Why are Christians obsessed with converting others

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I'm Jewish. Jews don't seek converts. Why do so many Christian sects actively proselytize? I find it offensive and disrespectful. It presumes your religion is better than mine. Jews feel that there are many paths to God. Why can't those Christians just live and let live as long as I'm not bothering them? Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    I'll ignore for the moment the totally obnoxious conversion attempts Jews have made on me, and just point out that the Christian Bible preaches a doctrine of proselytizing. I agree it's disrespectful. It's rude for anyone of any faith to try to shove their belief system down anyone else's throat. The better question might be why can't people of all faiths respect that atheists are making their own choices and if hell awaits, so be it?

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

JoshL
    Participant
    It's part of Christian duty to witness and attempt to convert. To not do so would be... well, not exactly a sin, but "slacking off" so to speak, sort of like never giving offering. For a good Christian to meet a Jewish person like yourself and not even witness is seen as the same as seeing a person lying on the road and not offering help. It is disrespectful to your religion, yes, but they are not (consciously) doing it to be disrespectful. -an ex-Christian

User Detail :  

Name : JoshL, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : asexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

JoshL
    Participant
    It's part of Christian duty to witness and attempt to convert. To not do so would be... well, not exactly a sin, but "slacking off" so to speak, sort of like never giving offering. For a good Christian to meet a Jewish person like yourself and not even witness is seen as the same as seeing a person lying on the road and not offering help. It is disrespectful to your religion, yes, but they are not (consciously) doing it to be disrespectful. -an ex-Christian

User Detail :  

Name : JoshL, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : asexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 21, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.