rhthym and 'funky'-ness are two different things you might be confusing. Surely, you know Fred Astaire had rhythm. I play the bass, so I better have rhythm! I've read that Otis Redding couldn't dance, but he did have rhythm. Black folks have always had more rhythmically pronounced music traditions, so picking it up was more natural. I guess white folks are still catching up - don't sweat it if you're one of them, just dance!

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Milly20462
    Participant
    I can dance! I know loads of white people who can, and also a few black people who can't. Maybe white people are a bit less self-conscious, or they just get drunker quicker, and therefore they might get up and dance even if they know they are no good. It's kind of acceptable among my white friends to be rubbish at dancing, as long as you're feeling it. Maybe black people worry that because of the whole black=natural rhythm thing that they'll be seen as comedic if they really can't dance, so they don't bother. I seem to remember a black British comedian doing a sketch on this a while ago.

Everybody should get dancing whether they're good or not, and people should be less judgmental of others' abilities. All that matters is you get your own thrill out of it.

User Detail :  

Name : Milly20462, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

S28512
    Participant
    I can dance! I have been complemented by many black and white girls. I have attended parties where even some black folks sit out and say they can't dance. I think its all about be comfortable with enjoying yourself at a party. i bet you can't do ballroom dances! I have won a few awards, so get your feet on the floor and dance.

User Detail :  

Name : S28512, City : Smith, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Arturo
    Participant
    is that what black people call it? dancing ? looks more like primitive jerks and twists to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Arturo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Secular Humanist, Age : 35, City : Corona, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : janitor, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Leanne
    people who grow up in households where music is an important or at least present part of life have been groovin since childhood. It's possible that the average black household listen to more music with a dance beat than the average white household. I know plenty of people who can or cannot dance because of their exposure to music. Leanne 100% Bi-racial!!

User Detail :  

Name : Leanne, Gender : F, Race : I'm a mutt!!, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : pleasant hill, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bill White
    I've noticed that blacks don't have the intellectual or cultural ability to develop higher-level music or rhythm beyond extremely simple 'beats'. Why is that?

User Detail :  

Name : Bill White, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 27, City : Roanoke, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Land Owner, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Michael
    Participant
    Being able to kick it doesn't have that much to do with race. I grew up in a white middle class family and my parents don't dance unless it's a joke. In high school, the kids I hung out with were not expressive with their body movement. But the truth is, I have good rhythm. On a trip to Cuba, I learned how to dance 'salsa' a few years ago. The instructor got frustrated because he would show me a turn or a step and it would take me forever to get it. That is because Cubans grow up dancing and learn how to watch others' moves and imitate exactly what they are doing. I didn't have that advantage and had to learn a whole new style of learning. Movement is really a language to itself and you need to speak that language to feel comfortable dancing. My wife is Dominican and she loves to dance; Like many dominicans, she is mixed race: african, european, asian and native. Dancing is something that plays a strong part in her culture- even lily white dominicans dance. Those white people you see dancing on TV are not genetic freaks, they have just mastered a language I believe is inherent in all people.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 29, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Occupation : Musician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Scott-M
    Participant
    We become what we've been taught. If something is culturely important,you learn to do it.

User Detail :  

Name : Scott-M, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Vancouver, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Francine25169
    Participant
    People with ancestor's come from colder climes could not dance using the hips because it was too cold and who would see with all of those clothes on. So primarily they would do circle dancing while stomping their feet and twirling, etc. People with ancestors who come from warmer climes use more hip movement, etc. This now is the so called popular dance. Frankly, it's rather disgusting to see little children dancing sexually suggestively. No wonder we have so many kids born out of wedlock and therefore much crime as a result.

User Detail :  

Name : Francine25169, Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 

Steve27861
    Participant
    White people don't dance as well as black people because they aren't expected to. White culture doesn't have a lot of dancing in it unless you are from a country background. Black culture does. If you are white boy growing up you won't feel nearly as inclined to develop a dance rythm and style since it's not really native to your culture.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27861, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

flowsef
    Participant
    word

User Detail :  

Name : flowsef, City : portland, State : OR Country : United States, 

Mike
    Participant
    Scientist have yet to identify the groove gene, but maybe someday... Seriously, I think dancing is not modelled to us at an early age like I assume it is for black children. But I also think we are conditioned to assume white folks can't get their groove on, or look stupid when they do. We might also feel less comfortable with uninhibited a** shaking, which looks good on a dancing body.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : denton, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

n/a
    Participant
    well, a lot of stereo-types have been towards blacks and not many whites but either the fact that white people can't dance is a stereo-type or you just know people that are white and can't dance.

User Detail :  

Name : n/a, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashley
    Participant
    I think it's more the effect of having music traditionally that you either don't dance to (rock, etc.) or it's more formal dancing like slow or something and they're just not used to it, though those who are around it a lot seem to be able to. At the same time I used to have a friend who was black (hung out with mainly whites and didn't listen to rap or r&b) and could not dance. It's more catching the rhythm and not being embarrassed, which a lot of white people are in that type of situation.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Pasco, State : WA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.