Pumping up the volume…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Tracy P.
    I grew up in Detroit and have had many friends of all races. One thing I have noticed: African Americans seem to be very loud and boisterous, even in everyday situations. My neighbors will shout across the street instead of walking or calling. I have not noticed this in other races. Are there any explanations?

User Detail :  

Name : Tracy P., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Redford, State : MI Country : United States, 

Kim H.
    Participant
    Wow! You've used really loaded (negative) words to describe the African Americans you observed. It tells me that you have already passed a certain type of judgment on their behavior. Could you be comparing them to your own culture? Is your culture the only culture that others should aspire to be like? These are just questions you might think about when you observe people different from yourself and the language (words) that you use to describe what you see. I like to think that we are a passionate people, that we love life and like the bigness in living life in a much fuller way than many other people. I like to think that we are colorful people in our manner of style, dress, dance, music and language. I like to think that these are the things that we embrace rather than the labels of loud and boisterous. In light of your question, I find it funny that America's dominant culture is constantly embracing (co-opting) many aspects of the African-American culture and practically claiming them as their own. As a side note, you might want to hang around Jews, Italians, Latins (just to name a few) and find them exhibiting the same "love of life" behavior as African Americans.

User Detail :  

Name : Kim H., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 43, City : Minneapolis, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Actress, Playwright and Director, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Unknown27391
    Participant
    Blacks are not louder. If you want to talk about loud, just be around Asian people speaking in Chinese or Cantonese or Hindu, Hispanics speaking Spanish, white women when things don't go their way or white men when people don't look up to them . Blacks are not naturally loud. Your group of friends are individuals. I am sure if they are around their friends or around other people besides yourself, they would be loud.

User Detail :  

Name : Unknown27391, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

MAM22319
    Participant
    I thought it was a fair question. For example, the homes in my neighborhood are all very close to one another. My bedroom is on the streetside. I have only one set of black neighbors caddy-corner to me. (There are other black families on the street, but they are not adjacent to my home.) Several times I have been awoken by the black family closest to me. In the middle of my sleep, it sounds like they are having a fight. I look out the window and they are just standing in the driveway talking to each other. It's not a fight at all. I don't understand why this family talks so loudly after midnight - outside. I have to believe they are not aware that they are being so loud. I do not think they disturb their neighbors on purpose because in all other things they are great neighbors. On the other hand, the other black families on the street are extremely quiet. I can't decide if it is cultural or specific to this family. Regardless, I don't think the original question was worded negatively. I grew up in a very mixed area and have always noticed that whites tend to be a little more reserved/quiet than other races.

User Detail :  

Name : MAM22319, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Chase
    I have loud and quiet friends of all races. I never saw louder white people in my life than when I went to New Orleans (or pick any party tourist spot). I also have to agree that people of color, whether black, Hispanic or whatever, have a zest for life that sometimes cannot be contained.

As a final point, so many other races (especially white) are taking their cue from "black" fashion, music and way of life, that the question of loudness may be moot in a few more years. We're all going to be the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Chase, Gender : F, Race : Multi-cultural, City : Jersey City, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Self-employed, 

Jay
    Participant
    I certainly can appreciate 'love of life' because I have plenty of it myself, and I do not pass judgement on ANYone....I merely observe. What I have observed is that many blacks DO talk louder than others. 'Love of life' is fine, but when in a place where respectful quiet should be practiced such as a library or movie theater, I have observed that blacks have more of a tendency to talk loud. I dont think Tracy P. was passing judgement at all...just observing what many of us have observed before.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Age : 24, City : Asheville, State : NC Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Bill B.
    What the original questioner sees as an issue of ethnicity may be one of class. He probably lives in a poorer, urban neighborhood where, regardless of ethnicity, the decibel level can get pretty irritating. As for your remarks about the conditions under which white folk get loud ... it sounds to me like you've got some negative judgments to overcome yourself.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill B., Gender : M, Race : German/Hispanic, Age : 44, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John B.
    Participant
    Coming from a pretty uptight white middle class background, and being naturally loud and boisterous myself, when I was a kid I always wondered why everyone was whispering and why I was always being shushed. Different cultures accomodate different people better; in some cultures it's easier on the naturally quiet and reserved, and in others it's easier on noisy extroverts. There's not really a why; just a not-very-important difference.

