Why aren’t religions fair to gays?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Michael20692
    Participant
    My hypothesis goes as follows: having been written in a time long before much was known of human physiology and brain structure, religions developed with shades of misogyny, homophobia, xenophobia, and the inferiority of left-handed people. Similar things are found in languages: left and right, respectively, are: Latin -- sinister, dexter; French -- gauche (also 'awkward), adroit (also 'skillful, cunning'); English left (from Old English, lyft-, 'weak, useless,'), right (from Old English, riht; no alternate meaning given). There's also the fiasco with women = wo + men, female = fe + male.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20692, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Amanad
    Participant
    Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand why a Jewish Messiah would come to nullify the Torah. If you have any insight, please explain.

User Detail :  

Name : Amanad, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Hebrew Roots, Age : 20, City : Brandon, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Dominic Daddato
    Participant
    Romans 1:27, Romans 1:32, in the new testiment says those who are homosexual are worthy of death. That is what God says and will Himself do.

User Detail :  

Name : Dominic Daddato, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 63, City : Post Falls, State : ID Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

George
    As far as I know, the Buddhist 'bible', the Tipitaka, does not have anything specific to say about gay sensuality or gay householders among non-ordained people. In general, Buddhism appears to say that culturally-acceptable sexuality is not wrong--but of course it's not 'right' either, in the sense that any kind of sensuality does not further one's development. I recall reading an interview with the Dalai Lama some years ago where he was asked about homosexuality. He first indicated that it was 'wrong' but then immediately reconsidered and, correcting himself, declared that it was not wrong. Of course, there are many cultural taboos around homosexuality which are confounded with what the Buddha actually taught. So if you find yourself in a Buddhist culture that looks upon homosexuality as wrong, then openly flaunting your orientation would upset people, and that act of intentionally upsetting people would be considered unskillful, or 'wrong'. In the Buddhist monastic code, the 'Vinaya', a man having sex (male penetration into any orifice, presumably of either gender) is considered 'defeated', implying that the penetrator should be summarily dismissed. In fact, any act of sexual nature between an ordained man and any woman is grounds for dismissal. However, it appears that non-penetrating sexual acts between two ordained men consitute a lesser offense. I found that quite amusing.

User Detail :  

Name : George, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 54, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Evaluation researcher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

G-Eskue
    Participant
    I have always felt that religions are about fitting into a role in a community.There is a great deal of gender control in religions, almost all define separate roles for men and women. It is easier for straight men and women than gays to hide their so-called sins so they can fit into these role-playing environments.

User Detail :  

Name : G-Eskue, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristy
    Participant
    The path to God is through your own heart. What you believe is ultimately up to you. I believe what most religions say across the board.... Do unto others as you would have done unto you. If you treat others with no respect, then you get none. If you bash someone because of their beliefs, should the same not be done to you? I was raised loosely Catholic with some Baptist, Methodist, and a large selection of various Christianity thrown in for good measure. Rules are guidelines and should be taken as such. I cannot stand to see someone on their soap box and saying this is wrong as they themselves are morally corrupt. I, myself, live by one rule. The Golden Rule. If I stay true to myself and remain morally sound I know that regardless of Heaven or Hell, I will be respected by others as a sound human being. When you think about it, that's what it all boils down to. Trying to be the best person you can be, to help those less fortunate, to be the better person. If your better person is being in a gay relationship, so be it. Who am I to judge? Judge not... right?

User Detail :  

Name : Kristy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 26, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lani
    Participant
    Many people are judged negatively by the church. The church gains power by telling people how to live their lives. In the past, you coulden't live together without being married, you coulden't have children out of wedlock, you coulden't do thousands of things that are considered okay now. This isn't because these things have become over time more 'right', it's because they've become more socially necessary. The majority of people following these religions are not gay. Many do eat meat, they do have sex before marriage. But if enough people want the church's ideals to change, they have to, or else they will loose their congregations. So they concentrate on the things that minorities do or are, like being gay.

User Detail :  

Name : Lani, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Hal
    Participant
    I can't say that my religion has ever had a problem with same sex. It's just not a big deal. I think you will find that religions that do not recognise a equality of the sexes have more of a problem than one that recognises only one as a ruling force. For example tell a room of Rugby/Football players that you are gay, you will get a different response to that of say, a roof full of Dancers!

User Detail :  

Name : Hal, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 35, City : New Zealand, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Surfer, Social class : Upper class, 

JaredW.
    People take such great attention to those parts because they can actually come up with an enemy for them. I seriously believe that most people feel that they are achieving more when they criticize those that don't fit their perspective. Just because you judge, speak out, attack or whatever against a particular group, doesn't make you a better member of your own group. Applies to many situations, not just religion. People do whatever they can to take attention away from themselves and focus on others negative

User Detail :  

Name : JaredW., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 26, City : Robesonia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Cook, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.