Racist gay white guys

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

A. Will
    Participant
    Why are some gay white males still practicing racism? I would think this group would be the most tolerant, considering the struggles they've had to go through.

User Detail :  

Name : A. Will, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : R.N., Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mark Bentley
    Participant
    Unfortunately, it seems the most common way for a downtrodden individual to gain self-confidence is to put down somebody else. It's a common theme. I was born and raised in the South, in the Southern Baptist church, so I certainly grew up around racism. Since coming to terms with my sexuality, I have opened my eyes to the subject of diversity. My employer stresses diversity, not just as a class to take but as a way of life in the business. I am active in many aspects of the diversity network at work, which helps me learn about my own actions and misconceptions. I work very hard to be aware of what I'm saying, thinking and doing. Not everybody wants to do that, or is as fortunate to be employed by a company that is willing to go as far as it takes. Unless any individual is willing to work at unlearning bad behaviors, well, you and I know the obvious results.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark Bentley, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : UFMCC - Cathedral of Hope, Age : 39, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Financial analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dan
    Being a gay man means only one thing: That I prefer to have sex with other men. Who I have sex with does not make me a more enlightened person than anyone else, regardless of their gender or skin color. There's a difference between being gay and being a gay and identifying as an active citizen and participant in the gay cultural and political community. Not everyone who is gay chooses to be a part of the gay community and practice the social norms of that community, of which tolerance and respect for everyone is key.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 31, City : Hayward, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A.R.
    Participant
    I agree with you. I wish I could answer that. I'm still trying to figure out why a group of people who have been so reviled and persecuted would also be fatphobic.

User Detail :  

Name : A.R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 30, City : Astoria, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Actor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Mendy Johnson
    Participant
    Because they benefit from 'white privilege.'

User Detail :  

Name : Mendy Johnson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : celibate, Race : African American, Seminole, Religion : Native American, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Associate Producer - Web, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matthew
    Participant
    I have wondered the same thing. I am a gay white male and don't get it. I think it is like any form of racism or prejudice. My theory goes like this: if you are self-serving (greedy) and believe there is just so much of the world to go around, you will structure conflict and reasons to deny others out of this limited existence. This need to slander, rate and process in an emotionally detached manner other people, customs or ideas reflects more on the amount of fear that one will not have enough in this lifetime. And unfortunately, gay white males are not the only minority that practices racism. It could also be that they face so much prejudice that they wish to pass it on. Another less-than-lofty thought process for any minority group.

User Detail :  

Name : Matthew, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Alma31461
    Participant
    Racism is a learned behavior. It is not specific to sexual orientation, race, gender, age, religion or national origin. And trust me, there are white female lesbians who have the same problem just like black, Hispanic, Asian, Muslim and Irish Americans. The good thing about learned behavior is that it can be un-learned. And most people learn quicker from someone who leads by example. Every time you refuse to practice racism, you teach at least one person the definition of common sense.

User Detail :  

Name : Alma31461, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 48, City : Kempner, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : contract employment, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Iteki21237
    Participant
    Why are some black people homophobic? Why would a people who have struggled so much with intolerance and hatred themselves practice such hatred toward another minority? In terms of far-reaching messages, I know there are a hell of a lot more black artists singing 'Put a gun to the fag's head' than there are queer artists calling for the lynching or oppression of other minorities. You will excuse me for answering a question with a question, but I think you will see my point.

User Detail :  

Name : Iteki21237, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Stockholm, Via Dublin, State : NA Country : Sweden, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Seamus28240
    Participant
    For the same reason black guys are among the most homophobic of general populations. Prejudice against you doesn't make you an open-minded spirit. If anything, it makes you more hardened and more likely to invoke the MOPE (Most Oppressed Peoples on Earth) syndrome and put down other minority groups.

User Detail :  

Name : Seamus28240, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Charlestown, State : MA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower class, 

Craig31903
    Participant
    Because you are an African American, you may better understand by reading a few of my experiences. A friend coming over for drinks was angry because a black man walking with his five-year-old son said in a loud voice: 'Look, son. Point and say, Faggot!' I was walking around the lake with an African-American boyfriend. We weren't holding hands. We were just talking and laughing. Two black women on a bench in the shade yelled, 'Hey, are you two fags?' Now, I would never say, 'Hey, are you two niggers?' But I hear this kind of thing a lot. Why would people who understand the harm and hurt of being called 'nigger' use a word like 'faggot' and think it's acceptable? Why would a group that understands oppression or knows what it's like to have someone falsely assume you smoke crack, are a criminal or are in a gang walk past you with fear in their eyes or act homophobic? Is it rare to hear homophobia and hatred of gays in rap music, and if not, wouldn't a group that has gone through other people seeing them as the enemy be more understanding and shun hating an entire group of people? It's the same principle.

User Detail :  

Name : Craig31903, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

MATT
    Participant
    Racism is not based merly on status alone. People inharit some racist ideas from there surondings. A gay male may be hated and riticuled by some but his fater or a relative may have taught him that black do not deserive what white people have no matter what. I do agree that this is a very wrong and idiotic practic but we can not change the past of what people have learned, but we can teach them or explain how it could be wrong that they think that way one day. But I belive that the gay comunitty does need to show and unite with everyone no matter thier race gender or sexual orientation.

User Detail :  

Name : MATT, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : Pheonix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Unemployed, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.