What is the world’s opinion of America?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

RobertD
    (First off I would like to just throw up this little disclaimer saying that I am not here to spout off a fountian of patritoism. I Just want to know what some people think of America.) Recently I have been watching some movies from Europe. Both of these movies were made by people from Britian, a country I beleived America got along with. The comments that were in this film were, but not limited to, "Yankee Cunts," "Fucking Yanks," and to a family of morbidly obese people wearing NY Yankees hats "A pack of fucking elephants." I know America is not the most popular country but I thought our relations with Europe were somewhat decent. Anyways, what I am trying to ask is what do you think of when you think "America." Please be brutally honest, espically if you are from another country

User Detail :  

Name : RobertD, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, 

Dot
    Participant
    I'm sure you were asking foreign nationals your question but as an American who has lived and traveled abroad... Have you SEEN the way some Americans behave while on vacation? It's embarrassing. They're loud, they are fat and do dress badly. They complain about everything and expect special treatment. Sadly, WE have created this perception that we're morons. Our foreign policy that preaches a doctrine of "American Exceptionalism" hasn't helped.

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

RobertD
    I do agree with that. I try to be respectful when I go out of the country, however I am guilty of disrespect also. I am just asking Non-Americans what they individually think. "Drugs are funny. We fought a war for our freedom and another for slavery. Then what do people do with their freedom? Become slaves..." -Sgt of Banton

User Detail :  

Name : RobertD, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, 

DavidW
    Participant
    I like Americans. I haven't met all 300 million of you but I generally have a positive view of the US. I have visted the US and enjoyed my time there. I think, like me, most New Zealanders see that they have things in common with Americans (former British colonies, diverse ethnicities, English speaking, democracy, military allies). I think we secretly admire the fact that Americans are often outspoken. The only negative perceptions would be that some Americans know little about the rest of the world and that fundamentalist religion plays a significant role in US society and politics.

User Detail :  

Name : DavidW, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 39, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : General Manager, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

SD
    Have you SEEN the way foreigners act here in America while on vacation? It's embarassing too. People coming to our beaches without shaving ANYTHING - who wants to see that? They don't tip the men and women who serve them. They often have horrible B.O. because in their countries, they often don't bathe daily. I am very pround to be an American citizen. These countries often forget that without our military and financial aid, they'd be up a creek. If they don't like it here, let 'em stay home.

User Detail :  

Name : SD, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 38, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.