What’s the big deal about Reagan?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Emma
    Participant
    I was very young when Ronald Reagan was president of the U.S.. I recall the oil bust and going from an upper middle class family to barely making ends meet. I remember having a budget even when we hit garage sales for our clothing. It was a miserable, painful time for my family. My question is this: why does everyone think he was such a great president? He must have done some great things, but I was too young to know about them. Please help educate me.

User Detail :  

Name : Emma, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

DaneR
    Participant
    This could be because most of what a President "does" doesn't take effect until after he leaves office, during the term of the next President. While there are a few things they President can directly cause to happen, there are far more things that require the approval or consent of Congress and/or the Supreme Court. The President cannot even propose a bill to the legislature he can support a bill a ask for support from the Congressmen and women but he cannot force it to go through the only time a President has control over a bill or law is after both houses pass it and he can sign it or veto it but he can write a few things in and Congress will have to approve those before it is official. I'm not too familiar with what Reagan did while in office but maybe people think he was a great Presid

User Detail :  

Name : DaneR, Age : 19, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

DannyH
    Participant
    Because that economic situation was created by Cater. Reagan's policies changed that, and created the greatest economic boom this country has ever seen. However, it took time for those policies to have an effect. Just like in four years someone else will inherit the mess B0 is creating. Life's a banquet and most poor bastards are starving to death!

User Detail :  

Name : DannyH, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Asatru, Age : 45, City : Buon, State : NA Country : South Korea, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Reagan DID inherit from Carter the debt Kennedy and Johnson ran up funding the Vietnam War, HOWEVER... Reagan's great boom era was financed by borrowing us into the hole. Most independent thinkers (i.e. not members of either of the major political parties in the U.S.), are now more realistic about the Reagan years. Reagan set into motion the undermining of banking regulations that landed us where we are now. And Clinton helped the process along. No president is perfect and party politics have destroyed the country.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.