Why assumptions about Gays/Chrisrianity/Bible

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    I am a Christian. I am also a lesbian. I have studied the Bible and prayed more diligently about this than any other subject. I meet many other Christians who assume that I am blindly ignoring God's will or refusing to face the 'truth'; yet, they have not done the research I have. I hear a lot of 'God loves/approves of the homosexual, just not the act of gay sex. That sounds dubious to me and contrary to the studies I have done. It seems as if some Christians don't want to study the Bible as a whole and instead wish to hold onto their beliefs, without backing them up Biblically. Why is that?

User Detail :  

Name : Tresha-OConnor32462, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Disability : PTSD/Major Depression/Anxiety, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Irving, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : homemaker/disabled, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Aaron
    Participant
    I would love to discuss this from a Biblical standpoint, how the Bible says it is wrong and why, but the real question is why as a Christian are you willing to debate what I assume you believe God made you? If you are as devout a Christian as you claim to be, why debate who and what you are? If God made you, why justify who you are? I believe homosexuality is wrong, and I can use the Bible to back it up, but is that what it's for? Or is it to make all of our lives better? To keep us in peace, to make us peacemakers on the earth? There are things about you I can justify in the Bible are wrong; you could do the same about me, but we as Christians should not fight and debate with each other; it is Satan we must fight. So I hope I could help.

User Detail :  

Name : Aaron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Palo Alto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lindsey
    Romans 26: For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature. Romans 27: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Leviticus 13: If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

1Corinthians 6:9-10: 'Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.'

Check out christiananswers.net to learn more and hear other people's stories and what the Bible has to say about homosexuality. I searched under homosexuality to answer your question and found many pages you might be interested in reading.

Homosexuality was not intended, because God made man and woman, not man and man, woman and woman,. He didn't make it possible for same-sex couples to reproduce, He made man and woman. If you really love God and want to serve and follow him, you would obey him. Live an amazing life for God and overcome your feelings of homosexuality.

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Bella23330
    Participant
    Here is a verse of the Bible that clearly condemns homosexuality. It's as clear as crystal to me and to most other Christians. It's quoted from the King James translation of the Bible from the Book of Leviticus, chapter 20, verse 13: 'If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.' Now, your lifestyle may not be punishable by death in the United States as it was for the Israelites to whom God gave this law, but I think God's opinion is very clear. If you really want to live the Christian life, homosexual activity has to be stopped. God forgives, and you can begin again. Hopefully there is a church or support group near you that can help you come out of the gay lifestyle.

User Detail :  

Name : Bella23330, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : administrative assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Lindsey
    It's in the bible that homosexuality is wrong and perverse. You're right - God does love homosexuals because He loves everyone, no matter what sexuality they are. But He does not approve of it. If he wanted people to be gay, it wouldn't have been Adam and Eve, it would be Adam and Mark or Eve and Sarah or something. Man and woman were ultimately meant for each other, in romance and in sex. God created us and romance and sex, so why say that you follow Him yet not his commands?

User Detail :  

Name : Lindsey, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 15, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Matt
    Participant
    I think there are two issues: One is the stance many Christians take on homosexuality. There are passages in the Bible such as Romans 1:26 that refer to homosexual actions as sinful. I haven't seen any passages that appear to endorse such actions, despite having read the entire Bible; if you have found any in your research, I'd be interested in hearing what they are. And there are more passages than you can shake a stick at about God's love for people despite their sin - not to mention ones about plenty of other sins for heterosexuals to be involved in. So hopefully that may explain the basis for the position many Christians take on homosexuality.

The second issue - why many seem to hold onto their beliefs and not wanting to study the Bible as a whole - is more likely just attributable to intellectual laziness. There's no shortage of that on any religious issue - or most secular ones, for that matter.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

DC31825
    Participant
    My experience is that the Bible is full of many contradictory messages. Just one example: The Ten Commandments say 'Thou shalt not kill,' but God then instructs the Israelites to slaughter many tribes inhabiting the Holy Land. The Bible can be used to support all sorts of hateful acts, including slavery and genocide - as well as demonization of alternative lifestyles.

User Detail :  

Name : DC31825, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, Occupation : Chemist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jaime
    Participant
    I strive to be a Christian. I read my Bible every day as part of being a Christian. Don't think all Christians are the same. All Christians have different weaknesses, and they do strive to be better. Some may have a weakness in drinking while another may be in gossiping. Christians are not perfect. That is why we go to church and read our Bible; it's to learn and better understand what is right and wrong. Christian means to be 'like Christ' or 'Christ like,' which is something to strive for. We all have our downfalls. You mentioned being gay. The Bible mentions it being a sin. The Bible also mentions that God doesn't hate the sinner ... it's the sin he doesn't like. He loves all kinds of people. When we sin, it doesn't mean He hates us. It means we disobeyed Him and we have to suffer the punishment or consequences. When we sin, we are to ask for forgiveness and then repent, which most of us find harder to do. I can't say if you are deliberately ignoring what God says is wrong. You in your heart and God know that. People may not understand your struggles. I just wanted you to know that there are many Christians who strive to do better and are willing to pray for and help others in need.

