Where are the Hebrews?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dan
    Participant
    I like to study the Old Testament/Torah quite a bit, and it seems that the Israelites of old were a distinct ethnic group known as Hebrews. They were set well apart from neighboring Egyptians, Canaanites, Amorites and various other "-ites." Now I recognize that Jewish people come in all colors, from Sephardic (Spanish/Latino) to Ethiopian (African) to Ashkenazic (German/European). Even modern-day Israel is made up of a variety of ethnic/racial groups. My question is, are there any Hebrews left? Anyone who is just like the ancient Israelites in physicality? Or have the Hebrews intermarried to the point that they no longer exist as a distinct "race?"

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : na, Race : Chicano, Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles area, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    In the bible it talks about the scattering of the 12 tribes of Isreal (Ephriam, Mannasah, Levi, etc.) When the tribes where scattered, the went to many different locations around the world. Eventually, my Jewish ancestors ended up in Poland. I guess that there are probably a few 'pure' Hebrews, but where I have no idea.

User Detail :  

Name : craig janis, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 15, City : chula vista, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : high school student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bill
    I noticed that you only identified 3 groups of Israelites. There were over 3 million Hebrews at the time of the Exodus and not all of them traveled into Canaan. Over 2/3 of Hebrews inter-married with Egyptians or migrated across the Sahara into Western Africa. The largest kingdom to ever exist in Africa (greater than Egypt), the Kingdom of Mali was predominant with Hebrews. They converted to Islam for reasons of commerce and/or fear during the Jihad and slave trade. There are many African-Americans that are descendents of the Hebrews due to the slave trade. If you didn't convert - you were sold. Yet in Africa, there are tribes that exist to this day (the Ashante for example). Funny though, the Hebrews of African origin, that have gone back to Israel, and have been told by Jews that migrated into Israel from the north, that they would have to convert to Judaism before they may have citizenship. It's a culture not a religion.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill, Race : X, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Andres
    Participant
    Learning about the history of the Jewish Disapora will help you understand what happened to the Hebrews. As for your question, what people are 'just like' their ancient ancestors? That said, Hebrew ansectory is said to be predominant amoung Oriental Jews (those of the Middle East and Northern Africa). If you are interested in learning more about Middle Eastern Jews in modern times peep these links below. They concern an Iraqi Jewish professor who says her ansectors have been in Iraq since the Babylonian captivity. http://www.ivri-nasawi.org/arabjew.html http://www.washington-report.org/backissues/0995/9509076.htm

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.