The real reasons teachers don’t teach

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

kanndaisy
    I'm the only member of my family that decided NOT to be a teacher. Holidays and family dinners are full of 'teacher talk' and most of the time I end up so frustrated by the lack of respect teachers get...mostly from parents who insist that their children are 'gifted' or 'exceptional' and claim that it's the teacher's fault for failing grades or bad behavior. More than once I've heard of parents wanting to sue the teacher or school district. For what? For teaching responsibility, work ethic, consequences? I often ask why teachers put up with this behavior from parents and the response I get is, 'Because we have to.' Why? What other profession would allow this badgering to occur to the most prized employees? It turns out that my career choice was a wise one even with the amount of dysfunction and desperation I see. At least I'm not labeled as the one to blame for it.

User Detail :  

Name : kanndaisy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 28, City : Kansas City, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Katie
    I'm a teacher with 13 years experience, from college, to high school, to middle school. I teach middle school, and love it. I am probably insane, but my sanity is what keeps me from going crazy. ;) Teaching isn't work to me; it's being with friends all day long who are as delighted to see me as I am delighted to see them. What I see coming from a lot of these posts are a huge desire to help others succeed, but a lack of understanding in some crucial areas, such as what motivates and de-motivates learners; how to work within a large bureacracy; how to talk to kids so that kids will listen, and listen so kids will talk; and how to get parents on your side. All of this is possible, but experience is the best teacher. What happens usually is that a new teacher comes in with lots of enthusiasm, very few skills, little practice at classroom management, and has yet to find his/her own teaching style. It is absolutely a trial by fire to stay in education and find your own groove. Given some good kids and parents, some sane administrators and a few years of trial and error, it is possible. And once you find your groove, there is nothing like being a teacher -- if this is your vocation. We all have our talents. If you're in education, the very best book I can recommend is Harry Wong's The First Days of School for classroom management. Get CM down pat, and you can teach; everyone can relax and feel at ease, and learning can take place.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 37, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.