Quality of life for the childless elderly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ROY
    I have two children, grown and gone. If I had not had children, I feel I would have missed an interesting, challenging part of life. Could I have done without children? Yes. Would I have children if I could make the choice again? Yes. My daughter said, 'Don't worry Dad, you can live with me if you cannot take care of yourself.' I told her that would never happen because I would not burden her with caring for an elderly person and that although I loved her unconditionally we had had our time together and taking care of me in my old age was not one of her responsibilities in this life. I think she understood that. The bottom-line answer to your question is that your life is what you make it, whether you have children or not. Many people who have children are old and alone despite having them. The people who are telling you that sorrow awaits you if you don't have children are revealing what they think, not what will happen for you.

User Detail :  

Name : ROY, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 63, City : Butler, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : doctor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Crystal
    To older people or those who work with them: Is the quality of life for elderly people who have no children worse than for those who do have kids? I'm childless and don't plan on having children, and I always hear "you'll be sorry when you're old and alone." Is this true?

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 30's, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Office Manager, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Porky
    Participant
    Although children can be a problem, they also create interest. I think that if you have any meaningful relationship with your children, you gain from it. And all grandchildren are perfect. Just ask. If you don't want to have children, then form some friendships with people who are the age your children would be. It's part of the experience of life.

User Detail :  

Name : Porky, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 60+, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Cheryl S.
    Children behave the way they are raised - even as adults. If children are given everything and never have to give anything back, they continue to give nothing back as adults. If children are taught the joy of giving, they continue to give as adults. If children are raised by mean-spirited parents, when the parent are old and need their children, their children will respond in a mean-spirited way. You get what you give.

User Detail :  

Name : Cheryl S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 51, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rebecca30079
    Participant
    I have worked in a nursing home for four years. I can count the number of clients who had their children visit them on one hand. As far as I can see, except for retirement home workers, older people living in care see very few people, regardless of how big their family is.

User Detail :  

Name : Rebecca30079, Gender : F, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, 

Pete S.
    Participant
    Good question, Crystal, hopefully I can help you sort out a good answer. First, let's qualify what is meant by 'elderly'. I'm 51 and my wife is 42. We married 6 years ago and it is the first marriage for us both. Neither of us has children and we agreed that we didn't want them because we were kind of set in our ways and didn't have the best childhoods ourselves. Is our quality of life worse? Beats me. We go to the theme parks in Orlando on a regular basis, we engage in recreational activities and enjoy the time we spend together. We compensate, to some extent, by having pets - LOTS of pets. We are the proud parents of 2 dogs, 11 cats, 4 birds and fish. All of those critters are as special to us as another family's children are to them. If there is a difference in the quality of our lives as oppsed to those with children, well, I just don't see it. By the way, who says you have to be 'old and alone'?

User Detail :  

Name : Pete S., Gender : M, Age : 51, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Nicky
    Participant
    Crystal, please don't let other people make this kind of decision for you. If you don't want kids, then stick to your convictions. I have been berated and verbally attacked for not wanting kids, and have stuck to my guns. I have never wanted them and have never regretted it. I too have worked in many a nursing home and the majority of the residents might get a visit at x-mas time, otherwise they're ignored by their kids. There are a couple of websites you might enjoy:www.fred.net/turtle/kids/kid2 and childfree.com. There are too many people on this earth now and the poor planet is suffering because of it. More people need to chose to not breed. I see a lot of people who have kids because it's expected, not because they want them, then they're neglected, or abused. Again, please don't let anyone pressure you into it. Believe me, you're not missing a thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicky, Gender : F, Religion : Pagan, Age : 46, City : Ft Worth, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.