Southern men with ball caps in restaurants

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jeff K.
    Participant
    I do not understand the habit some Southern men have of wearing ball caps indoors, in restaurants and movie theaters, in particular. What's up with this? Has etiquette changed while I wasn't looking?

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff K., Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 58, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Federal government, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    If you're brought up to think that wearing hats indoors is rude, then you'll think it's rude. If you're brought up thinking that's the norm, then that's the norm. In some cultures, for example, burping at the dinner table is considered a compliment to the cook. An indication of a good meal that was well enjoyed. In American culture, it's considered rude. Ball caps indoors doesn't, for the most part, interfere with another's ability to enjoy their meal or see a movie. Now if it were a cowboy hat, that would be another matter.

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

SD
    I don't know about the Southern men you've encountered, but as a GRIT -Girl Raised In The South, I can promise you that no true Southern gentleman would ever wear a ball cap in a restaurant. Etiquette didn't change, some men just prefer to ignore it.

User Detail :  

Name : SD, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 38, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

norbertneuman
    Participant
    I never see this in metro areas, but i also see this in the rural southern and northern areas of Minnesota. Minnesota is about southern as Maine lobster. So its more rural than southern.

User Detail :  

Name : norbertneuman, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : mahtomedi, State : MN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Renea
    Participant
    If one was raised in a religious family, one would not wear a hat while eating for the same reason one would not wear a hat in church. God is presumed to be present in both cases. That's why we say "grace." Besides, it looks terribly uncouth.

User Detail :  

Name : Renea, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : late 50s, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.