Too darn busy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

S. Burns
    I am a 32-year-old female with two children. I always see people rushing here and there trying to get everything done that they have to do, but you rarely see people taking the time to stop and take time for their families or even just stop to relax. I have this problem. I am very busy and always feel too tired to do things with my children. By the time the weekend gets here, I don't want to do anything but sleep. If anyone can explain why people do this I would appreciate it.

User Detail :  

Name : S. Burns, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Porterville, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : waitress/student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Floyd
    Unfortunately, it's the time we're in. Get everything done as quickly as possible, get where you can as fast as you can. The result is that the fast-paced work life we are used to has over the years slowly creeped into our home lives - and slowly made home life more like work.

User Detail :  

Name : Floyd, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 24, City : Sterling Heights, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Sys Admin, Social class : Middle class, 

Mamageph
    Participant
    I don't understand it, either. Given, I'm a stay-at-home, not a waitress/student (though I was, at one point), but I think it has less to do with your occupation and more to do with your mindset or personality. I'm the original slacker: I relish time to just sit and think or read. I don't say yes to tons of activities. On the other hand, some people function better when their plate is full. If you aren't happy being so busy and want more time with you kiddos or yourself, start cutting out the stuff you don't need or enjoy.

User Detail :  

Name : Mamageph, Gender : F, Age : 27, City : Smokey Point, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Mama, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Lucy-H22658
    Participant
    It all depernds on how you set your priorities in your life. Many people work way too many hours a week at the expense of themselves and their families because they make career advancement their first priority. Others are single parents and have to support the family as well as take care of the house and everything else. Some people get involved in way too many projects that should be enjoyable, but they don't have time for everything and get burnt out. The situations are different, but the result is the same. There is never enough time to get to everything in their lives that needs to get done. By making family time or personal time a priority, people can begin to reclaim their lives.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22658, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

annonymous
    Participant
    There are a multitude of reasons why we rush as we do. You do not indicate whether you are married or single. If you are a single parent like me, perhaps you can identify with my situation. I am 35. I work full-time, attend school when I can and have several interests of my own beyond the interests of my children. But parenthood isn't the only variable. Clinically speaking, I am manic, which means an individual who is in constant crisis. Obviously, crisis can easily be brought on by overextending oneself. In my own case it is easy to see how the coupling of single parenting and mania spells BUSY in all caps. However, there is hope. Having taken the time to seek professional help, I have learned to take on fewer activities. I make personal time a priority, and I've learned to simply sit and watch my four-year-old play. For me, it has been a long-term commitment (it has taken me almost eight years on a conscious spiritual path and counseling) to wanting a better quality of life. Fortunately, I am not a workaholic. I am, though, an artist. Now, I define and accept my responsibilities. I set emotional and mental boundaries for myself and others with whom I interact. The positive changes I've made in my personal life mean that I am more sane. Not only does my family benefit, but I am free to pursue my own passions.

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

RobinW
    I think it has more to do with what is expected of us, and how quickly things can be done. I'm an illustrator. When I first started to work in this field in 1983 there were days of breathing time built in as sketches and things were mailed back and forth. Then came overnight mail, and there was less time. Then faxes, and there was even less. Then working on the computer, and there was even less! People expect their machines to work quickly, and I've noticed that they expect the people to work just as fast. Everything is speeding up. And, since the things we are doing are far more complex than what the computers are doing (they are just manipulating lots of ones and zeros; we are actually correlating ideas, images, and other intangible things) and we are organic and need things like food and sleep, it's just not working. The key, I think, is to remember that we are not machines. And the best part of that is that we have free will, and can say 'no.' A small word, but a handy one. I learned to use it whenever an editor would ask me if I could do a painting in two days. I learned to use it whenever my sons would ask me if I could sew them a costume by tomorrow morning for a school play. I learned to use it whenever it was necessary. It took some time, but I did learn! And suddenly, I had breathing room again.

User Detail :  

Name : RobinW, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 46, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.