White girls pushing their hair behind ears

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Fred-C28742
    Participant
    I notice that white women are always taking their hair and pushing it behind their ears. Is there a reason for them to do so?

User Detail :  

Name : Fred-C28742, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

David-A28744
    Participant
    I'm black and I've wondered the same damn thing. I think there's two reasons: a) they think they're cute and b) I think it's a nervous habit. A few black women do it but it's usually white women who do it. Those are just my 'theories' but I have NO idea. I'm glad someone else wondered about that besides me.

User Detail :  

Name : David-A28744, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Woodbridge, State : NJ Country : United States, 

Louise G
    Participant
    I'm a white woman and I push my hair behind my ears. Depends on the hairstyle, of course. My hair is fine and falls forward, obstructing my vision when I look down. If I'm teaching a class, gardening, etc, I push it behind my ears to get it out of the way. It's also cooler on a hot day. It could also be a nervous habit with some people. Teenagers are often self-conscious, so they might be more likely to do this as a nervous habit.

User Detail :  

Name : Louise G, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 54, City : Salem, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Language Instructor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kelly28751
    Participant
    It's usually because it's in the WAY. I would be considered white and I have thick, coarse hair that will never stay put on its own. 'white' hair generally doesn't, perhaps unless it's really curly. but my hair is past my shoulders and falls all over the place unless i put it back with something. So yes, sometimes I push it behind my ears because it's IN MY FACE and driving me nuts. Sorry to disappoint, it's got nothing to do with trying to get a guy's attention.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly28751, Gender : F, Race : italian/mexican/german/irish, Age : 28, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Emma28785
    Participant
    I'm a white female, and I notice that I am always tucking my hair behind my ears. I'm pretty sure it's just because it's fine and won't stay in one place (out of my eyes and face in general).

User Detail :  

Name : Emma28785, Gender : F, Age : 22, City : Flint, State : MI Country : United States, 

Julie
    Participant
    David: that's a cute thought but completely incorrect. The only reason we tuck our hair behind our ears is that it's not as stiff as black people's and doesn't stay in place. It falls down into our face and eyes and we can't see; also it's uncomfortable and hot when it sits on our neck so we just tuck it back to get out of the way.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Akron, State : OH Country : United States, 

Lizzie28813
    Participant
    It's such a nervous habit for me. My hair is very long, and when I get upset or nervous, I tug at it, mess with it, pull it up, take it down, push it behind my ears. I've actually started to wear my hair tied back because it's such a bad habit with me. But when I'm tense, it gives my hands something to do.

User Detail :  

Name : Lizzie28813, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Anita
    Participant
    I think it's as simple as the different texture quality between black and white hair. Most black's hair is fairly thick and it doesn't move very much, whereas white's hair is usually thin and 'flowy' for lack of a different word. Black's hair stays pretty much in one place, and white's flop about. Mine constantly falls in my face and, even though I don't care for how it looks on me, I find myself tucking it behind my ears (most of the time I don't even know I've done it!). Otherwise, I agree with the other writer that it's a nervous habit on some girls and young women.

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

AmyM
    Participant
    I do it when my hair's not pulled back (it usually is) because otherwise it tends to fall in my face and I can't see. I suspect it's mostly white women who do this because our hair is usually of a somewhat different texture from even straightened black hair. Also, teenage girls often do it either as a nervous habit or because they think it's sexy. Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle." -Plato

User Detail :  

Name : AmyM, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dina M.
    Participant
    it is a bit of a habit. but pften times your hair falls on your faceor the wind blows it every which way.

User Detail :  

Name : Dina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : unsure, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Poet, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Kirstine
    I'm a white woman with Scandinavian kind of very fine hair. If I don't put it behind my ears it just hangs there and my ears (which are not very big so that's not the problem) easily stick out of the hair, which looks rather stupid! That's why I prefer to have it behind my ears. African hair is thicker and hence African or African-American women don't have the same problem.

User Detail :  

Name : Kirstine, City : NA, State : NA Country : Denmark, 

Dot
    Participant
    White women are force fed a steady diet of "you're not good enough". Not thin enough, boobs too small, hit the tanning bed, etc. Why is a big brown or black woman beautiful when the same size white chick is "fat". Most white women DO NOT think they're cute. They are the most insecure group of individuals on the planet. There's a reason minority girls rarely suffer eating disorders and white girls hate themselves if they're bigger than a size 2.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.