White, or Other?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

K.J.
    I know people from European countries like London and France classify themselves as white, but how do people from places like Greece and Albania classify themselves? My friend, who is Albanian, doesn't like being called white, which leads me to my second question: Is being called white a bad thing? My Italian friend doesn't like being referred to as white, either.

User Detail :  

Name : K.J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black West Indian/American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : High School Student, Social class : Middle class, 

M-Kemper22537
    Participant
    As an American descended from a diverse mixture of people (including Native American, Dutch, Scottish, Irish, and English), I can say that I am uncomfortable being labeled anything. I look 'white', but I relate strongly with my Native American ancestors. What does this make me? When I fill out forms which ask for race/ethnicity, I tend to check the 'Caucasian' box for convenience sake. However, Caucasian is not even accurate since the word derives from a range of mountains in the southern part of Russia. I cannot claim 'Native American' because my ancestery is too mixed for that to be accurate. I personally would like the practice of labeling according to race/ethnicity to stop. I will always hold to my ancestery with a great deal of pride and will pass this pride onto my children. However, when it comes to dealing with other people a 'label' should be the last thing I think of, not the first.

User Detail :  

Name : M-Kemper22537, Gender : F, Race : Caucasian(?), Age : 30, City : Temple Terrace, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.