Why are there bisexuals and homosexuals?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

L Lucas
    To understand this, first realize that gay, lesbian, and bisexual people are just like everyone else in that we are all different. There are common themes like you have pointed out, and I will try to explain my point of view. There is what is known as the Kinsey Scale (I'm not sure about the spelling) that explains a wide range of sexual orientations and preferences, not just gay or straight, or even bi. It's more fluid, because there are people who identify as gay but still enjoy sexual relationships with women as well as men. For many bisexuals, they truly have no real preference. Maybe because they just like sex...and will get it from anywhere they can. But from personal experience, it is about loving a person, not a sex or sexuality. When someone has the qualities that one finds desireable, be it man or woman, one will want to form a bond with that person. Furthermore, if someone identifies as gay or lesbian...it doesn't mean that they can't or don't find someone of the opposite sex attractive. As for the cross-dresser/Mr. Universe (aka butch-femme) debate...that is more about who each person is individually. For some people dressing or acting or being the opposite sex is a statement, or it makes them feel more connected to an inner self. Those who choose to have a sex change feel that they are a woman in a man's body or vice versa. Frankly, it sorta pisses me off when a drag queen has sexier legs than I do (just joking)!

User Detail :  

Name : L Lucas, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jack-P
    Participant
    What is the difference between a bisexual and a homosexual (who doesn't find women attractive)? And why are some homosexuals or bisexuals cross-dressers, while some are Mr. Universe contestants?

User Detail :  

Name : Jack-P, Gender : M, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Ed
    Participant
    Firstly, homosexuals don't necessarily consider women unatractive, the same that a man wouldn't think that just being a man is not 'good looking'. The real difference between, not just bisexuals and homosexuals but heterosexuals as well, is simply choice! I do not believe in those who state that they 'have no choice', or were 'born this way'. We all have the same abilty to choose who we 'sleep' together. Two men can be friends all their lives and not be considered homosexuals. Sleeping with a person of any gender doesn't make you a man or woman, how you treat that person or show your love to people in general tells others of what kind of person you are. I don't believe that just because there are male nurse that all of them are bisexual or homosexual, likewise for any profession. I hope that I have helped in some way.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Murray C.
    Participant
    First of all, I don't think that homosexuals don't find women unattractive, they just find men MORE attractive. As for your second question, I think the reason why some homo/bisexuals cross-dress and others don't is simply a matter of preference. It might be like asking some straight men 'why do some men like hockey and others like chess?' I'm sure there are some scientists who could get right down to the genetics of it too.

User Detail :  

Name : Murray C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Halifax, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Draftsman, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mateo
    Participant
    Homosexual - is sexually attracted to only members of their own sex Bisexual - is sexually attracted to both males and females (alot of people find this hard to believe, because people like things in black or white with no gray area in the middle...) Many bisexuals say that they arent specifically looking for a member of a specific sex, but that they are more attracted to the person rather than the sex of the person... As for your second question, not every person is the same... The same goes for heterosexuals...Why are some straight guys scrawny wimps while others are mr. universe types? You can't catagorize people like that...

User Detail :  

Name : Mateo, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Josh29141
    Participant
    Here's the scoop... Bisexual people find themselves sexually and/or emotionally attracted to people of both genders. Homosexual people find themselves sexually and/or emotionally attracted to people of their same sex only. Being homosexual doesn't automatically mean that one finds people of the opposite sex unattractive, it just means that one does not have the desire to sleep with someone of the opposite sex... Why are some straight men crossdressers, just as some gay and bisexual men are? Why do some people like Michael Bolton music? ...preference. ..or would someone like to disagree?

User Detail :  

Name : Josh29141, Gender : M, Age : 22, City : Guelph, State : NA Country : Canada, 

A.R.
    Participant
    The difference between them is that a homosexual is most attracted to, emotionally and physically, to their own sex. Bisexuals are open to relationships with both sexes. A true cross-dresser is a Transvestite, which is a totally different thing. People who 'do drag' just do it for fun...like a costume. It doesn't rule their life. I don't understand your comment about Mr. Universe. I've never met anyone who's been a contestant for this and anyone I know would laugh about it. The same as Miss America.

