Tight Jewish people?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Donna S.
    Participant
    Why are Jewish people considered 'tight' or stingy, frugal etc.?

User Detail :  

Name : Donna S., Gender : F, Age : 46, City : na, State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Me24668
    Participant
    Because they ARE tight and stingy.

User Detail :  

Name : Me24668, Gender : F, Age : 28, City : Milford, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sherry24686
    Participant
    I was once employed as a grocery checkout clerk. Many of the Jewish customers reviewed their receipts closely and always disputed small charges (fifteen cents here, seventeen cents there).

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry24686, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, 

Doug
    Participant
    'Stingy' might be the wrong idea. 'Financially goal oriented' might be a little more accurate. In high school I had several Jewish acquaintances. It was there that I first heard about 'Jewish mothers'. A common theme about Jewish moms is that they are very focused on their kids success in a way that a lot of other ethnic groups aren't. In particular, my Jewish acquaintances quipped about their lack of choices if they wanted to do something different than be doctor, lawyer, investment banker, (well-paid). Having become Financially goal-oriented myself within the last few years, others have viewed me as 'tight' (I'm not Jewish). My friends have criticized me for driving my '92 Mazda Protege, lack of nice clothes and furniture, lack of expensive vacations, and other materialist 'lacks'. Funny, they even criticize me for my $25,000 emergency fund, and the $225,000 in my IRA. To me, both of those nest-eggs are woefully inadequate. My SUV-pals not only don't even have that in the bank, they're overextended to the tune of $100,000+ Jewish people use their money wisely.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug, City : Laurel, State : MD Country : United States, 

Laura27473
    Participant
    Because they often work very hard to beome financially independent or successful and from Shakespeare's time forward envious people would remark on their 'love' of money.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura27473, City : na, State : RI Country : United States, 

Jenny20466
    Participant
    A jewish friend of mine (from NY) commented on a dress I was wearing, said it was beautiful, then asked how much I paid for it. I told her. She was aghast. 'Nevah pay retail, NEVAH pay retail.' I also had a dispute over a bill once, about $150. Her advice, 'Make them SUE you for it, they will NEVAH sue for $150'.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenny20466, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, 

Ann
    Participant
    This is what's known as an anti-Semitic stereotype, dear. Jews have historically been portrayed by society as greedy, money-grubbing, penny-pinching, dishonest, miserly, and evil. If you are looking for an excuse to hate a group that looks essentially just like you, monetary issues are a good starting point.

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 39, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sam-Robinson
    Participant
    Obviously you have never been around Jewish people. For whatever reason, MANY are tight. I went to college with Jews and had 1 for a roomate. I think it is passed on from their parents. Jews traditionally have small families and will not spend more than they make . I think they are admirable for their ability to support themselves. not every race can make that statement.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam-Robinson, City : Ft. Myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Dina M.
    Participant
    The traditional Jewish Faith disallowed trading and borrowing money. but when Jews were forbidden to sell food and any other products they made weren't bought by gentiles, there was only one other possible profession. From that time on Jewish people were bankers, money collectors, loan and morgage agents, and a form of Re-po men. this only caused more propaganda and hatred. now a days I'm not sure- maybe the origial notions survived, maybe new rumors were made.

User Detail :  

Name : Dina M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : unsure, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Poet, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Brittany28871
    Participant
    This stereotype was brought about because a long time ago, in the medieval period, the Jews were only allowed to hold 'dirty' jobs by the christians, and one of those jobs they could choose from was money lending. Since these Jews were the only ones who could be bankers, they were the ones making sure you payed back your lenders, and so the stereotype of Jews being obsessed with m,oney arose. It isnt true..wish it was or I would be so broke.

User Detail :  

Name : Brittany28871, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 21, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rhea
    I dont know why but I know exactly where you are comming from when you ask that. I have an uncle Non-Blood related who is extremely tight with his money He owns a bussiness and when I was younger about 12/13 I worked for him and he was harsh he would start me off working 4am till 6pm or sometimes even later for 2 days a week and I would only get 40 dollors thats over 24hrs of work less than 2dollors an hour. But that is just the way he was. I learned my lesson and really dont associate with him that much anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhea, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.