Pumping up the volume…

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Linda22940
    Participant
    I agree wholeheartedly with Tracy. I think that White Christians are about the quietest (read also most conservative in speech and dress?) of the bunch. Jewish and African American are definately different cultures with different ideas of appropriate volumes that are acceptable in public.

User Detail :  

Name : Linda22940, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : East Hadddam, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cliff S.
    I must agree that there other cultures that are the same. It does not matter where you live, it's everywhere. I believe these people have not been educated in respect and how to act in a civilized fashion. It seems they lack the intelligence to realize just how ignorant and uncivilized they act. They just can't imagine why people feel the way they do! Why whites and others have this obsession with mimicking those morons is insulting to the rest us us who do have self-respect and pride; this applies to all Americans.

User Detail :  

Name : Cliff S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Scientologist, Age : 46, City : Va. Beach, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Nuclear Power industry, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Preethi
    Participant
    You're making some really sweeping generalizations here when you say Asian people are loud. What does loud have to do with race? Loud has to do with personality. And may I please point out that there is no such language as 'Hindu.' We Asians have been a multicultural lot for centuries now and speak hundreds of languages and dialects, but we don't go around speaking loudly in 'Hindu.'

User Detail :  

Name : Preethi, City : Bangalore, State : NA Country : India, 

Sharon28095
    Participant
    It's not an African American thing. It's what you were taught by your parents growing up. I have two White cousins who grew up in down town Battle Creek, Michigan. They are exactly the same way. Super loud music coming from their cars. Shouting at each other and their friends. I beleive it is because they were not taught by their parents that you do not need to shout in order to communicate. They were not taught that others may not be as interested in their music (rap, rock & country) as they are. Their Mother was famous for shouting instead of speaking at a reasonable tone. Not just when she was angry, but a majority of the time. She'd shout racial remarks at her Asian neighbor across the street. She'd play super loud music from her home stereo to anoy her neighbors whom she did not like. She'd shout at her husband about why he was 5 minutes later than expected. She would shout all the time. They are very much are a product of their environment. If it is what you are raised around and you have not been taught any different, you will continue the disrespectful behavior. Let me add to this, many of their white friends are the same way. I grew up in a mostly white community and there are teens and adults around here that do the same thing. It has nothing to do with race or color.

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon28095, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 27, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dawne
    Participant
    It's not Hindu dear, that is a religion, it's Hindi--this is the official language of India. But they also have many more languages in India besides Hindi-- I might add. :-) dhanyavaad (thank u) see, I even said it quiet :-)

User Detail :  

Name : Dawne, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : LeRoy, State : MI Country : United States, 

Dawne
    Participant
    Hi, I have a sincere question for u, yes I know it is Hindi and not Hindu :-) And I have read of how India has so many different languages, I am curious as to how did so many hundreds of languages come about in 1 country?? Thanks in advance!

User Detail :  

Name : Dawne, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : LeRoy, State : MI Country : United States, 

Chris D.
    I find it interesting that you assumed loud and boisterous to be negative terms. I agree with you about people exhibiting a 'love of life' and consider loud, boisterous behavior to be one of the best ways. I can't speak for the writer of the original question, but I didn't see his words as being loaded or negative. But that may be me coming from my Puerto Rican heritage not being able to imagine rowdy celebration as a bad thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, Age : 32, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Production Management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John29234
    Participant
    Chill out Preethi, she probably meant to write 'Hindi' and she gave the example of that and Cantonese. She doesn't have to list EVERY language on the Asian continent to get her point across!

User Detail :  

Name : John29234, City : Chestnut, State : NY Country : United States, 
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.