User Detail :  

Name : Jaime, City : Somewhere in Arkansas, State : AR Country : United States, 

Kevin26311
    Participant
    In the United States many people consider themselves 'Christian' because they were born into it and it is the cultural norm. My guess is that the people you encounter aren't as serious about their religion as you. Why should they be? Because they belong to the protected majority, they must be right. They don't need to back up their beliefs as long as most people agree with them.

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin26311, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 21, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Librarians' Assistant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jennifer30857
    Participant
    I would be interested in knowing what you have gleaned from your research to suggest something other than the 'God loves/approves of the homosexual, just not the act of gay sex' idea.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer30857, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 31, City : St. Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Non-Profit, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

SamSlick28290
    Participant
    You say you've studied the Bible extensively and that there is condonement of lesbianism by God (in so many words you stated) .I'm afraid you've fallen victim to the devil. That might sound harsh (even judgmental), yet it's true. The devil has got you hood-winked into thinking God will accept your sin, or that lesbianism isn't even a sin. If sin were acceptable to God, then there was no reason for Christ to die on the cross. There is no way you can be truly born-again (if you even claim to be) and practice a gay lifestyle. If a person is born-again, the Holy Spirit lives inside of them and will start to change them from the inside out to be more Christ-like (the meaning of Christian). Homosexuality is condemned by God in the scriptures, Old and New Testament. Jesus said if you love Him, you will keep His commandments, which are reflected in The Word. You're right, one must take the Bible as a whole and pray that God will use His Spirit to enlighten you in your understanding. Christians should want to understand the scriptures the way God intended,not the way that we perceive them. If you are attending a church that supports the way you feel, run.Get involved in a true Christ-loving, Bible-believing church. Never base things on how you feel or what others say, always base things on the Word of God. It's the Truth. I will pray for you and may God bless you and set you free.

User Detail :  

Name : SamSlick28290, City : Dayton, State : OH Country : United States, 

Tina V.
    Participant
    I've been a Christian for 30 years, and so far I've not found anything in the Bible to support homosexual activity. But it's possible I haven't done the extent of research you have. I'd be sincerely interested to learn which Bible passages you found that support your position. Thanks and God bless you.

User Detail :  

Name : Tina V., Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 49, City : Chapel Hill, State : NC Country : United States, 

Mike20599
    Participant
    I see the problem as twofold: 1) The modern Bible is, at best, a very bad translation from the original ancient Greek, Aramaic and Latin texts. For instance, the modern King James version of the Bible (in the New Testament) uses the word 'homosexual' when, in fact, that word did not even come into usage until the 19th century in Germany. The original text (ancient Greek) uses a word that is commonly accepted by the majority if linguists as meaning 'male prostitution' - a common practice in Paul's time (men servicing mainly women). People will accept these inaccurate translations as correct because of their belief that the Bible is the 'word of God' and thus is incapable of containing human error (be the error purposeful or not). 2) Much of what is written in the Bible is taken out of context. For example, Paul's writings in the New Testament are letters to various churches throughout the Middle East. Paul was addressing complex issues specific to the churches to whom he was writing. Without knowing those specific issues, trying to understand what Paul is saying is only viewing one side of the story. This is also true with the Old Testament. Take what the Old Testament says about marriage - that wives must be subject to their husbands. Marriage in the Old Testament times was not a matter of choice for the woman - the choice of husband was made by the woman's father, and men often had multiple wives. Thus, if you try to apply what the Old Testament says about marriage without knowing what marriage meant in those times, you are taking the message out of context.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20599, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 41, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kayla
    The reason some people may not want to back up their opinions with Biblical scripture is that they have not come across the scriptures yet, at least not the exact ones. Read these verses: Leviticus18:22,29, Romans1:26-27. Here you can clearly see that God only approves of heterosexual relationships. Yes God loves you, but as you said he hates what you do, so why do something that God hates? Obedience is better than sacrifice. Now that you know, you are held accountable. God Bless.

User Detail :  

Name : Kayla, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Disability : Blind, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Native American, Age : 18, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Megan20745
    Participant
    I, too, am a Christian and have severed some of my ties with my church, but not God, because of this very subject. Anyone who claims to have a knowledge monopoly of any kind is blind to his or her own imperfection. God does love and accept all of his creation. Anyone who has the 'answers' to what lies in God's heart is underestimating his coolness (sorry for lack of a better word) and putting human limitations on a higher being.

User Detail :  

Name : Megan20745, Gender : F, City : Dubuque, State : IA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.