Time to start drafting women?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Eric
    Participant
    With regard to the recent terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, it seems that while war is still quite unlikely, it is much more possible than before. Perhaps it is time to review the drafting policies in place. Can anyone tell me why we should only continue to draft males? I find the male-only drafting policy quite sexist. There are already plenty of effective females in the military, and don't forget a few years back when females were practically begging to be let into certain military academies (like the Citadel).

User Detail :  

Name : Eric, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Independent, Age : 19, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anonymous
    Participant
    The reason we shouldn't draft females is simple... you can't draft entire families or there will be no one to take care of the home front. Who will raise the children if we start drafting women? Women who want to join the military and who do not have families of their own are obviously free to join, but to draft them would be detrimental to the country. During war times ( and I mean, REAL war... ) women are the ones working in industry maintaining the country, keeping up production, etc. I'm not trying to insinuate by all of this that women should just stay home and raise children (I certainly don't...) but the fact is that during times of war, someone has to remain in the country and keep things going.

User Detail :  

Name : Anonymous, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Kay
    You're finding that policy sexist because it is! I always figured having equal rights meant having equal responsibilities. When I was in college in the early '80s (shortly after registration started again), my roommate and I tried to register for the draft. After getting the card sent back three times with a note saying, 'You must have made a mistake, you stated that you're a female,' we gave up.

I'd say it's high time we revamped the draft registration policies, but you'd never get a politician to go for something that would be highly unpopular. Sadly, I'm betting most of the people in this country would be horrified at the thought of 'all those Mommies' being sent to war. I guess we're not so equal after all.

User Detail :  

Name : Kay, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : E. Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Graphic artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Laura W.
    It was time a long time ago! I want to be eligible for the draft (although I'm too old now) so that I could have the opportunity to be a conscientious objector! I think that there are many reasons why women are not yet drafted. And I think most of them come down to sexism. Also, I believe that even in this day, girls, more than boys are still raised to be nurturers and boys are raised to be fighters. It's instilled in us at an early age. Therefore, there are probably a much smaller number of women than men who would actually want, or be willing, to go to war. Oppressive behavior only ends if the oppressed fight against it. Most women probably aren't too interested in ending this particular symptom of oppression.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J.D.
    It does seem like an archaic practice hailing back to the days when if your male population was wiped out in war, the few remaining males could repopulate your country within one generation. Females could only reproduce once every nine months. Males could reproduce, well, as many times as they had the opportunity. If you are also referring to women serving in a combat role, (infantry, armor, etc.) I am ashamed to admit that we may not be ready yet. Can women serve in these roles? Historically, yes. But still, I was always embarrassed at the way my comrades behaved around female personnel after or during a long FTX - Field Trainining Exercise. (Slightly off subject note: I recall a study that proved that slightly overweight women with high blood pressure could be better fighter pilots than 25-year-old healthy males because of their ability to handle sustained and extreme 'g' loads. I cannot confirm or remember the source.)

User Detail :  

Name : J.D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : No organized religion, Age : 34, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Automotive Technician, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucy22469
    Participant
    I think that in war esspecially we have to use our resources wisely, and I don't think that women are suited for marching through the jungle/dessert carrying heavy backpacks. Most of us just don't have the physical strength required to be effective. This doesn't mean that we couldn't serve our country if need be. There is a lot more to defense than infantry, esspecially in the type of war that we might be getting involved with.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22469, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

CC19153
    Participant
    Even if they did draft women, we'd likely end up sitting in front of a computer or fixing machinery. I really doubt that most women are ready for combat. Can a 5'5", 120-lb. 23-year-old woman carry the same amount of material as her male counterpart who is 6' even and 180? I don't think so. As a small woman (5'2", 105 lbs.), I'd prefer to be regulated to a desk.

User Detail :  