User Detail :  

Name : A.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 30, City : Astoria, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Actor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I believe you are referring particularly to male homosexuals and bisexuals, since you add the notation 'not attracted to women.' However, each term has a definition that stretches across the gender lines; homosexual is a person who is attracted to their own sex, while bisexual is a person who is attracted to both sexes (hey, it increases your chance for a date on a Friday night!). As far as the cross-dressing vs. Mr. Universe goes: that has little to do with sexuality. It's a matter of personal preference - just like you probably have heterosexual friends who prefer wearing khakis and others who prefer jeans. Some work out, some paint. Some bowl, others do not.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan B,
    I think you've already answered your own question with regard to the difference between a homosexual male and a bisexual male, but I'll break it down for you: A bisexual male may prefer to have sex with a man or a woman, where a homosexual male prefers to have sex with men. To your second question: Why are some people born with red hair and others with brown hair; why are some people born with blue eyes and others with brown eyes? Every person on this planet is an individual with different traits, needs, and desires.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan B,, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 31, City : Hayward, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ed25573
    Participant
    The real difference between not just bisexuals and homosexuals but heterosexuals as well is simply choice. I do not believe those who state they 'have no choice' or were 'born this way.' We all have the ability to choose who we sleep with. Two men can be friends all their lives and not be considered homosexuals. Sleeping with a person of any gender doesn't make you straight or gay; how you treat that person or show your love to people in general tells others what kind of person you are. I don't believe that just because there are male nurses that all of them are bisexual or homosexual, likewise for any profession.

User Detail :  

Name : Ed25573, Gender : M, Age : 32, City : Mooresville, State : NC Country : United States, 

A.R.
    Participant
    A bisexual is more open to feelings developing for either sex. A homosexual is more attracted to their own sex. There are many studies to prove people are born with a predisposition to homosexuality. I don't know as much about bisexuality. As far as cross-dressing...there is a difference between putting on drag and being a transvestite. You can be heterosexual and be a transvestite. Putting on drag is usually done for fun. I don't know why people would compete for Mr. Universe...but then, I don't understand women who compete for Miss America or that kind of thing. I don't think it has anything to do with being straight or gay.

User Detail :  

Name : A.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 30, City : Astoria, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Actor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Erika
    Participant
    I think it is interesting that your question only refered to male homosexuals and bisexuals, as if there weren't females who are homosexual or bisexual. Anyway, I think you already answered your question about what the difference is between homosexuals and bisexuals, homosexuals are not attracted at all to the opposite sex, bisexuals are attracted to both sexes. Many people believe that there is a spectrum that goes from 100% homosexual to 100% heterosexual and that most people fall somewhere in between. Many people who have never had a relationship with the same sex have felt some emotional and/or physical attraction to the same sex at sometime in their life and those people COULD be labeled bisexual. If our society were not so negative and violent toward gay people perhaps more people would be able to identify their mild to strong attraction for the same sex. I think your confusion around cross-dressing males could be cleared up by understanding the difference between sexual preference and gender identity. Sexual preference (whether you choose to date the same sex or the opposite sex) is not necessarily related to or the same as gender behavior such as cross dressing. Actually, 'transgendered' people are people who prefer to behave more like the stereotypes of the opposite gender, like, for males, wearing dresses and makeup. Many children who are accused of being sissies or tomboys are forced back into their anatomical gender behaviors. These ideas are confusing because it is hard to put oneself into a category like bisexual, transgendered, or whatever. Many women dress in male clothes but there is a lot less pressure for us to conform to gender norms so we don't get pressured to identify ourselves as transgendered.

User Detail :  

Name : Erika, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 25, City : Portland, State : ME Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Greg
    While it's true that anybody has a choice on who they sleep with, it's not the matter. The matter of this issue is that we (gay & lesbians) do not have choice in who we are attracted to, and we do not choose to be attracted to the same sex. Think about this, if being homosexual or lesbian was a choice, why would we choose such a stressful lifestyle?

User Detail :  

Name : Greg, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : Dagsboro, State : DE Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Technician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

hey!
    Bisexuals are people that enjoy both men and women. And a Homosexual is when a man only likes men and a women only likes other women.

User Detail :  

Name : hey!, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 16, City : hollywood, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Hope
    It doesn't matter if people are born gay or choose to be gay; it's ok to be gay ... or lesbian, or straight, or bisexual, or transgendered... etc., etc., etc. As for the gay vs. bi question... Many people belive that bisexuals are just gays who haven't come to terms with their sexuality yet. In some ways, that is true - many gays do the 'bi now, gay later' plan (that is to say, spend a period of time being self-identified as 'bi' before becoming self-identified as 'gay' - use bisexuality as a transitional period), but it's also true that there are plenty of people who are just plain bi. The Kinsey Scale rated sexuality from 0 to 6, with 0 being completely straight and 6 being completely gay, and what they found was that most people fell somewhere in between. Whether that means basically straight but had a lesbian fling in college, or basically gay but slept with a girl before they came out, in the end, it really just comes down to how you label yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Hope, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Religion : Jewish, Age : 38, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.