Red dot on a MAN’S forehead

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

IP
    Participant
    It's usually done after prayer. The red dot is to symbolise the third eye, and in a way to ward off evil spirits or bad luck. It's not a compulsory thing.

User Detail :  

Name : IP, City : Kuala Lumpur, State : NA Country : Malaysia, 

Charles
    From http://www.hinduism.co.za/tilak.htm Tilak By Swami Shivananda Divine Life Society, Rishikesh Tilak is a mark of auspiciousness. It is put on the forehead with sandal paste, sacred ashes or kumkum (red tumeric). The devotees of Siva apply sacred ashes (Bhasma) on the forehead, the devotees of Vishnu apply sandal paste (Chandan), and the worshippers of Devi or Shakti apply Kumkum, a red tumeric powder. The scriptures say: 'A forehead without a Tilak, a woman without a husband, a Mantra the meaning of which is not known while doing Japa (recitation), the head that does not bend before holy personages, a heart without mercy, a house without a well, a village without a temple, a country without a river, a society without a leader, wealth that is not given away in charity, a preceptor without a disciple, a country without justice, a king without an able minister, a woman not obedient to her husband, a well without water, a flower without smell, a soul devoid of holiness, a field without rains, an intellect without clearness, a disciple who does not consider his preceptor as a form of God, a body devoid of health, a custom (Achar) without purity, austerity devoid of fellow-feeling, speech in which truth is not the basis, a country without good people, work without wages, Sannyasa without renunciation, legs that have not performed pilgrimages, determination unaided by Viveka or discrimination, a knife which is blunt, a cow that does not give milk, a spear without a point- all these are worthy of condemnation. They exist for name's sake only.' From this you can imagine the importance of Tilak or the sacred mark. Tilak is applied at the Ajna Chakra, the space between the two eyebrows. It has a very cooling effect. Application of sandal paste has great medicinal value, apart from the spiritual influence. Application of sandal paste will nullify the heating effect when you concentrate and meditate at the Bhrumadhya. Tilak indicates the point at which the spiritual eye opens. Lord Siva has a third eye at the Brumadhya. When he opens the third eye, the three worlds are destroyed.

User Detail :  

Name : Charles, Gender : M, Race : English, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

yoYo-ma
    Well, I believe males where the red dot for religious reasons. There is a sect of Hinduism called Swaminarayan. Individuals of this sect typically adhere to hindu traditions and rituals more diligently than the average hindu. Part of the daily ritual is to apply the tilak on one's forhead. The tilak is a mark of auspiciousness. The Tilak indicates the point at which the spiritual eye opens. Of course there is much more info on the web which will go into greater detail. But that's the jist of it.

User Detail :  

Name : yoYo-ma, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Other Pacific Islander, Religion : Sikh, Age : 29, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : IceCreamologist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lynn
    Participant
    This is actually a religious question, rather than one of race or ethnicity. The dot is usually worn by Hindu women, although some Buddhists also wear it. Men wear the tilak for ceremonial occasions, including marriage and on certain holidays. When my male friend was in the Peace Corps in Nepal, they had a going-away party in which he was virtually covered in the powder typically used to make the dot (think of kids having a food fight---he said it was very joyous and raucous).

User Detail :  

Name : Lynn, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Lash
    A bindi on a woman's forehead reminded men that a woman's physical body was a part of God's self and ought not to be considered as instrument for man's lust; it was primarily for procreation. Another form of bindis is tikkas or itlaks worn by men and women alike. The ones of sacred ashes like burnt camphor is interpreted as victory of senses over desires, thus leading to the third eye. Other ashes are supposed to bum sins, uproot dangers and protect from evil spirits all leading to attainment of spiritual enlightenment.

User Detail :  

Name : Lash, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Gina-G24687
    Participant
    It's a religious thing, from my knowledge. I went to a Hindu temple once, and everyone received a red tilak on the forehead from the priest, even my Catholic self. I did a quick Google search, here's a link: http://www.hinduism.co.za/tilak.htm If there is a temple near you, I recommend visiting it - people of all faiths are usually welcome, and the representations ('murtis') of the different Hindu gods are beautiful.

