Scrap NAACP’s and UNCF’s names?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Andres
    Participant
    To black people: since Negro and Colored are usually offensive now, how do you feel about the names of organizations like The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People or The United Negro College Fund? Do you think they should replace 'Negro' and/or 'Colored'? Or is it OK because they are black organizations?

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

Lynn22506
    Participant
    Collectively speaking, we understand that the terms are used in an historical context. When these entities were founded, 'Colored' and 'Negro' were the terms of that era to describe black people. It's not offensive to me at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn22506, Gender : F, Age : 35, City : Louisville, State : KY Country : United States, 

Aaron
    Participant
    It's not OK, but as black people we have been able to look beyond the names of these organizations and focus on the good they have and will do in the future. And with all the good they do, there is a sacrifice that we must live with the name. I must say I am not ashamed of the history of my people, or the NAACP or UNCF. Understand that that is what they called black people back then. It was even what we called ourselves. So we will keep the names and remember from whence we came. I didn't know that white people were so concerned as to what black people call our organizations, although I do appreciate your concern.

User Detail :  

Name : Aaron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Palo Alto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer
    Participant
    Yes, of course...its ok cos they're black organisations but you'll be blatantly lying if you said you can use those names for a black guy without a discriminatory note. So all I have to say to you is that we have names you can call us if you're a friend!

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

m-jonson
    Participant
    I believe it would be a good ideal to change the name of both organization. If it aint broke why fix it.

User Detail :  

Name : m-jonson, City : st.paul, State : MN Country : United States, 

Albert
    Participant
    I am not offended by negro or colored...What bothers me is black.. My hair is very dark brown..I hate the laziness of people who characterize it as black.. I have never seen a human with black skin.. I have seen black hair but never black skin..I have seen millions of shades of colors of skin and once saw an Ethiopian who hung out in the sun who had the darkest skin I could imagine ,,It was not black.. Anyone know anyone with black skin?..I'd be curious to see what that looks like.

User Detail :  

Name : Albert, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 53, City : Homer, State : AK Country : United States, Occupation : fisherman/self employed, Social class : Lower class, 

India
    Participant
    What people do not realize is that both names have different meanings. 'Negro' is spanish that denotes an object as black. The correct word for a black person is 'moreno'. 'Colored' really means 'without color'. If I say I weeded my garden, that means I took the weeds OUT. If I buy pitted olives, that means the olives DO NOT have pits. So 'Colored' means not having color actually.

User Detail :  

Name : India, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 39, City : Mason, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

liquid-stone22731
    Participant
    Negro (meaning black person or person of color) is not offensive....Niger (meaning dirty or filthy person) is!!!!

User Detail :  

Name : liquid-stone22731, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, 

Kathleen26635
    Participant
    This is very interesting since the African-American community wants to change what they are called every 30 years or so. Negro seems offensive as it has a connection to slavery. However, 'black' seems to have gone out of vogue because of mixed races having lighter or honey color skin. It's an evolution of a culture. There is discrimination amongst the black and blacker people. But African-American (to me) seems like a prima donna term that signifies that Africans are special. Would about people of color from the Carribean living here in the USA? They don't do around calling themselves Carribean-American or Jamaician-American, do they? I never refer to myself as German-American. As a 'white' (NOTE: I didn't say Caucasian), I still like to to say the 'black race' or 'black people', yet I feel that I'm offending. I'm not offended being called white even though I'm a mellow shade of tan.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathleen26635, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Waterford, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike19462
    Participant
    Aren't those organizations, by definition, racist? You never see United Caucasian College Fund or National Association for the Advancement of Caucasian People. African Americans would freak out (and rightfully so).

User Detail :  

Name : Mike19462, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 37, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : construction, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.