User Detail :  

Name : John B., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 42, City : Rural area, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : College professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Nancy
    Participant
    This question has come up before on Y?Forum and I have to agree that African Americans seem 'louder' than other ethnic groups. Nothing on this board applies to ALL members of any ethnic group, and I don't think this question has anything to do with wanting people to be white. I have lived in several areas of the country and I have noticed that African Americans (young ones) are louder than their counterparts of other ethnic groups. Whether it's yelling to each other across public areas or standing together yelling at each other, it appears to be fairly common. It's not a bad thing, just unusual to us white folks who have grown up with the idea that we should remain relatively inconspicuous. And please understand that young people standing around making a lot of noise do nothing to reassure older people, who tend to be intimidated by teenagers no matter what their color. If anyone has a theory on the cultural differences of noise, please speak up!

User Detail :  

Name : Nancy, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 31, City : Newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dean
    Participant
    I am a white South African. I had to giggle at your question. Black people in my country (So I believe) consider 'talking softly to one another' as telling lies or keeping secrets. The Black People in South Africa almost shout, and they do this standing right next to each other. Also consider this, a bunch of white American's were dining in a local restaurant where I live. Out of all the patrons there the Americans were definitely the most vocal. Drawing huge attention to themselves from not only White South Africans, but Black South Africans too.

User Detail :  

Name : Dean, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Johannesburg, State : NA Country : South Africa, Occupation : IT Engineer, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris32210
    Participant
    I have also noticed what you speak of, African-Americans being 'loud' in public places when others are not. I attribute this behavior to culture more than to race. I think it has more to do with growing up in an urban environment where being 'loud' is more common and acceptable, than with racial differences. I expect that whites (or others) from an urban environment would display similar behavior, and blacks growing up in the suburbs would not.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris32210, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 

Dee
    Participant
    The only way to understand African-Americans is to embrace the reality that Blacks, like other ethnic groups, are not monolithic. We represent the full range of personalities, ids, and egos as does any other group. So, while you'll find some African Americans 'loud and boistrous', others may be more quiet and reserved--it really depends upon the who, what, when, and where of a given situation rather than an ingrained cultural enigma. I'd agree though that, when we are in our comfort zones, many of us usually opt. to express ourselves more liberally than when we are aware of the scrutiny of others. Perhaps these patterns of socialization derive from managing the delicate demands of a need for cultural definition and individual identity.

User Detail :  

Name : Dee, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

marj
    Participant
    In my experience, people are people, and behavioral differences among them have nothing to do with race. My husband is Black, and people often ask him to repeat himself because he speaks softly. I have Latin friends that are loud, and some that are quiet. I know loud people of Italian heritage and some that I have to strain to hear. Putting people into groups probably has the potential for causing more discord and less individual pride. I think for myself, and I don't want anyone to tell me it's because I'm white or middle class or have a graduate degree. I thought that way before I got any degree or earned a decent living!

User Detail :  

Name : marj, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Human Resources, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Effie
    Participant
    It's not just because the color of their skin they are loud its their pesonality. I am loud sometimes and its not because I am white. Expressing yourself is who you are and if you don't like to hear them, my advice is to shut a window.

User Detail :  

Name : Effie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Mike20450
    Participant
    Niggers have to stand out-it is what they do best. From their gold chains,teeth fancey cars (which the cant afford)loud music and their pittifull display of money. Just watch (if you can)any black rap artist vidio. Its all about cars money and women.You can take a nigger out of the jungle but you cant take the jungle out of the nigger-----a nig is a nig s a nig

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20450, City : va beach, State : VA Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.