Speak the language

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Rhea28874
    Participant
    I find it very rude that whenever I go into a nail salon that all the Chinese workers there working on my nails start speaking to each other in Chinese so us Americans can't understand them. Why do they do that? If you come to our country shouldn't you be learning our language, and if we come into your nail salon shouldn't you out of respect speak in English or at least try to speak to us, your costumers? I stopped going to Chinese people to get my nails done because of this. It's downright rude!

User Detail :  

Name : Rhea28874, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike19584
    Participant
    They were probably speaking Chinese because they can do that more fluently than speaking English. Their English speaking skills might also be at a low level, and they don't want to embarrass themselves by using the language.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike19584, Gender : M, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Sherry19591
    Participant
    I agree. In my opinion, listening to immigrants chatter in other languages is highly annoying. I find it even more annoying when they do these things while providing services to me, as it makes me feel invisible.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry19591, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sarita
    Participant
    I think it's fine that they speak Chinese between themselves. Of course, they should try to speak English to you, or else you cannot understand them! But, the U.S. is a diverse country, with people from many different countries and who speak many different languages. They have a right to feel safe and secure speaking Chinese to each other. I'm not saying that it's not rude to speak right in front of you. It may make you feel weird. But don't persecute them ... everyone has a right to speak how they want!

User Detail :  

Name : Sarita, Gender : F, Race : Asian, City : Apex, State : NC Country : United States, 

Eastern
    Participant
    I believe your comment is rude and very ignorant. It's not that Asians don't want to speak the English language. (Don't worry they are not talking about you.) In most cases, these Chineese woman, or in fact Vietnameese are going through school to work on their English. It takes time to learn. Some of the English words are very hard to pronounce. You have to realize that most of them just migrated to the States and the only way to make a living at the moment is to use their skills the best way they can. They are not trying to be rude. Sometimes they feel embarrassed because their English might not sound right to you. A lot of the Asians are very intimidatted by Americans. That's why they choose not to speak to you. And if this stops you from going to an Asian nail salon because of this reason, then we are better off not having rude customers like yourself

User Detail :  

Name : Eastern, City : CHeney, State : WA Country : United States, 

Peter
    Participant
    I never understood why people said stuff like that. I'm not Asian or anything but why does it matter whether they speak in their native tongue when THEY ARE PROVIDING YOU A SERIVCE? I can see if they weren't doing their job or something, but as long as youre getting what you paid for, who cares what they say?

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anna19575
    Participant
    I disagree. They may be speaking Chinese simply because they are more comfortable with it. America was built by people with many different languages and backgrounds. We cannot assert that English is the only polite language to speak in public. If you want to know what they're saying, learn Chinese!

User Detail :  

Name : Anna19575, Gender : F, Age : 26, City : Seoul, State : na Country : Korea, 

KN
    Participant
    It seems fairly narcissistic to think that the salon workers speaking their native language has anything to do with you. That a person speaks in a language other than English does not necessarily mean they are unable to speak English; perhaps they simply choose not to. Further, I find it disturbing that you assume that a person speaking another language, or perhaps with an accent, is not American. Status as an 'American' is a legal designation, not a linguistic or vernacular one. Perhaps you feel slighted because you feel that the salons that you've patronized have not provided the customer service that you would appreciate. There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but when you connect this dissatisfaction with the language that the technicians opt to use, your concerns come across as petty and narrow-minded. If you really find the staff not speaking to you and instead conversing with each other problematic, perhaps you should try begining a dialogue with them - it always works for me.

User Detail :  

Name : KN, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 28, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Patty
    Participant
    I have been going to get my nails done by Vietnamese nail techs for many years. Truthfully, it amazes me that they are able to come over here and assimilate American English as well as they do. I can only imagine how terrible my attempts at speaking fluent Vietnamese would be. How brave! Let's give a little respect for these hard-working individuals. Our nation is a nation of immigrants. When you get right down to it, even Native Americans immigrated here at one time. Some people getting their nails done act as if the nail tech is invisible. Speak to that person holding your hand! We are all in this world together. If you want to really make your nail tech happy, ask them to teach you a little Vietnamese. I have never met a nail tech who was not delighted to do this and to share some pretty amazing childhood stories. Start by saying 'chow' to your nail tech. I don't know if I spelled it right, but that means 'thank you'. This world could use a little more kindess and undrestanding.

