Searching for words

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

J-Smith
    Participant
    My husband and I just found out that his son and daughter-in-law are going to have a Down syndrone child. As the very new step-mom, I do not know what to say. The family is very sensitive and does not communicate at all. I am extremely social with everyone but his kids.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Smith, City : Fresno, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ted F.
    Participant
    You should first and foremost remember that you are having a new grandson who needs love and support just like any other human being. There are many organizations that can provide up-to-date information about the lives and prospects for people with Down Syndrome. My 21-year-old son lives on his own, as it happens, in Fresno! If you would like to meet him, please contact me by e-mail. You might call the Down Syndrome Association of Los Angeles and ask to be sent a new parent package. The telephone number is (818) 718-6363. Ask for Nancy Hall, the executive director. Find out if there is a local Down Syndrome parent group in your area.

User Detail :  

Name : Ted F., Gender : M, City : Simi Valley, State : CA Country : United States, 

LSR
    Participant
    What is it that you really want to say? I say you should respect your heart, and offer kind words to someone you know is probably in need of your wisdom and compassion. Just because his family doesn't communicate doesn't mean you shouldn't. You should be you. You should reach out when you really want to.

User Detail :  

Name : LSR, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Santa Monica, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Geraldine21681
    Participant
    Having a Down's sister, I wanted to reply to your question, but I wasn't sure how to, as my position is so different from yours. But when I read Ted's opening line that you should first and foremost remember that you are having a new grandson, it reminded me of something my mother told me as a child. She explained to me how upset she and my father were when my sister was born, and how, not fully understanding the condition, they were prepared to sell the house, anything, if there were an operation to 'cure' her. As a 10-year-old, I couldn't understand that. How on earth could my parents want to change my wonderful, loving sister? I understood she was hard work for them, but I had the benefit of knowing her as a person. Just like everyone else, she has her own personality, just as your grandson will have. And believe me, he will be more loving than you can possibly imagine.

User Detail :  

Name : Geraldine21681, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Civil servant, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.