Those designing, hair-cutting gay men

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Erick L.
    Participant
    As a gay makeup artist, I realize I fall into the stereotype portrayed in the media, but my interest in makeup started when I was nine. It began with special-effects makeup in the movies, and evolved into me working for studios and also making money by making people feel beautiful. I feel that what a person chooses to do isn't linked to their sexuality. I have a good male friend who works in cosmetics at a department store and is married - yes, to a girl.

User Detail :  

Name : Erick L., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 19, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Comptuter Programmer & Makeup artist, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

fehu89
    Participant
    As a gay actor, I can only respond to the theatre aspect of the question (though my boyfriend is a cake decorator). I have a gay friend who, upon finding out about my involvement in theatre, asked me to introduce him to 'one of those kind of people.' 'One of what kind?' I asked. 'You know ... one of those.' I assumed he meant a gay man. I laughed to myself and asked him if he thought the theatre was overrun with homosexuals. I shocked him to say that, at least in my area, it's not. Gays make up a small percentage of the theatre population in my area. In fact, in one of the theatres I work in, I'm the only openly gay male. For me, artistic fields are open to gay people because they tend to be (but are not required to be) open to many different types of people. There is a security in knowing that you won't be hated for being gay in a theatre. And, I think that if you honestly look at various occupations, you will find just as many gay construction workers, gay sports players, gay coaches, gay policemen, gay firemem, etc.

One last story: I was sitting in a theatre during the intermission of a musical (which I hated) and caught the tale end of a conversation going on behind me. Two young men from a local religious university (of national reputation) who were opera majors were sitting with their girlfriends (yeah ... I know what you're thinking). One of them remarked he was happy to be finishing his opera education but was scared to venture into the professional field because of the large gay presence in the theatre. On hearing this, I turned around and politely said: 'I completely agree with you. There is a large gay presence in the theatre. But remember, it's also in the audience, and we buy the tickets that make your shows successful.'

User Detail :  

Name : fehu89, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Anderson, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Pedram
    Participant
    I't very simple .I's just because these jobs deal with delicate senses. since gays are more sensitive that straigh ones, they become intrested in such fields more that other men. another reason is that straight men are not very intrested in decoration, make ups, illuminations, just because of their traditional attitude toward their sexuality but gay men like to be beautuful and attractive, it doesn't threaten thier general concept about their sexuality ; so they easily learn how they can become more attractive and how they can make others more attractive too.

User Detail :  

Name : Pedram, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Asian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 23, City : Tehran, State : TN Country : Iran, Occupation : advertiser, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

allen31427
    Participant
    Dear Friend. As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I believe everyone will die someday. My name is Stan Benson, a merchant in Dubai, in the U.A.E.I have been diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer which was discovered very late, due to my laxity in carrying for my health. It has defiled all forms of medicine, and right now I have only about a few months to live, according to medical experts. I have not particularly lived my life so well, as I never really cared for anyone not even myself but my business. Though I am very rich, I was never generous, I was always hostile to people and only focus on my business as that was the only thing I cared for. But now I regret all this as I now know that there is more to life than just wanting to have or make all the money in the world. I believe when God gives me a second chance to come to this world I would live my life a different way from how I have lived it. Now that God ! has called me, I have willed and given most of my properties and assets to my immediate and extended family members and as well as a few close friends. I want God to be merciful to me and accept my soul and so, I have decided to give arms to charity organizations and give succour and confort to the less priviledged in our societies, as I want this to be one of the last good deeds I do on earth. So far, I have distributed money to some charity organizations in the U.A.E, Algeria and Malaysia. Now that my health has deteriorated so badly, I cannot do this my self anymore. I once asked members of my family to close one of my accounts and distribute the money which I have there to charity organization and to the less priviledged in Bulgaria and Pakistan, they refused and kept the money to themselves. Hence, I do not trust them anymore, as they seem not to be contended with what I have left for them. The last of my money which no one knows of is the huge cash deposit of twenty four million dollars that I have with a Security Company in Europe for safe keeping. I will want you to help me collect this deposit and disburse it to some charity organizations and to the less priviledged. Please send me a mail to indicate if you will assist me in this disbursement. I have set aside 10% for you for your time and patience. You can e-mail me at: While I await to hear from you, may God be with you and your entire family. Remain blessed. Stan Benson

User Detail :  

Name : allen31427, City : london, State : NA Country : Australia, 

kelly26577
    Participant
    It goes along with why most football players are black, or listen to rap. It's cultural, emphasised by shows like 'queer eye for the straight guy.' Young guys realize they are gay and many don't have any real gay men to look up to, so they go to the characters on TV and work from there. The media has perscribed a 'this is how gay people are' image, and we're buying into it.

User Detail :  

Name : kelly26577, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 19, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

tor30425
    Participant
    good question, hard to answer.. being gay myself (but in no way employed in the hair-cutting business) I see a lot of 'female' traits in gay men. One of there, I think, is a strong appreciation of beauty and a desire to make the surroundings prettier.. just as it's usually women who will do the interior decorating

User Detail :  

Name : tor30425, Gender : M, Age : 26, City : næstved, State : NA Country : Denmark, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Chad
    In my experience, most homosexual men are not hair dressers or the like. Most shy away from those carreer choices out of fear of exposure. The small few who choose those carreers do not do so because they are gay men. They do it because they love those things. It is a creative outlet. All men seek creative outlets. Where homosexuals cannot create offspring with a partener of the same sex, they can create other beautiful things. Homosexuals, however are not the majority in theese roles. Heterosexual women dominate those industries. Heterosexual men seem to shy away from anything 'feminine' which is probably why heterosexual men are a minority in fashion and desighn industries. Of course the 'feminine' designation is obviously out of percieved gender roles. Men can be just as succesful as women being hair dressers. At one time Men dominated the hair cutting industry. Barber shops began as a medical practice when blood letting was considered to be healthy. We now know that it is just the opposite. Because it was a medical field, men were the only barbers, and hair was cut there due to the availability of razors and cutting instruments. Women did not enter the field until much later. Now hair cutting is more about fashion, and women embraced that movement. I often wounder though if women embrace fashion and desighn out of a desire for genuine personal fulfillment, or based on societal preasures and stigmas. I'm fairly certain that many homosexual men enter fashion and desighn fields for the latter, although many probably do recieve a sence of personal fulfillment through creative realizations and attainments. It is misguided, however to assume that all men (including flamboyant males) in theese industries are gay. Many heterosexuals do exist ammong their ranks. It is also incorrect to assume that gay men preffer theese positions or the fruits of their industries. Gay men are probably the most diverse population segment I know of.

User Detail :  

Name : Chad, Gender : M, Age : 27, City : Tulsa, State : OK Country : United States, 

Michael
    Participant
    I asked myself this question a lot during my teen years because I was interested in what were considered 'female' interests--sewing, art, theatre, musicals, fashion--and yet, I didn't believe I was gay. 'Male' interests--cars, boats, planes, trains, mechanical things, etc--didn't interest me at all. So I went through a long period of gender identity crises. Compounding the issue was the fact that I was molested when I was six years old, and didn't know by the time I was a teen whether or not a preferred males or females. In fact, I liked both, but preferred women. So, if I were to become involved in my artistic interests, I worried that I would looked at as being gay. Those years were extremely frustrating. Looking back, now, I realize that perhaps I was just more responsive to artistic interests than to the usual male pursuits. And, I daresay, that is why there seem to be a preponderance of gays in the 'arts'. I'm surprised, by the way, that no one else has answered this.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Disability : Blind, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian Agnostic, Age : 59, City : Calgary, State : AL Country : Canada, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.