Sex education backfire?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Paige
    Participant
    Am I the only one who thinks that in its attempt to educate young viewers about the perils of unprotected sex, certain musical cable networks have crossed the line from educating and warning to advertising and promoting?

User Detail :  

Name : Paige, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : wharton, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : internet sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Lucy-H22641
    Participant
    I have seen a lot of promotion of sex on TV, but rarely anything to do with education about the perils of unprotected sex. It is true that MTV occationally runs commercials for condoms, but these are few and far between. I don't think the networks ever had the intention of educating young people about sex. That's not their job, anyway. It is the parents' job to educate their children about sex and the risks that come with it, not the networks.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy-H22641, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 25, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eric25185
    Participant
    Where did you get the idea that music cable channels are trying to teach young people about sex other than to glorify it and try to say there are no consequences? For that matter, are there more than just a few people in the whole entertainment industry who speak up for abstinence before marriage, fidelity during marriage or keeping families as the main unit of society? Just look at the vast majority of TV, movie or popular musical offerings and see just where the standards of morality are.

User Detail :  

Name : Eric25185, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Las Cruces, State : NM Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Danielle Koukos
    Participant
    I think the stations don't promote it but the videos do. So, I guess by playing the videos, the stations definitely undermine whatever positive messages they attempt at getting across.

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle Koukos, Gender : F, Race : X, Age : 24, City : Lakehurst, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan27361
    Participant
    I would have to agree with you. I do believe that 500 condoms are better than 500 abortions any day, but I also believe MTV and others overstep the line. They basically use advertising techniques in these spots I've seen. They fail to make known that condoms aren't as reliable as everyone has been made to think. And they don't even mention the word 'abstinence.' The ads seem to have a seductive nature to them, that those who go ahead and have sex via condoms use are cool, and those who do it without condoms aren't quite as cool. Modern sex ed, from personal experience, is little more than an anatomy lesson and how-to instructions. They need to delve much deeper into it, and explore every facet instead of going over superficial details.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27361, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal Christian, Age : 21, City : Los Angeles. County, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student/dishwasher, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Rhiannon
    Regardless of what the condom ads on music television teach kids about sex, the content of music television teaches kids messages about sex that are highly disturbing. Many music videos objectify women; they portray women as people who are valuable only for their bodies and sexuality, as opposed to inner self-worth. And music television portrays sex as the be-all-end-all experience, which doesn't exactly encourage teens to wait until they are older and more responsible to try out the great temptation that is dangled before them. Lucy, of course it is the parents' responsibility to teach their kids about sexuality. But regardless, the media is one major place where people are socialized in this culture. A recent study shows that the average American teenager watches 3-4 hours of TV per day and spends about six hours a day with all forms of media (TV, radio, Internet, etc.). That's more time than people spend in full-time jobs!

User Detail :  

Name : Rhiannon, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 29, City : Eden Prairie, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Professor, Social class : Middle class, 

Meghan
    Participant
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with teenagers wearing baggy jeans. If that is what makes them feel comfortable, then they should wear it. Why do all old people mis-match? This is the same type of situation, except they don't discriminate against old people. They only single us out because they have an advantage of age over us. They would never do that to an elderly person because it would be 'disrespectful'. To me, there is nothing wrong with the way that people dress. If you have a problem with the way that someone is dressing, then most likely they have a problem with the way that you dress too. i don't think that people should worry about the little things in the big world that we live in and instead worry about the things that could change our lives forever.

User Detail :  

Name : Meghan, Gender : F, City : Rochester Hills, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.