Name : CC19153, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 22, City : Somewhere, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Beth23216
    Participant
    Actually, to set the record straight, we do NOT draft anyone -- male or female. However, males are still required to register, females are not. As a female who served 15 years in the Army & National Guard, I feel women SHOULD have to register. With declining birthrates drafting women might become necessary. And it's not unprecedented. It has happened in other countries. However, if one drafts women, then one MUST remove the 'combat arms' ceiling to advancement.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23216, Gender : F, Age : 42, City : Wamego, State : KS Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Brian23054
    Participant
    I feel both men and women should be required to perform service for their country in time of a draftable war. I don't think either should be 'required' to enter combat, but the fact is, nearly 85% of all military jobs are non-combat (medical, truck drivers, postal workers, clerical, supply clerks, intelligence: all non-gendered). For feminists to argue that they should be able choose to fight is simply an example of wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Men don't have the option. They can either go and fight, or they can be labled 'draft dodging cowards.' If they go, some female will most likely take their job and buy their house at an auction while he's making $10,000 a year getting shot at. If women want the same rights as men (voting, holding office, freedom) they should have the same obligations. Freedom = responsibility. And all of the wah wah about having to stay at home with kids is just that. The guys are in the same position, and feminists find fairly convienient excuses for motherhood when it comes time to bite a bullet.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23054, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Peru, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ACC25129
    Participant
    How much you can carry is only important in a relatively small number of combat positions. Almost everything is carried by vehicles nowadays, even the tents for sleeping in the field. My drill sargeants in boot camp were quite blunt in saying that they preferred female recruits to male. They're better disciplined (far fewer macho types with attitude problems), have better hygiene and are more orderly. Many of the women in the service now ARE in combat positions (such as nurses at evac hospitals); we just pretend they aren't. Really, all the regulations do is act as a glass ceiling.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25129, Gender : M, Age : 35, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Grad student, ex-Army, 

Beth
    She probably couldn't. But, could a 5'5', 120 lb male carry the same load as his 6' even 180 pound counterpart? I don't think so. But, could a 5'9' 150 lb woman carry the same as her 5'9' male counterpart. I know she can. Cause I've been there, done that.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Age : 45, City : Wamego, State : KS Country : United States, 

Paul
    Participant
    As a young medical doctor I was involved in combat situations in Angola. The war you describe where most equipment would be transported with trucks I never saw - war is one ugly physical and psychological nightmare. I would suggest that war in Afghanistan would be more like the Angolan scenario than a nice high tech war in the Boston area! Do not be so sure you would cope and do not volunteer for anything - that was rule 1 for survival in the South-African army.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian Scientist, Age : 44, City : Pretoria, State : NA Country : South Africa, Occupation : Gynaecologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    'Tiny little males' who are drafted do not have the option to choose a desk job or a combat position. Nor should women. Draftees of either sex (and any sexual orientation)should be trained and tested, and then placed in positions based on *individual abilities* -- as it is (theoretically) done now. I absolutely believe that women should be subject to the draft, should be able (and required) to assume combat positions, etc. Denying women the right and responsibility to serve in all military capacities is sexist; furthermore, it deprives the military of half its potential pool of soldiers. (Please don't suggest to me that lots of women can't handle it. I will not argue the point one way or another. I will say that there are lots of men who 'can't handle it', either. See my point above -- we have training, testing, and ability-appropriate placement. The solution to this argument is already in place.) For women to suggest that they 'don't wanna' be drafted is appalling -- it insults women who wish to serve in any capacity, it suggests to more close-minded people that *no* women should serve in anything other than a desk job, and it insults the males who are not allowed to whine 'I don't wanna be drafted'. Women should not be allowed special dispensations. Nor do I believe this position is tied to the oft-heard argument, 'well, if women want equal rights, they have to have equal responsibilities'. After all, such logic would then force us to make dispensations for women who don't want equal rights -- they would be able to opt out of the draft. The point is, no capable person in our society ought to have the ability to worm out of military service should such service be required. On the other hand, if women were suddenly called to serve and, as a group, truly hated the idea, then perhaps our society would be forced to have more honest discussions about where and how we use our military forces -- perhaps we as a nation would then be more circumspect in our deployments.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim Smith-Stout, Gender : F, Race : human, Religion : Atheist, Age : 36, City : Tempe, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

David Williams
    Participant
    If the truth be told, if a 6' even, 180 pound woman turned up, would she be welcomed with open arms, or with suspicion for being 'unfeminine'? shorter, weaker people wuold be unsuitable for some tasks, but even the technology of warfare demands a range of qualities and skills. If our military leaders want the very best, they must make it possible to get the best, not just the best of the tall men.

User Detail :  

Name : David Williams, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black Caribbean/British, Religion : Christian, Age : 44, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : trainer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Bert
    If my memory is correct, women on the front line was tried by the Israelis, and it failed miserably. Men, it seems, are much more protective of a wounded woman than a man, and therefore will put themselves and their comrades in more danger by being overprotective. Also, I am told that getting shot at a lot tends to increase the sexual urge, and that a lot of procreation occurs following an engagement.

User Detail :  

Name : Bert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 33, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.