User Detail :  

Name : Gina-G24687, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anna23077
    Participant
    Hindu tradition holds that all people have three eyes; the two outer eyes see the outside world while the third focuses inward. Men usually wear a tilak to signify this third eye during an important occasion - worship, marriage, festivals, embarking on a journey, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna23077, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 25, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

shivani
    Participant
    There are two reasons: one is religious and the other tradition. the religious reason being that the tilak signifies the man belongs to a particular hindu religion sect (i.e. this person follows the swaminarayan faith). the traditional reason relates to caste systems. In the olden days when the men from the warrior caste left the home, the woman of the house usually put the tilak on her husband's forhead for good luck and safe keeping.

User Detail :  

Name : shivani, City : stc, State : IL Country : United States, 

Rahul
    Participant
    The dot is a type of blessing, per se. Mothers put that on their sons' heads after they 'pray', so instead of a verbal blessing, it's a physical blessing.

User Detail :  

Name : Rahul, Race : Asian, City : Lexington, State : KY Country : United States, 

M-Maurer19472
    Participant
    The red dot is a Hindu symbol. It is somtimes worn by women to indicate that they are married. The wearing of this symbol, however, is not limited to women. Men will also wear this symbol on certain religous occasions -- on their wedding, for instance -- like ashes on Ash Wednesday for Catholics. It is also a symbol of introspection. We have 2 eyes to see outward and a third eye to see inwards -- for reflection.

User Detail :  

Name : M-Maurer19472, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 52, City : Poughkeepsie, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Programmer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rebekah
    Participant
    I was recently interviewing someone for an English language exam and he had a red dot, and like you, I was curious. I just asked him after the interview. Apparently it was related to a blessing/religion. No big mystery. Catholics have their holy water, some Buddhists monks their shaved heads....

User Detail :  

Name : Rebekah, Gender : F, Age : 32, City : Melbourne, State : NA Country : Australia, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Gary
    Participant
    Dear Diane, I will be more than happy to answer that question. I am indian, more precisely a South Indian. The red mark you talk of is a powder called 'kum kum' which is applied by both men and women, but mainly women. If you have seen a man wearing one it would be under the following two circumstances, 1. It might be a very religious or auspicious day and for that reason he is wearing it, ie: for a prayer in which both men and women wear kum kum 2. In south India, the main caste is Brahmin. Brahmins are pure vegetarians and religion is a main part of their lives. It is common in South India for men to wear kum kum, especially Priests in temples. I would highly recommend that you visit a temple or to go talk to a south indian man/woman and visit a temple with them. I am sure you will learn a lot from your experience. If you have any further questions, please do feel free to e-mail me. Thanks. Gary.P

User Detail :  

Name : Gary, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Indian, Religion : Hindu, Age : 21, City : Auckland, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Unemployed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Birdland
    Participant
    That red mark is 'sindhoor' a red powder that the Pundit (Hindu priest) applies during religious ceremonies. It's like being blessed. It is given to men and women alike. I think you are confusing tilak, which is given by the Hindu priest to men and women both, with the decorative 'bindi', which is a small sticker that women wear on their forehead, for fashion. They are two different substances, for different purposes.---

User Detail :  

Name : Birdland, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Daryl28759
    Participant
    The red dot - or Tilak is not gender specific. Its actually a symbollic third eye. Hindus usually get it put on by the high priest or even thier mother or hold person after a prayer session - 'Puja'. In simplistic terms it means: 'may god grant you your desires and may you be blessed with foresight and uncommon vision to see your way around all the obstacles that may darken your path.' Now the one thing that is gender specific is the red powder line thats applied to a married womans hair right in the center parting, from forehead to mid way over the center. It means that she has been blessed by god to an honourable man and she is ready to recieve the blessings that befit married life. Hope that helps.

User Detail :  

Name : Daryl28759, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 30, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 

Sam
    I believe it has something to do with the religion. Some Christians wears a pendant in a neckless which has cross on it or is made in a shape of cross. Likewise some Indians put 'Tilak' on their forehead every morning while worshiping the God. Tilak can be red or can be yellow or gray depending on what they use to make the Tilak. Many Indians wipe the Tliak out before stepping out of the home but some don't.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam, City : Lewisville, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.