Who could NOT know about Sept. 11?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Augustine23533
    Participant
    Is it possible that someone in the United States (other than someone living in a cloistered religious community or someone with severe mental deficiencies) could not know about the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11? I ask this because, believe it or not, I encountered two people, both Americans, on the Internet who had absolutely no clue as to what was going on when the FBI returned Elian Gonzalez to his father. One of them had seen the famous 'closet' picture and asked me who this child was and what this was all about! Are there people who are so 'angular' and focused on one task or thing in life - don't read news, don't watch TV, don't talk to people - that they would be ignorant of Sept. 11?

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23533, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29756
    Participant
    There are people who live alone in wilderness areas without TV, radio, newspapers, etc., and with little human contact. So it is possible there are Americans who do not know about the attacks yet. It is highly unlikely you will run into any of them, though.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29756, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Christina
    Of course we know what happened Sept. 11. Everyone knows. The difference between this and the other issue is the media pay a lot more attention to terrorist attacks. Honestly, in your country, you probobly got more news coverage about Elian Gonzalez than we did. The news is not the only channel we get; we get hundreds of channels, and believe it or not, as uneducated as it may be, unless our TV program is interrupted by something like a terrorist attack, we really have no idea if something is taking place unless we watch the news.

User Detail :  

Name : Christina, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, 

Augustine23539
    Participant
    To Christina in Nashville: you and I are both in the United States. I think you must have inferred that I live in Colombia, the country in South America (spelled slightly differently). I just wondered if there could be people who have access to media but don't take advantage of it because they are too busy doing something (developing new computer programs, preparing for crucial career examinations, etc.) that occupies their entire attention 24/7. It is hard to imagine how they could make an occasional trip to the grocery store (even the most 'angular' person must eat, after all) and miss what's going on, but I suppose it's possible if they have extreme 'tunnel vision'. Hope this clarifies things.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23539, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 41, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James
    While it would be hard to believe someone wouldn't know of 9/11, I have several friends who would have no idea what you mean by 'closet' picture'. They are people who are very involved in their careers and personal lives. Two are involved in a music ministry to teenage girls and focus so many hours on it that when they sit down at the end of the day, they never read the paper or watch the news, they watch a movie (while organizing a newsletter to their fans, etc.) Another spends all day working with teenage mothers, then comes home at night and goes to visit some of her elderly neighbors or heads out to play frisbee with friends. They are great people and involved in their community, they just don't watch the news or read the paper. In fact, some times they admit to relying on me to inform them of news that might affect them.

User Detail :  

Name : James, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Wheaton, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

pete
    Participant
    ...yes, unfortunately there are people who live here and dont know a thing about whats going on in our country...and even more unfortunately (or fortunately for the republicans)...they all voted for bush...

User Detail :  

Name : pete, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Native American, Age : 50, City : Parshall, State : ND Country : United States, Occupation : communications, Education level : High School Diploma, 

I Palacios
    There is a new book called Crossing the Rubicon.

User Detail :  

Name : I Palacios, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jummy29231
    Participant
    i think that's a long shot.in a nation of almost 300 million people i suppose the odds would have it that there's at least one guy who's lived in a shack in the ozarks since the 70's, but i bet he's even gotten the news somehow. elian gonzalez is a different case. it's a shame they returned that poor child to a despotic kleptocracy.

User Detail :  

Name : jummy29231, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

chibi
    Participant
    okay, how old were these people? because, come on, if you were too young to know about things, what do you expect? that was when i was in high school, if i recall, and many people you find online are now in middle school or high school themselves. my 8th grade students are old enough to remember about 9/11, but i seriously doubt they would know anything about elian. but also...it's apples and oranges. 9/11 was a much bigger event, covered worldwide. i think it's more likely anyone would know about 9/11 than elian gonzalez.

User Detail :  

Name : chibi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Hispanic, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 28, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.