Religious greetings

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Sue
    Participant
    ...of course it depends on who's saying it. If it's someone I don't know, I'll say 'same to you' cause I'm not going to stop a stranger and explain that I don't believe the same way they do. But someone I know well, will know I'm not a Christian, and therefore will say it with understanding. I once told someone I didn't do Christmas because I'm not a Christian, and she replied, 'That has nothing to do with it.' HUH? As I've gotten older, it doesn't bother me as much. Once upon a time I considered wearing a button that said, 'How dare you assume I'm a Christian!'

User Detail :  

Name : Sue, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 48, City : Ft .Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : burned-out nurse, 

T.M.
    Participant
    Im Jewish, and I'm certainly not offended when people say 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Easter.' I usually smile back, to show them that I appreciate the sentiment. But every now and then I'll reply, 'Happy Hannukah,' and laugh, to put them at ease. I've gotten a lot fewer of those kind of questions since I started wearing a Jewish star around my neck, and even less than that once I started wearing a kipah (the little cap that a lot of jews wear).

User Detail :  

Name : T.M., Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Orly
    Participant
    I always graciously let it go. These are well-intentioned strangers and acquaintances, and I feel it's silly to expect a 'Happy Holidays', greeting, when 80% of our society celebrates Christmas, Easter, etc. It would take too much unnecessary energy to correct everyone that passes your way. If I happen to get into a discussion with a stranger, I may mention that I'm Jewish if the subject comes up, but I'm never offended when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas/Happy Easter.

User Detail :  

Name : Orly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 30, City : London, State : OR Country : Canada, Occupation : Receptionist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L K
    I say 'Happy Holidays' usually around December. If someone says, 'Happy Easter!' I usually look puzzled and say, 'It's Easter? Oh, that would explain the kook in the bunny suit at the mall.' Luckily I've never heard anyone say something like 'Happy Ash Wednesday' to me. And I say 'Gesundheit' when someone sneezes. What I do find annoying is leaving a restaurant and the waitress says something like, 'Have a blessed day.' What right does she have to bless me? Usually I just give her a funny look and let it slide.

User Detail :  

Name : L K, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Laurel, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

George
    The greeter is wishing me happiness or merriment and that's great. I return the greeting, e.g., Christmas, because it does apply to them even more than it does apply to me. Sometimes I see a greeting in the form, 'Merry Christmas/Hannukah/Kwazaa/whatever'. I find that kind of greeting insensitive because Christmas cannot be compared to Hannukah. So I don't say anything at all in reply. Occasionally people ask me what kind of major Buddhist events are there and how do Buddhists greet each other during such periods. I explain that as far as I know such greetings are not used in a North American context.

User Detail :  

Name : George, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 54, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Evaluation researcher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Robert23965
    Participant
    If you've got a problem with someone wishing you 'Merry Christmas', there is something truly wrong with you. As Bill O'Reilly said, if you can't bear to hear Christian expressions, then pack your bags for Israel.

User Detail :  

Name : Robert23965, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, 

keith
    Being non-religious, if someone says 'Merry Christmas' to me, I just say the same thing back. Most people recognise Christmas or Easter as secular holidays.

User Detail :  

Name : keith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Anastasia
    Participant
    I say, 'Thank-you.'

User Detail :  

Name : Anastasia, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Exton
    Participant
    I myself am a nontheist (something akin to atheism). I don't mind religious holidays or their associated greetings. Since I'm not religious, I personally take that as a license to celebrate ALL the holidays of all religions that I choose to. I may not agree with the beliefs, but if it's in the spirit of togetherness and merriment, then I find no reason not to join in.

User Detail :  

Name : Exton, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : nontheist, Age : 18, City : Medway, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

jjirf
    Participant
    muslim here, when ever someone says merry xmas i always say it back , no need to get into that bother of explaining stuff even when ppl know you r muslim they still say it in good spirit

User Detail :  

Name : jjirf, City : ff, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

Dan
    I think it is nice when someone says happy anything at all. I say Merry Christmas. I like to hear it. Easter is a bit different, since that is a day where I feel very excluded and/or reviled as a Jew. Xmas is a religious and secular celebration. Easter is mostly religious. I wish my muslim friend a good Eid. People ned to lighten up--including Bill O'Reilly and his ridiculous worries about a 'war' on Christmas.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 39, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : MD, 

NaomiBen-Ari
    Participant
    I usually reply "Have a Happy Holiday", but I do feel kind of odd - like being wished "Happy Birthday" when it isn't your birthday at all. What really bugs me (though I know they mean no harm) is the little old ladies that will lean over the toddler in the baby seat of your Walmart shopping basket in December and coo "And what is Santa bringing you, little boy...?" Once, when my little boy was about 4, we had some Trick-or-Treaters come to the door. Even though we keep our porch light off, I do keep some candy for those who knock, so we gave them some. "Happy Halloween!" they said on parting. "Oh, we're not Halloweenish!" was his prompt reply. Naomi

User Detail :  

Name : NaomiBen-Ari, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 54, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.