What does ‘class’ mean?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Patricia F.
    Participant
    I wonder what the word 'class' means to others. Is it a reference to the level of one's wealth (or LACK thereof)? Does it refer to the friends one has or the parties one attends? Is it a comment on one's level of education or his vocabulary? Does it have to do with one's behavior? My perception is that there are some very 'low class' people who have a great deal of money and some very 'classy' poor people. I guess I must make such judgments based on behavior that I find either unpleasant or admirable. When I was visiting England, I was surprised by the constant references to 'class,' and I was foolish enough to believe that such consciousness didn't exist in the US. However, as I read the postings on this site, I realize that at least SOME people in the States are every bit as sensitive to it as the Brits seemed to be. Are there really people who would label themselves as 'lower class'? And if so, what do they mean by that?

User Detail :  

Name : Patricia F., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 57, City : Louisville, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.