User Detail :  

Name : Patty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Peter
    Participant
    I agree with you 100% I believe if they are so mad then learn the language! Im not asian by a long shot but people should be allowed to speak whatever they want.

User Detail :  

Name : Peter, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jonny-seal
    Participant
    Stop being so lame, its about the trade, you pay for the service and you get the nails done, everything else is trivial. Just stop it, grow up...

User Detail :  

Name : Jonny-seal, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, 

Richard
    Participant
    There are people who find it rude that a large group of foreigners in splotchy clothing came to their country looking for what wasn't there and continue to walk and drive their streets carrying M-4's & SAWs while calling to each other loudly in English. Americans should stop being the world's policeman & get out of Iraq!

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 44, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Nelson-A19680
    Participant
    I don't think they speak Vietnamese so other Americans won't understand. It's like Spanish in Miami. People speak what comes confortable to them. The early asian immigrants to the US learned the language, learned the customs, learned everything. The early Mexican immigrants didn't even teach Spanish to their kids, wanting so hard that they be 'American.' The end result, no matter how Yankee Doodle an asian is or how Davy Crocket a typical Mexican is... they are still seen by the Whites (non-hispanic whites) and non-asians as US citizens, but not as true Americans. Typical Mexicans especally discovered the hard way that no matter how redneck their English was and how apple pie they were, Mary, Greg and Jim would not invite them over for a Barbeque and to watch football. Much less would Greg introduce his sister Heather to Juan Gonzalez. So, the new wave of immigrants discovered that to avoid falling into the same social limbo (or hell), they had to learn the adoptive country's customs and FIGHT TO KEEP THEIR OWN. Thanks to this, Spanish is the most studied secdond language in the US. This cultural/linguistic diversity, in the long run will help you guys (Monolingual and monocultural Americans) be more like the rest of the world... bilingual, trilingual, polylingual, etc. Go to Europe, you'll be surprised how from the middle class up, EVERYBODY speaks more than one language, same goes for Latin America (I'm an example). Welcome to the globalized world. And as for the Vietnemese nail technicians, lighten up already, they're not talking in Vietnamese so 'Americans' won't understand them, they're just talking in Vietnamese, and they ARE learning the language.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A19680, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 36, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Educator/Lawyer/Radio, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael19714
    Participant
    Suppose you were in a foreign land, spoke the language passably, and managed to get along. If you met someone from your own country, wouldn't it be easier to speak to them in your native tongue than in one you were only moderately good at?

User Detail :  

Name : Michael19714, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Law Enforcement, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    ...with poor, put upon, 'oh, my senses or so offended' white folks feeling put off because a group of people choose not to confirm to the wishes and standards of white folks (insert rolling eyes here). WHY is it your business what language any group of people chooses to speak??? Damn, lady, you CHOSE to YOUR nails done in THEIR establishment! If Chinese people speaking in their native language made you that uncomfortable, you should have LEFT! Perhaps found a salon run by english speaking Americans, since Chinese people speaking Chinese seems to have unsettled you so. You white folks really, seriously need to get over yourselves and understand that it is NOT up to any foreigner to make YOU confortable by bending to your will; rather, it is up to YOU to understand that they are simply human beings just like you, except they are of a different ethnicity, and speak a different language. Funny, I don't have any problem at all with the nice Korean ladies who give me manicures and pedicures...then again, I'm not such a pompous ass as to think that they should stop speaking in their own, LEGITIMATE language just because I walk into their shop. Chinese folks are not going to stop speaking their language because it bothers you (you apparently have as superior complex or an inferiority complex), so relax, get your nails and tootsies done, and hush up. You might learn a few words and phrases.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw19813, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 44, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.